New tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sproutyrouty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a couple of questions about my set up as I'm a newbie to all this...

I have a 30litre tank no live plants a heater a filter a light and some decorations, I have also put dechlorinator in the tank.

In the cycle I'm currently at 0.25ppm ammonia, 4.0ppm nitrite, 5.0ppm nitrate.

Ive had the tank set up for about 2 weeks now originally it was cloudy which i presume what bacterial bloom that has now disappeared and I now have the readings above.

What would you say the next step for me is?

You seem pretty educated about cycling for a newbie! I would wait another week or so, maybe add some live plants while you wait (if you want to), then get a few animals. An important rule is don't add all your critters at once. If you haven't already decided on a species, for that size tank I would recommend African dwarf frogs, cherry shrimp, maybe five zebra danios, snails, or about six guppies.

I've done a lot of forum reading to be honest this is my first ever tropical tank

I gave a sample to the pet store about a week ago and they said the water was fine and gave me lampeye and endlers guppies... Big mistake none survived the night so I want to be precautious as I don't want the same to happen again.

I was thinking Cardinal tetras to start

Just not sure when is best time

You should add fish when the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all at the right level and have been for about a week.

Wait. That's all you can do. Dose ammonia to 2 daily as long as it's converting to 0 in 24 hours. Nitrites take longer but will drop eventually. Then you will be ready. Patience is key, as annoying as the process is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks the pet store advised me to do a 50% water change to which I was a bit reluctant as I didn't want to pull the bacteria out of my tank I've ordered a API kit just waiting for it to arrive for now the pet store test for free :)

Water changes are fine, your good bacteria live on surfaces & in your filter. What do you have in the filter?
Best to add fish when you have 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites. Nitrates should be 20 or below & the only way to control the nitrate level is by doing water changes. Best of luck.

i have the filter that came with the tank it has a chemical carbon cartridge in it, I've done a 50% change this morning also

That's an interesting shaped tank. When you are stocking it, keep in mind the shape in terms of the fish's swimming habits. There are certain types of active swimming fish that wouldn't do well in there. It would make a neat nano tank setup!

I was looking to stick with cardinals and eventually a betta and some form of bottom feeder not sure which yet, I want to get my tank actually up and running first without being dangerous for the fish to live in.

But if you have some others to recommend instead that would be great.

That sounds like good mix. A Betta would look good in there. Small cories, small plecos like clown or bristle nose, small gouramis like honey or sparkling (but probably not with a Betta), endlers live bearers, guppies, would also work. If you get a Betta, just stay away from any fish with similar fins that might resemble another Betta.

Brilliant thanks yes I've heard they like to nibble each other thanks for your advice I appreciate it :)

Most people don t use the carbon unless they re removing meds from the water. I d remove the carbon (cut open the filter & remove it but still use the filter). You can add Polyfill & ceramic bio balls or cylinders , too.

Ok so update I've started my tank from fresh due to advice from my local pets store.

He advised to start a fresh and buy some API quick start and come back tomorrow and get some hardy fish....

Is this good advice or just them wanting to make a quick buck?

Thanks in advance

Some people do fish in cycling, these a stickie about it under 'getting started'. You still need to test frequently & do WC s when needed.
Why did he tell you to start over???

He said my tank is stuck and the bacteria isn't doing the right thing cause the level were the same after a 50% change from 3 days ago.

I also had some sort orange algae in the tank aswell.

I said what type of hardy fish would you recommend as i want to get a betta eventually and he said zebra danios are too quick for bettas and suggested lemon tetras or glow light tetras.

He said my tank is stuck and the bacteria isn't doing the right thing cause the level were the same after a 50% change from 3 days ago.

I also had some sort orange algae in the tank aswell.

I said what type of hardy fish would you recommend as i want to get a betta eventually and he said zebra danios are too quick for bettas and suggested lemon tetras or glow light tetras.

Did you originally start with a fish less cycle?

Don't start the cycle over. You are two thirds of the way through. He is trying to make money out of you by selling you worthless products and fish that are not ready for your tank.

If he is selling you fish that he thinks could potentially come to harm you should find a new store if you can. I know it's a business but my LFS has argued with people about their water before now and sticks to dodgy deals on products.

You just need to hold out for another week and the ammonia and nitrites will fall to 0ppm on their own.

Make sure you are using the API liquid test kit to measure with and not the strips.

Test ph to make sure it is above 6 (not with strips if possible)

Back
Top Bottom