Started cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think you should do some anubias nana and or some java fern either lace or regular and you could do some cambomba and I have heard torta Val is good and spreads pretty quick

Well I think you should do some anubias nana and or some java fern either lace or regular and you could do some cambomba and I have heard torta Val is good and spreads pretty quick

Is there a type of Lilly?

Umm not that I know of...buuuut you could try those bulbs that they sell in those little packages

So, I just checked my PH. First 24 hours of cycle will be done in about an hour in a half.

PH: 8.0 - 8.4 (It's dropping)
Amm: 4.0 (Looks like its trying to come down some)

Nitrites: .25 (I believe. It doesn't look blue but a mix of blue and light purple)

I'm using API Master Freshwater kit.

Don't worry about your Ph. We already talked about Kh and Gh so just do your cycling but also be aware it is not uncommon as cycling proceeds you can have some serious ph swings with ph dropping too much. Just continue to watch the Ph but don't worry about it unless it takes a big drop. Most all fish can acclimate to a tanks ph. Products only cause more problems than they ever fix IMO. As long as your ph is stable that is all that is important.

Just so you have this information, if ph drops to 6.5 your BB/cycling slowly down. If ph drops to 6 or below BB/cycling stops.

Don't worry about your Ph. We already talked about Kh and Gh so just do your cycling but also be aware it is not uncommon as cycling proceeds you can have some serious ph swings with ph dropping too much. Just continue to watch the Ph but don't worry about it unless it takes a big drop. Most all fish can acclimate to a tanks ph. Products only cause more problems than they ever fix IMO. As long as your ph is stable that is all that is important.

Just so you have this information, if ph drops to 6.5 your BB/cycling slowly down. If ph drops to 6 or below BB/cycling stops.

I was reading that earlier. I have those Kh and Gh test kits coming in this week. I put some plants that I had bought of the shelf from Wal-Mart a few weeks ago in the tank. I think they dropped the PH some. I'm hoping the nitrites spike soon. But I read it could be the 3rd day, 7th, or 11th. IMO every cycle is different. I do want to plant it early from the get go though so they will cycle with the tank and maybe help balance my PH. As far as PWC. What would I do about the differences in PH in the tank from my tap? As long as my tanks water is way more in quantity than it, would the tap water combine with it? I know to Prime it before I put it in the tank.

Different ph from tap to tank isn't important. It balances itself out quite quickly, it also adds fresh buffers if you have hard water which I'm sure yours is. Unless you breeding fish, especially delicate ones, it's not something to worry about IMO.

Different ph from tap to tank isn't important. It balances itself out quite quickly, it also adds fresh buffers if you have hard water which I'm sure yours is. Unless you breeding fish, especially delicate ones, it's not something to worry about IMO.

Makes plenty of sense.

Day 2 of cycle:

PH: 8.0 - 8.2
Amm: 4.0 ppm
Nitrite: .50 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Nitrites seem to be making a small climb. I'm curious because the cycle has just started and I'm already getting a climb of nitrites. Also, the ammonia doesn't seem to be falling much, but actually could be. I think I dosed it between 4.0 and 5.0. I have a hard time telling the color chart apart so I got my step mom to help me! Haha! This is just me throwing this out there. There are two bugs stuck in the head of my intake so I left them because I thought it would just help the BB. Temperature is still mid 80s, good aeration of water, and I try to leave the lights on around 8 - 12 hours. Hopefully I will be buying some plants this week! So far, seems real good! I'm keeping a written log too.

i have been surprised how fast my cycle has gone.

i did use api quick start, but only at first cuz i thought it couldnt hurt. well i dont know if its working or not but it has been about a week since I started and I already have fairly high nitrates. just waiting for nitrites to drop more...

I converted 4ppm ammo to .25ppm in less than 12 hours yesterday...crazy! i thought it would take wayyyy longer to build up the bb.

oh and I did buy a lava rock with anubias nana from petsmart from a tank, so maybe that had some good bacteria on it.

Honestly you really only need to be running lights 6 hours or your probably going to have algae starting which you don't want. Honestly if nothing is in the tank you don't need to run them at all.

Honestly you really only need to be running lights 6 hours or your probably going to have algae starting which you don't want. Honestly if nothing is in the tank you don't need to run them at all.

+1 to rivercats

that is what i have read. I have mine on for 7hrs a day but I have plants and its a crappy light.

Day 3:

PH: 8.2
Amm: 2.5 - 3 (dropping)
Nitrite: 1 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Okay, I have to say that I'm astonished at these results because it seems my cycle is moving extremely fast. I got my step mom, who defiantly has the best eye sight and is the most intelligent in the house to double check my results. Is it normal for a cycle to move this fast? It seems to be getting along quite well.

Random question: My new light fixture just came in. The moonlight LEDs seem pretty bright! Will the fish actually sleep with them on?

I have my moon lights on a time to run until 11pm and then they shut off for the night but I have one tank that they run all night as we use it as our kitchen night light and it has never bothered the fish.

Day 4:

PH: 8.2
Amm: 2.0 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 - 2.0 ( I believe 1.5 )
Nitrates: 10 - 20 ppm ( I believe 15)

The colors are close together so it can be hard to tell. I really have no idea what has made my cycle jump the gun but thank the good Lord for it! My two smaller heaters arrived today and so I set them for 86 degrees, let them soak, and turned them on. One heater kicked off early and the other just kicked off. It says the tanks water is only 83 degrees though. No idea what's happened there! As far as the cycle though, when do I need to do a water change? When should I boost the ammonia back up? Can I introduce plants soon? Finally, I'm just curious, what do you think kicked my cycle off so fast?

Day 5:

PH: 7.8
Amm: 2.0
Nitrites: 2.0 ppm
Nitrates: 10

Nothing really seemed to change but the PH. Should I dose the ammonia back up to 4ppm when it hits 1ppm? I hope the cycle isn't stalling, but I doubt it is. I had a temp drop from 86 to 84. Maybe that affected it. I have the lights off now too.

Yes, dose it back to 4. That temp isn't going to make a difference and unless your ph falls below 6.5 your cycle will continue. It seems to be going fast so don't worry. Cycling can take weeks.

Back
Top Bottom