sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
None. The grains are small, but heavy. Even after vacuuming, the sand that does get sucked into the bucket, I rinse, and dump right back into that tank. It settles immediately. The Gouramis and the Yo-Yo's are grazers. The loaches especially move the sand and gravel around a lot. I have no issues at all with the sand becoming buoyant enough to be an issue with the filter.

so its possible to vacuum the grains? or your gouramis and yo-yos kicks it up?

Paulcm10 said:
is it bc the sand has chemicals in it?

I imagine it was cloudy because of very fine particulates that didn't get washed out when I rinsed the sand. There aren't any chemicals in pfs that I am aware of.

I imagine it was cloudy because of very fine particulates that didn't get washed out when I rinsed the sand. There aren't any chemicals in pfs that I am aware of.

oh okay. well i guess ill give my pfs a shot. what brand pfs do you have?

Paulcm10 said:
oh okay. well i guess ill give my pfs a shot. what brand pfs do you have?

I don't know the brand is. Just whatever the pool store had. I don't remember what the bag said on it.

Heres a picture I took earlier today.

it looks a lot like mine. like the color of it.
check it out. i took a pic just now.
i wasn't sure if i should put it in my tank though... =/. i wanted a lighter color..

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 49
That does look alot like mine. You can always shop around and try to find a different color if you don't think you'll like it. I like mine alot.

That does look alot like mine. You can always shop around and try to find a different color if you don't think you'll like it. I like mine alot.

my uncle has a pool so ill ask him tomorrow if he wants a pool filter sand for a small price and then ill go grab the same brand. i didn't know that they come in different colors but the color is a surprise. =p

i want at least white or beige haha

I prefer the playsand for bottom dwellers. The PFS was not sharp but it was larger grain and it makes digging through the substrate harder, IMO.

I find with playsand my geos can sift through the sand easily and pass the sand out their gills. With PFS I don't think that they would be sifting through the sand. The grains are too large to pass through their gills.

Another note, I've never had a diatoms bloom when using playsand. I had a terrible bloom when using the PFS that lasted for months.

Back
Top Bottom