New tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes a fish less cycle I've already restarted my tank I did this yesterday :(

My ph is 7.2

The pets store is a massive multi chain company not just a local one (petsathome)

So am I best waiting it out again or getting this quick start?

Feeling a bit annoyed now he told me to change it all

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok no problem. Have you cleaned everything?

What size tank is this and what fish do you have in mind?

Get the API liquid test kit. It's half the price on Amazon. You are going to need this kit. You can buy it at pets at home but it's about £35.

You can do a fish in cycle. The key is to build up the stock very lightly and very slowly whilst testing your water with the kit. Get the seachem ammonia alert of Amazon too.

If you choose the right fish for your size tank and add them slowly (week by week) you will be cycled in a month as well as being able to put fish in the tank.

Where do you get ammonia from to do a fishless cycle?

I've ordered a Api test kit just waiting on its arrival.
It's a 30L tank so about 7 gallons

Yes I cleaned everything

I'm looking at the fish in cycle as we speak.

Eventually I want a betta in there but obviously not yet, maybe a couple of tiger or cherry barb to start the tank with.
I originally wanted cardinals

With this fish in cycle should I use the API quick start to get it going or let it do the work on its own?

Apologies for all the questions

With this fish in cycle should I use the API quick start to get it going or let it do the work on its own?

Apologies for all the questions

You don't need it no. It didn't have the correct bacteria in it.

I think the tank is too small for barbs and they will most likely nip or kill the betta. A single betta would do great in that tank. I have one in a 6 gallon tank.

You should buy some live plant's too. They will help with the cycle.

You don't need it no. It didn't have the correct bacteria in it.

I think the tank is too small for barbs and they will most likely nip or kill the betta. A single betta would do great in that tank. I have one in a 6 gallon tank.

You should buy some live plant's too. They will help with the cycle.

Do you know anyone else who has a tank? You can ask them to cut some of their sponge off and give it to you. The bacteria on the sponge will significantly increase the speed of your fish in cycle. Are you using the fish in cycle guide provided on this forum?

I don't Unfortunatly I'm having to do it from scratch, which would you recommend to start with then as I know I Definatly want a betta

That sounds like good mix. A Betta would look good in there. Small cories, small plecos like clown or bristle nose, small gouramis like honey or sparkling (but probably not with a Betta), endlers live bearers, guppies, would also work. If you get a Betta, just stay away from any fish with similar fins that might resemble another Betta.

This is 30 Liters with substrate it's probably only about 7g

This is not big enough for much besides the Betta, esp with it being a Hex tank so less surface area.

So holly, I'd politely disagree with all those recommendations. Plecos need 30g or larger. Guppies and Endlers are too brightly colored and would be attacked. Even Dwarf Cories should be in 10g or larger. Gouramis and Bettas fight.

I would add easy plants and maybe try some ghost Shrimp.

7g is way too small for Tetras or any schooling fish.

If you skip the Betta, there are a couple of options of Nano species.

My Betta in his 10g domain.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423392343.526966.jpg

I don't Unfortunatly I'm having to do it from scratch, which would you recommend to start with then as I know I Definatly want a betta

Yes you can start with the betta. But wait till the kit comes or make sure you change about 25% of the water daily until it shows up. Feed very sparsely until the cycle is complete and stick a seachem anmonia alert on the inside of the tank.

The tank size is only suitable for one betta. Pick a healthy active looking one with good fins and colouration.

Float the bag in the water for half and hour then add small amounts of your tank water to the bag over the course of an hour. Maintaining the water quality will then be your number 1 priority.

So tank update after my 100% water change i have just been and had it tested it showed...

0 ammonia
0.25 nitrite
0.25 nitrate

bit strange to say its completely fresh water (with dechlorinator)

What are they using to test it? If it's strips then you can't really go off them for accuracy.

That's why we advise on the liquid test kit you have ordered. Just wait till it comes and test it yourself.

They use a API liquid test the same one as I've ordered

Test kit came today so after my 100% water change the other day readings are now

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite between 0.25 and 0.50
Nitrate between 10 and 20ppm

Tested the tap water that was fine

What's the next step please

dont add any fish, snails, etc. until the tank is cycled... meaning, ammonia is turned to nitrate in 24 hours. then youll know its safe to stock!

What temp is the water? Slightly warmer (say 82) with good water movement & even an airstone will help with the cycle, too. Are you adding a tiny pinch of flakes or ammonia ?

Tank is around 25-26 and yes it's flake I'm using but I don't have any air circulating the tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423657218.640638.jpg

I find these results a bit weird due to the fact I did the 100% water change 3 days ago

Should I be doing a pwc? Or just leave it

Back
Top Bottom