40 Slow Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have decided to make this my last tank (cue "awww") and want to do it very slow, once, and right. Scrapped the idea of an Orinoco only tank.

I have my tank, stand, and substrate so far.

List of Supplies:

Tank- 40gal Breeder (have)

Substrate- Bottom- Floramax (have both)
Top- Caribsea Supernaturals
Stand- A very sturdy desk. (have)

Filter- Fluval 406 or 405

Heater- 100 or 150w

Lighting- Unknown

C02- A possibility (dont fish give off enough c02?)

Stocklist:

1x L200 Green Phantom Pleco

10x Celestial Pearl Danio

10x Rummynose Tetra

5x Denison Barb (Roseline Shark)

Plantlist:

-Camboba
-Eleocharis
-Heteranthera
-Ludwigia
-Pistia Stratiotes
-Pygmy Chain Sword
-Red Hygrophila
-Sagittaria
-Vallisneria Spiralis
-Variable Leaf Water Hyacinth

-Still need a small ground cover type plant. I dont want the back of the tank to be visible for the most part.
-I also have about 20 root tabs for plants.

Decor:

-Tree root type driftwood
-Regular smaller driftwood
-Small rocks (have)
-One or two larger rocks for the background

Advice Needed!

Why did you give up on the tree root setup? Those always look amazing to me. Just trouble finding the right DW?

On another note I live in PA and love That Fish Place. That place is so amazing.

Hard to find. Though I work for a landscaping company..I may make my own we'll see. May go with stones or both. I like the look of some stones.

I have only been there once since its so far away (bout an hour and a half) but is is very nice there!

I had bought some DW like that off ebay but had little luck so I scrapped the idea completely and just went with Malaysian. Looks decent but not as how I had first envisioned it. I'm hoping you have better luck than me if you try. Are you still doing an Orinoco type setup even though all the species aren't from there or did you just scrap that idea completely?

I was originally going to do an Orinoco type setup to try to breed some plecos. Now I am not sure what type of tank this will be. It will be close to Orinoco somewhat but there will be lots of differences. I looked around today near me for tree root style wood. No luck but I will keep looking.

The stocking will definately change as well. Still thinking about what I want...Maybe some more plecos.

I wouldn't be much help with pleco advice. I looked at some of the dwarf ones for my tank since I've never kept any of those. In other words I know next to nothing lol

FYI... the fishneedit fixtures are back in stock... I know you had said in another thread you would get one if they were in stock.

co2 is definitely a valuable addition, especially considering that 2x39w is a lot of light over a 40b. Fish don't really give off much co2. You'll always have 7-10ppm with good surface agitation, but with 2x39w over that tank, it'll be a constant battle with BBA if you don't have it.

FYI... the fishneedit fixtures are back in stock... I know you had said in another thread you would get one if they were in stock.

co2 is definitely a valuable addition, especially considering that 2x39w is a lot of light over a 40b. Fish don't really give off much co2. You'll always have 7-10ppm with good surface agitation, but with 2x39w over that tank, it'll be a constant battle with BBA if you don't have it.

Definately going to pick one up next week (havent been paid yet and cant spend just yet). I hope they are still there then. Should I get all white bulbs with 6700k color temp?

Also does the c02 affect fish that like highly oxygenated water? I dont think it could be possible to have both, such as a river setup thats heavily planted?

I have a good idea what pleco(s) I may want. I have no idea what kind of other fish though since Rummynose Tetras need an established tank and the Roseline Sharks need 55+gal. I could rehome the sharks as they grow in my 55gal, but I dont know...

Definately going to pick one up next week (havent been paid yet and cant spend just yet). I hope they are still there then. Should I get all white bulbs with 6700k color temp?

Also does the c02 affect fish that like highly oxygenated water? I dont think it could be possible to have both, such as a river setup thats heavily planted?

I have a good idea what pleco(s) I may want. I have no idea what kind of other fish though since Rummynose Tetras need an established tank and the Roseline Sharks need 55+gal. I could rehome the sharks as they grow in my 55gal, but I dont know...

That's a good start, bulb wise. As far as CO2 and O2, as I answered you in your last thread, they are completely independent of one another. Please refer to that thread for more information.

With Limnophila Aromatica, HC, Eichhornia diversifolia,
and several of your other plants, you are going to need CO2. DIY CO2 would be borderline on a 40B due to size a circulation issues.

As far as plants go, I would like to know:

-Camboba (which one)
-Eleocharis (Which one)
-Heteranthera (I assume stargrass?)
-Ludwigia (Huge family, which one)
-Red Hygrophila (Do you mean Alternanthra reineckii?)

The plants I am unsure of as of yet. I am looking into those kinds and just put them down if I needed to go back and remember what I am looking for. Some may or may not be used as I go through scape options.

I definately plan on Pressurized CO2. Is a pH monitor worth the money? Since I am going high O2 and CO2?

I also read a good bit, in addition to what you wrote (which I am grateful of!), and have a good idea on what I plan on doing now.

User said:
The plants I am unsure of as of yet. I am looking into those kinds and just put them down if I needed to go back and remember what I am looking for. Some may or may not be used as I go through scape options.

I definately plan on Pressurized CO2. Is a pH monitor worth the money? Since I am going high O2 and CO2?

I also read a good bit, in addition to what you wrote (which I am grateful of!), and have a good idea on what I plan on doing now.

Imo, the probes are not necessary. There are better uses of money.

I hoped so as well. Thanks for your input! I will need that money for this tank and another tank I plan on making.

Back
Top Bottom