More filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Jcolon I was replying while you were!

No problem ... Start with the Java's and Anubias ... it takes effort to kill those plants. Plus they are filter feeders instead of root feeders, so you'd dose a liquid fert like seachem comprehensive instead of root tabs.

So I'm going to go for the gold metal of dumb questions. What do you mean adjust the flow and why would I need to?

Some filters allow you to adjust the flow to fit different tank sizes .. example my Aquaclear 70 flow can be adjusted to handle tanks from 50gallons to 70gallons ... some filters are just a little too strong for some tanks and the next thing you know your fish go splat against the glass.

I'm not as familiar with your filter, but you can check the instructions to see if it's adjustable.

jcolon said:
No problem ... Start with the Java's and Anubias ... it takes effort to kill those plants. Plus they are filter feeders instead of root feeders, so you'd dose a liquid fert like seachem comprehensive instead of root tabs.

Umm you lost me... Do I need to feed the plants when I plant them?

Umm you lost me... Do I need to feed the plants when I plant them?

Technically they'll feed themselves via photosynthesis ... but plants still need nutrients like Potassium, Nitrogen, Iron etc for best plant growth and development. The nitrogen they get from nitrates and ammonia, but the others come from minerals in PWC's and ferts you'd have to dose.

Ok great! I've decided to take my 10g filter back without the media so I can use it in my new bigger filter. Plus I'm going to listen and get a plant or two and the plant fertilizer. Thanks guys for all the advice!!!

Good move. A single, correctly size filter will be the best in the long run. The idea about keeping the media was a good one. Good luck!!!!

Ok, got the tetra ex20 like I should have from the beginning. I put the cycled media from the old filter in it. And I bought a Anubias. Both have been in the tank since 5 tonight. My water looks like crap!! Even cloudier than it was to start with. PH is good. Ammonia is .25. Here is the thing that's freaking me out: nitrite is 2.0!! And nitrates are 10. I'm thinking water change, but how much?

A tip to lower levels is to do larger pwc back to back or separated by a few hours, doing a 15% water change may help for smaller levels of toxins but the higher levels need large changes to properly dilute them. But you can always just change what you want, test the parameters again then adjust your pwc amount as you go, this is best I think.
Ps, don't ever listen to a pet store worker, really ever. A petco fish dept worker once told me he bred angelfish and several other types of fish, then proceeded to tell me all the fish I bough would probably die because fish are extremely hard to keep unless adult sized when purchased.

Yep, never listening to pet store people about fish again! Only listening to advise from this forum! Thanks again everyone for all your helpful knowledge.

Good ... going with the larger filter will payoff in the end ... and it should be instant cycled since you moved the media over. Keep us updated ... and stay on the PWC's. When you change filters, sometimes things get stirred up and your parameters go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom