Started cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I began my cycle just a few minutes ago. I tested my water before I treated it with Prime. The water was at,
PH: 8.4 - 8.8
Amm: 0

(My PH is really high for some reason. I wonder if the drip acclimation would be okay for the fish to get used to or I'll have to find some way to lower it.)

I tested it after I Primed it and here's what I got. My tank is 100G and I put 80 ML to get 4.0ppm. PH was the same.

I also have half a bottle of nutrafin but I don't want to use it if it will mess with my cycle.

I think it came down to around 8.4. No clue why its so high. Will most fish (Except Discus) acclimate to it if I use the drip method?

The water isn't mature at all either and I have some more driftwood coming. I'm sure the PH will drop.

I'm not to sure someone with a bit more experience is going to need to answer that question sorry

Oh yeah there are certain types of drift wood that helps bring the ph down a little and I think Indian almond leaves do to but I'm not positive on that and you might not want to just rely on those

Oh yeah there are certain types of drift wood that helps bring the ph down a little and I think Indian almond leaves do to but I'm not positive on that and you might not want to just rely on those

It's the only way I can think of without using those pesty chemicals that could make the water even worse.

Yah don't do chemicals because they only work for a short time

Yah don't do chemicals because they only work for a short time

Exactly! If I can get it into the high 7s, I should be okay. Hell, I could be fine now! I think most domestic breed fish can adjust to my PH as long as it doesn't fluctuate.

Yah if you get it down to the high sevens you should be perfectly fine...but like you said you have to keep it stable

Yah if you get it down to the high sevens you should be perfectly fine...but like you said you have to keep it stable

This is only the first day the water has been in the tank so I'll give it a few days before I decide what to do. Plus I'm getting a good size stump of driftwood to put in the tank.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea...and you are planning on doing live plants rite

Ohh those are interesting looking peices of drift wood do you plan on just letting that one float for a different look

Ohh those are interesting looking peices of drift wood do you plan on just letting that one float for a different look

Here's the plan. That open place of sand to the right, is going to have a nice stump in it. If you look in the second picture, there's kind of like a pool of water behind the floating driftwood there. I'm going to plant some floating plants there and hopefully that driftwood will kind of contain it. There will plants all around the driftwood down at the bottom too.

The big heater will be gone too. Replace by two smaller ones and I'm going to move my intake valve over some.

Ohh ok yeah that will look great and what plants are you planning exactly and the floating log does it stay there with out moving at all and for a floating plant try to do something on the bigger side unlike duckweed

Ohh ok yeah that will look great and what plants are you planning exactly and the floating log does it stay there with out moving at all and for a floating plant try to do something on the bigger side unlike duckweed

Defiantly not doing duckweed! The current, which I can control how strong it is on my fluval, keeps the log lodged in there. I don't think this particular piece will sink. I want some kind of Lilly pad to put behind it. I'm not exactly sure what all kind of plants I want.

Back
Top Bottom