sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
I think most sand, like child's play sand and pool filter sand as well as some sand blasting sand, the light colored one has silica also, it is even in beach sand, it is what they make glass with.

I can't say about the black diamond type sand, someone said it was a byproduct from coal, I thought it was actually sand, personally haven't had a chance to get any additional info...I would just check on what it is. Coal by product dust probably isn't good for you either, just wear the little hospital mask or shop mask and wash yourself and clothes to get the dust off. Even the crystal and pearl cat litter is made from it (silica gel). It is from natural sources.

oh ok. well thanks for the heads up! ill be cautious :)

can malaysia trumpet snails dig in pool filter sand? since it is a larger sand?
and what are geos? (sorry new to the hobby no experience at all haha)

also speaking of maintaining how often do you get the debris off the top of the sand?

Yes, MTS can burrow in PFS. They can burrow in gravel or sand. Geos is short for Geophagus... a species of cichlids.

As far as getting the debris off the sand, I just swirl the vacuum around about an inch or two above the debris. It gets swirled around and lifted off the sand. It is easier to keep clean than gravel.

Pic look awesome!!!
Austin.b- Thank you, we do things all the time we shouldn't I just know if any one is sensitive or has Asthma or breathing problems, and children prob shouldn't be around it. Information is good.

Thanks! I got the blasting sand from a tractor supply store.... It was 9 bucks for 50lbs. I'll be picking up pool filter sand this weekend for my last tank to see how I like it.

Yes, MTS can burrow in PFS. They can burrow in gravel or sand. Geos is short for Geophagus... a species of cichlids.

As far as getting the debris off the sand, I just swirl the vacuum around about an inch or two above the debris. It gets swirled around and lifted off the sand. It is easier to keep clean than gravel.

oh okay I will be getting MTS then..
how many would you recommend of a 20g high tank?

and ok i don't need cichlids... cause they will eat my shrimps haha

Pic look awesome!!!
Austin.b- Thank you, we do things all the time we shouldn't I just know if any one is sensitive or has Asthma or breathing problems, and children prob shouldn't be around it. Information is good.

i still need to read it...
I don't have much time at the moment. :p

oh okay I will be getting MTS then..
how many would you recommend of a 20g high tank?

and ok i don't need cichlids... cause they will eat my shrimps haha

They have little to no bioload on the tank so you can get as many as you want. I am happily snail free at the moment or I'd send you a bagful. Ask around your LFS, they will often give you some to get started with.

Thanks! I got the blasting sand from a tractor supply store.... It was 9 bucks for 50lbs. I'll be picking up pool filter sand this weekend for my last tank to see how I like it.

oh okay. well let me know what you think about it cause ill be deciding this week if i want blasting sand or pool filter sand. :)

They have little to no bioload on the tank so you can get as many as you want. I am happily snail free at the moment or I'd send you a bagful. Ask around your LFS, they will often give you some to get started with.

idk LFS down here blows.. cause all they care about is saltwater haha.

and idk i don't want too much snails cause they'll be like everywhere and it would be ugly to look at haha.

I set up two tanks, one with black sand and cream color gravel mix, and the other with gravel only. The tank with the gravel only, we've been having a VERY difficult time with ammonia spikes and cloudy water. Some of that was due to initial over feeding, but after empying it, cleaning the substrate, refilling with established water from the other tank, two weeks later, we're fighting another ammonia spike. The tank is not over populated. I'm convinced it's due to the inability to efficiently clean the poo that settles beneath the substrate surface. It's VERY difficult (impossible)to get it clean without taking more than 50% of the water out, every week.

45 gallon tank with sand/gravel mix, 2 Dwarf Gourami's, 6 tetras (3 bleeding hearts and 3 silver tips...wasn't intentional), 3 Yo-Yo loaches and 2 Otto's.

10 Gallon Euro with gravel, 2 Molly's, and 2 Mickey Mouse something or others and an Otto. (24 hours after putting the (2) molly's in the tank, we had 22 baby molly's...that quickly got taken to the fish store.)

I'm very tempted to start the 10 gallon over again with sand instead of the gravel.

idk LFS down here blows.. cause all they care about is saltwater haha.

and idk i don't want too much snails cause they'll be like everywhere and it would be ugly to look at haha.

Keep in mind MTS will burrow into the substrate during the day and only come out at night. Some folks may already have MTS and not know about it.

I set up two tanks, one with black sand and cream color gravel mix, and the other with gravel only. The tank with the gravel only, we've been having a VERY difficult time with ammonia spikes and cloudy water. Some of that was due to initial over feeding, but after empying it, cleaning the substrate, refilling with established water from the other tank, two weeks later, we're fighting another ammonia spike. The tank is not over populated. I'm convinced it's due to the inability to efficiently clean the poo that settles beneath the substrate surface. It's VERY difficult (impossible)to get it clean without taking more than 50% of the water out, every week.

45 gallon tank with sand/gravel mix, 2 Dwarf Gourami's, 6 tetras (3 bleeding hearts and 3 silver tips...wasn't intentional), 3 Yo-Yo loaches and 2 Otto's.

10 Gallon Euro with gravel, 2 Molly's, and 2 Mickey Mouse something or others and an Otto. (24 hours after putting the (2) molly's in the tank, we had 22 baby molly's...that quickly got taken to the fish store.)

I'm very tempted to start the 10 gallon over again with sand instead of the gravel.

oh thanks for the very helpful information. I really am convinced that sand is harder to maintain because of the fact that sand can get into filter but that only happens if something keeps kicking up the sand. but after hearing all the pros and cons of it I'm convinced sand is better.
what kind of sand do you have by the way?

Keep in mind MTS will burrow into the substrate during the day and only come out at night. Some folks may already have MTS and not know about it.

oh okay. why do they come out at night only?
do you know? I'm just curious haha

Paulcm10 said:

I've seen one of mine out quite alot during the day. I haven't seen the others really, and I have al least 5 or 6.

I've seen one of mine out quite alot during the day. I haven't seen the others really, and I have al least 5 or 6.

the guy who's selling them told me to get like 30 something for a 20g tank...
I'm like what? that many? haha
idk i might get 20 but I'm not sure how many snails people recommend for a 20g tank

I don't think they are classified as nocturnal but they pretty much are. I never saw any unless I looked on my way to work in the morning when the lights are off.

I don't think they are classified as nocturnal but they pretty much are. I never saw any unless I looked on my way to work in the morning when the lights are off.

oh okay. i was just asking the other guy about mts and i was wondering how many do i put for my 20g tank? and do they have any bioload at all?

I wouldn't count them when factoring in if you are overstocked. I probably had 200+ in my 30g long tank (36x12 footprint) when it was planted heavily.

Back
Top Bottom