sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
I wouldn't count them when factoring in if you are overstocked. I probably had 200+ in my 30g long tank (36x12 footprint) when it was planted heavily.

oh yah u told me they don't have bioload sorry i forgot.
and what did you do to your snails? i want some! haha

Paulcm10 said:
oh thanks for the very helpful information. I really am convinced that sand is harder to maintain because of the fact that sand can get into filter but that only happens if something keeps kicking up the sand. but after hearing all the pros and cons of it I'm convinced sand is better.
what kind of sand do you have by the way?

Don't remember the name. It's black, and I got it at PS. Its not the store brand either. Not sure exactly what it is, but a lot of it did float for awhile when we first set the tank up. No issues since though. No residue, no clouds, no sheen on the water surface. And my filter siphon is only about an inch off the bottom. Haven't found any sand in the filter at all (aquaclear 110).

Don't remember the name. It's black, and I got it at PS. Its not the store brand either. Not sure exactly what it is, but a lot of it did float for awhile when we first set the tank up. No issues since though. No residue, no clouds, no sheen on the water surface. And my filter siphon is only about an inch off the bottom. Haven't found any sand in the filter at all (aquaclear 110).

oh okay. are the grains large or small?

oh okay. are the grains large or small?
The grains are VERY small. I found it though...it's called Super Naturals CaribSea Aquarium Sand. There's two kinds under that name. Be careful that you DON'T get the one for Cichlids.

I'll see if I can get a decent picture of my tank with a close up of the sand and post it tonight or tomorrow for you.

That is what I have too, always have complements on how it looks. White/natural in my original tank, two years+, already posted my observations earlier. This one was from Petsmart. The lighter one, black Petco sand didn't have almost any dust, least rinsing of the two.

I am going to check more on Garnet sand, am waiting for other feedback, on another thread for that. I found it at my local farm supply, 80 grit size, 50 lbs for $49.95. I was hoping to get a little larger grain so I want to check a few more stores, locally.

Did you make a decision yet? I just saw one of my mts on my lemon Bacopa so I snapped a quick picture for ya!

decided if i will go sand or gravel?
yes i am actually planning on picking it up in about 30 minutes.
i am thinking of getting a pool filter sand. but question is would that still bring out the color of my red cherry shrimps?
oh and awesome! how many mts do u have?

The grains are VERY small. I found it though...it's called Super Naturals CaribSea Aquarium Sand. There's two kinds under that name. Be careful that you DON'T get the one for Cichlids.

I'll see if I can get a decent picture of my tank with a close up of the sand and post it tonight or tomorrow for you.

oh and even though its small grain the sand still doesn't get sucked up by the filter?

That is what I have too, always have complements on how it looks. White/natural in my original tank, two years+, already posted my observations earlier. This one was from Petsmart. The lighter one, black Petco sand didn't have almost any dust, least rinsing of the two.

I am going to check more on Garnet sand, am waiting for other feedback, on another thread for that. I found it at my local farm supply, 80 grit size, 50 lbs for $49.95. I was hoping to get a little larger grain so I want to check a few more stores, locally.

yah im leaning towards pool filter sand. haha

Just curious as to what you decided to do....

I picked up some quickcrete (pfs) this morning, washed it, and placed it in the tank. It is horribly dusty and the water is STILL cloudy.

Just curious as to what you decided to do....

I picked up some quickcrete (pfs) this morning, washed it, and placed it in the tank. It is horribly dusty and the water is STILL cloudy.

I decided to go with PFS. i got the seagull brand. currently it looks small grains to me...
quickcrete? is that the brand of your pfs?
is it large grain?

It is the brand of pfs that I purchased. Pretty small and light grains compared to the blasting sand I have in all my other tanks

this is my first time using pfs.... the blasting sand has heavier grains but didn't even compact when washing.

what do you mean it didn't compact when washing?
and where did you get your sand blasting sand?

The pfs that I purchased while I was washing it it was as if it had been packed down into the the bucket. it was very hard to wash.

I purchased my blasting sand from a tractor supply company that sells assorted hardware and equipment.

The pfs that I purchased while I was washing it it was as if it had been packed down into the the bucket. it was very hard to wash.

I purchased my blasting sand from a tractor supply company that sells assorted hardware and equipment.

oh see i have the seagull pfs and to me it seems like it has bigger grains. i might open the bag real quick just to see

I did a 30% PWC the day after I added pfs and it helped my water clear up alot quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh and even though its small grain the sand still doesn't get sucked up by the filter?

None. The grains are small, but heavy. Even after vacuuming, the sand that does get sucked into the bucket, I rinse, and dump right back into that tank. It settles immediately. The Gouramis and the Yo-Yo's are grazers. The loaches especially move the sand and gravel around a lot. I have no issues at all with the sand becoming buoyant enough to be an issue with the filter.

Back
Top Bottom