Started cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dose it back to four now or when it hits one? By the way Rivercats, I bought some plants! :)

Day 6:

PH: 7.8
Amm: 1.0ppm
Nitrites: 5.0 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm

Dosing my ammonia back up now. Gotta feed them hungry BB!

1 week:

PH: 8.3
Amm: 4.0ppm
Nitrites: 5.0ppm
Nitrates: 40 ppm

I dosed the ammonia back up and the pH seemed to rise some. Live plants will come in this week and I'm looking at getting a 210 saltwater reef tank!

I would strongly suggest waiting on a reef tank. I did them for years and they cost a lot of money to set up and run and you can't skimp on lighting (which is very expensive for a tank that size (I have one) and all the equipment. Plus factor in salt and possibly needing RO water, a lot of different test kits, and the livestock is not cheap either. You would do best to concentrate on this planted tank for awhile and not overwhelm yourself trying to run two different types of large tanks.

I would strongly suggest waiting on a reef tank. I did them for years and they cost a lot of money to set up and run and you can't skimp on lighting (which is very expensive for a tank that size (I have one) and all the equipment. Plus factor in salt and possibly needing RO water, a lot of different test kits, and the livestock is not cheap either. You would do best to concentrate on this planted tank for awhile and not overwhelm yourself trying to run two different types of large tanks.

Yeah, I spoke with the owner of the Pet shop thoroughly. The reason why I'm trying to go ahead and get the tank is because its $1,100 and the stand comes free. It's a nice canopy stand too. My freshwater tank is almost completely set up except for livestock. Plants come in this week. I just didn't want to miss out on the deal he has! On top of that, the store owner is super generous. He does layaway and he talked to me about the lighting and gave me different options so he could cut the price down for me. I just do t want to miss out on the deal because I can piece the tank together slowly.

Day 8:

Amm: 2.0
Nitrites: 5.0 (As high as they go on chart)
Nitrates: 40 ppm

Should I let everything go until its converted to nitrates? I couldn't really figure out the Gh and Kh tests. Is it okay to go ahead and place my root tabs in since my plants will be in by Wednesday?

Honestly I'd do a WC to bring down the nitrates again then redose ammonia.

The tests are easy. Fill water to the line, add 1 drop and shake and continue to add 1 drop at a time and shake until the solution changes color. It tells you on the instructions what is the starting color to what it changes to. Be sure to COUNT YOUR DROPS as this gives you the KH or GH reading. So if you added 4 drops and the color changed then your KH or GH would be 4.

And yes, add the root tabs once you plant your swords, crypts, or bulb plants.

Honestly I'd do a WC to bring down the nitrates again then redose ammonia.

The tests are easy. Fill water to the line, add 1 drop and shake and continue to add 1 drop at a time and shake until the solution changes color. It tells you on the instructions what is the starting color to what it changes to. Be sure to COUNT YOUR DROPS as this gives you the KH or GH reading. So if you added 4 drops and the color changed then your KH or GH would be 4.

And yes, add the root tabs once you plant your swords, crypts, or bulb plants.

I'm not questioning I'm just curious. Why do a WC now? Does it help the cycle?

I'm not questioning I'm just curious. Why do a WC now? Does it help the cycle?

Its because you need to reduce the nitrites and nitrates to readable levels...my nitrites got so high it was messin up my tests and i didnt realize it til someone here helped me.

It's better to keep the nitrates somewhat down so you don't have to do several WC's down the road to try to lower extremely high nitrates.

I did close to a 50 percent water change.

Amm: 1.0 ppm
Nitrites: 1.0 ppm
Nitrates: between 0 and 5.0 ppm

So, I did about a 90 percent water change because it seemed like everything was actually high. I have high PH again but very little ammonia. I'm about to dose it back up now. Everything else is at zero. I have fish flakes now. Do I need to add some?

Ummmm? Have you tested your tap water for Ammo and nitrites. This is just my opinon of course but stop with water changes your Ammo going to 0 after 24 hours is your only concern right now and a week in should be no problem doing that. You earlyier stated they were down to .25 but now seems theyre not going below 1. Afyer the ammo goes to 0 in 24 hrs than wory about nitrites the nitrates work themselves out naturaly so to speak later. pH rising during the cycle will happen and should happen dont worry about that either as long as it doesnt drop. Ammo 0 24 hrs is your only goal at this point its a fishless cycle gotta let it run its course and be patient cant keep messing with it.

Just a suggestion. If you dosed your Ammo up to 4ppm last night tonight when you'd be testing it don't test it don't do anything let it be wait til tomorrow night to test and redose the Ammo as needed to get to 4ppm ie 1ppm tested add 3ppm to get your 4ppm. Just to help establish where your cycle is currently at.

Back
Top Bottom