New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually drain from my main and fill in my sump. That way I don't have to lift my jugs as far. Anymore I fill a five gallon bucket and have a small pump to pump the water into my filer sock.

TLTGF said:
I don't know if there are stipulations with a clam needing a long-time set-up, but I've heard that they need some spectacular light.

I got good lighting... If I need to upgrade, someone please let me know. I hate looking like an idiot b/c lfs told me I was good...

research research research. be carefull with the LFS they don't always hire the smartest people. caught a guy going to sell some seahorses, to put in a tank with lions and triggers. most online sites will tell you if the fish is reef safe or reef safe with caution. and which are compatible with other reef fish. liveaquaria.com is great for that. plus liveaquaria.com with tell you what the fish and corals need to survive and thrive. Clowns are very territorial mine bite me when i put my hand in the tank. it don't hurt just makes me jump when i don't see him coming.

I woke up this morning and discovered my coral beauty dead.... :(... I did a parameters check and we are all in good levels. Even trates are low.. Idk. Clowns are fine, cardinal looks good... He was fine last night when I went to bed. Cuc was all on him and when I pulled it out it was stiff and had slime coming from it's mouth... RIP lil guy...

Yeah... Sucked. He was the center piece for the tank. Tried to bully me... Lol... I thought a bug fell in... Just fed the clowns and cardinal (wanted to see if they where acting weird) and they ate fine. Saw a bristle worm. Was reddish green... Any site to identify them? Never saw it before.

Oh man, can't even say it's the lfs stock. It sounds hollow, but sometimes these things happen. It sounds like you;ve been doing everything correctly and the water is fine so I see no immediate reason. And thats the part I hate. At least if something was off you could have a clue but with water stable it may remain a mystery. Have you checked the temperature and ph? even the salinity? Those are the only things I can think....

Some good flow? Good lord!!! Lol

lol Yeah, you may have some adjusting to do. I place mine higher up and the flow more upwards to avoid the sand piles. It's alot of trial and error with me to get the perfect flow going.

carey said:
Oh man, can't even say it's the lfs stock. It sounds hollow, but sometimes these things happen. It sounds like you;ve been doing everything correctly and the water is fine so I see no immediate reason. And thats the part I hate. At least if something was off you could have a clue but with water stable it may remain a mystery. Have you checked the temperature and ph? even the salinity? Those are the only things I can think....

Yeah. 1.022, temp 75, ph is 8.0, low, but I'll check later since the lights just came on.

carey said:
Do you always keep your tank so cool? I have a hard enough time maintaining 79 degrees LOL

I thought that was a good temp ???? It needs to be higher?

If it;s working for you then it's probably fine. I've just seen most people at about 78 -81 degrees. I didnt mean to worry you or anything. lol

Back
Top Bottom