Am I cycled??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigHoss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I started a fisn-in cycle abuot 2 months ago. After several fish deaths:( from ammonia I found this place and LOTS of helpful info. I've been testing religously everyday and doing pwc like a madman. I have a 12 Gal Eclipse system with the bio wheel. I also installed a small air stone bubbler in the back. I have 4 fish remaining and 3 ghost shrimp. I work for our local zoo and was able to get a sponge and a handfull of substrate from our aquariums.

My readings as of last night were

AMMO=.25
Nitrite= 0
NitrAte=20
Ph= 7.4

My question is this.

I never saw a Nitrite spike. That is, I Never even saw the color purple. After having all the deaths and trying to keep the remaining fish alive I put the Sponge in the filter box and spread the rocks out. My tank went from about a Ammo=2.0 NO2=0 NO3=0 to a reading of Ammo=.25 NO2=0 NO3=20 over the last month. I wanted to know If I am cycled? Its been about a week since I Put the sponges in.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You will not be cycled until you have a 0 ammonia reading..... you're probably close.

Did the sponge come from an aquarium? If so, was it kept wet during the transit from that tank to your tank? The gravel wouldn't really help too much.

LyndaB said:
You will not be cycled until you have a 0 ammonia reading..... you're probably close.

Did the sponge come from an aquarium? If so, was it kept wet during the transit from that tank to your tank? The gravel wouldn't really help too much.

Yes the sponge came from an established aquarium and I kept it wet until I put it in the tank. So is it ok that I didn't see any nitrites at all? It went straight to nitrates after seeding.

Thats pretty common in my experience. The last tank I cycled I never saw any nitrites at all. Just wait a couple more days then test it, all ammonia should be gone by then.

skenny said:
Thats pretty common in my experience. The last tank I cycled I never saw any nitrites at all. Just wait a couple more days then test it, all ammonia should be gone by then.

I'm going to test tonight and they should be at zero if they continue at the same rate they have been. How long after the reading are at 0 before adding fish? Also how long should I leave the sponges in the tank and filter?

well i would wait about 2 days then test again just to make sure. the sponges now contain beneficial bacteria that are essential for the tank, i would keep at least the one in the filter, and add another sponge to seed it, then if you wish replace the old sponge with the new one.

skenny said:
well i would wait about 2 days then test again just to make sure. the sponges now contain beneficial bacteria that are essential for the tank, i would keep at least the one in the filter, and add another sponge to seed it, then if you wish replace the old sponge with the new one.

The sponges I'm asking about are the ones I used to seed my tank. How long should I keep them in there?

The sponges I'm asking about are the ones I used to seed my tank. How long should I keep them in there?

I'd keep them in there as long as you can, for a while longer, at least a month IMO. Those seeded sponges could be doing all the work right now and if you remove them your cycle might disappear. I'd also keep testing for at least a few days once ammonia goes to 0 just to make sure everything stays at 0 consistently before you add fish.

Yeah, you have to keep that sponge in there for a minimum of 4-6 weeks while another one seeds beside it. Otherwise, you remove the sponge, you remove your cycle and you're back where you started.

Ok that sounds good. I just did another test and here are my results

Ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrAte=40

I did a wc and retested the nitrates and got them down to 20. I will leave the sponges in for awhile then. The ghost shrimp seem to really like them.

BigHoss said:
Ok that sounds good. I just did another test and here are my results

Ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrAte=40

I did a wc and retested the nitrates and got them down to 20. I will leave the sponges in for awhile then. The ghost shrimp seem to really like them.

The numbers say you're cycled....

Well it's been a few days now and my results have been the same everyday

Ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=20

I'd have to say I'm cycled!!! YAY!!

BigHoss said:
Well it's been a few days now and my results have been the same everyday

Ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=20

I'd have to say I'm cycled!!! YAY!!

Go get your fish, name one Chumlee.. Big Hoss

Thanks. Now it's time to add fish!!

Here is a pic of my cycled tank. Going to go get some fish tonight (finally)!!

Attachments

• image-3069323849.jpg
    image-3069323849.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom