New tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks rodeo, fish seem to be all good 3 days down the line I checked my nitrate today and others ammonia and nitrite at 0 but nitrate at 70-80ppm so I did a 80% water change to reduce it.

Since I've done that one of the cardinals is hovering around the airstone and one is hiding in the corner. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With the wacked out parameters he probably just found a place to hide.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah I wouldn't worry about hiding. If your water is fine and thy aren't getting in fights with other fish, which they obviously aren't in your situation, then I wouldn't worry about it. Fish get shy and they will come around. Sometimes they get freaked about by us glaring at them from the other side of the glass too.

Well the fish are fine I presume just having a nap before they have been in the tank for 2 weeks now, I'm now looking at getting a bottom feeder ive attached a pic of my tank again my LPS has advised juli corys as they don't grow that big and said to get 3 of them. Eventually I will have a betta FYI.

What do you guys think?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427395441.695140.jpg

Well the fish are fine I presume just having a nap before they have been in the tank for 2 weeks now, I'm now looking at getting a bottom feeder ive attached a pic of my tank again my LPS has advised juli corys as they don't grow that big and said to get 3 of them. Eventually I will have a betta FYI.

What do you guys think?View attachment 268451

30 Liters = 7.9g. With gravel maybe 7.5 - 7g of water. That is a very small tank. I would not put Cories in any tank under 10g. Unless they are Pygmy Corys and you aren't adding other fish except tiny ones.

True Julii Corys are very rare. The LFS probably has Corydoras trilineatus. They get a bit bigger and are commonly mislabeled C julii.

Regardless, both species are too large to keep the recommended 6 or more in such a small tank. Even 3 of them won't fit. They need room to grow and swim and they do best with soft sand. Rounded smooth gravel is ok. Beware, some colored gravels are so cheaply made the color starts flaking off.

Stocking a 7g tank ?

A single male Betta
You can try Ghost Shrimp.

Or

A group of micro Rasboras and Cherry Shrimp

Or

just Cherry Shrimp

A Betta, if that is your choice, will appreciate a live plant or two. Try Anubias as they can rest on the leaves. Or Java Fern. Both are not "planted". Tie or glue them to a piece of safe rock or driftwood.

Betta tanks should not have ANY plastic plants. Sharp edges can tatter the fins. Silk plants are best if you want to use fake. No sharp edged decor either.

Bright gravel competes with your fish IMHO. Later if you want to change, consider white or black sand. Makes a better frame for your fish to my eyes.

Enjoy your tank !

This was my last Betta boy in his 10g palace.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427397241.619881.jpg

30 Liters = 7.9g. With gravel maybe 7.5 - 7g of water. That is a very small tank. I would not put Cories in any tank under 10g. Unless they are Pygmy Corys and you aren't adding other fish except tiny ones.

True Julii Corys are very rare. The LFS probably has Corydoras trilineatus. They get a bit bigger and are commonly mislabeled C julii.

Regardless, both species are too large to keep the recommended 6 or more in such a small tank. Even 3 of them won't fit. They need room to grow and swim and they do best with soft sand. Rounded smooth gravel is ok. Beware, some colored gravels are so cheaply made the color starts flaking off.

Stocking a 7g tank ?

A single male Betta
You can try Ghost Shrimp.

Or

A group of micro Rasboras and Cherry Shrimp

Or

just Cherry Shrimp

A Betta, if that is your choice, will appreciate a live plant or two. Try Anubias as they can rest on the leaves. Or Java Fern. Both are not "planted". Tie or glue them to a piece of safe rock or driftwood.

Betta tanks should not have ANY plastic plants. Sharp edges can tatter the fins. Silk plants are best if you want to use fake. No sharp edged decor either.

Bright gravel competes with your fish IMHO. Later if you want to change, consider white or black sand. Makes a better frame for your fish to my eyes.

Enjoy your tank !

This was my last Betta boy in his 10g palace.
View attachment 268454

Thanks that's very helpful and your betta is gorgeous.

Would Pygmy corys be ok with gravel?

So went to LFS to get corys in the end came home with a betta which I fell in love with and forgot about the corys.

Is a bottom feeder necessary? If so I was thinking about just getting ghost shrimp if not then I'll just leave my tank as it is.

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice I really appreciate it.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427480886.182804.jpg

So went to LFS to get corys in the end came home with a betta which I fell in love with and forgot about the corys.

Is a bottom feeder necessary? If so I was thinking about just getting ghost shrimp if not then I'll just leave my tank as it is.

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice I really appreciate it.View attachment 268527

A bottom feeder is not necessary. Just gravel vac when you do water changes. If you want to try ghost shrimp then make sure you've got some thick plants for the shrimp to hide in.

Nice fish! You re very welcome for any help provided. Glad you got a Betta & that you re enjoying your tank?

Back
Top Bottom