Starting a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephmc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am going to be starting a 55 gallon in a few weeks and was thinking about getting some angelfish. I was going to put 2 pairs in the tank along with probably 2 loaches (1 yoyo and I don't know what other kind I will get) and was wonder what other and how may other fish I could put in the tank. Any suggestions?

I have six angels in a 55 gallon with a pair of clown loaches, a pair of dwarf gouramis, 3 neons, a common pleco, 3 raspboras, a pair of pearl gouramis and 4 guppies. That is a lot of fish in the 55 gallon, but 4 of the angelfish are juvenilles I am planning on moving them to another tank as they grow. Of course I need to buy another tank!! I would follow the "1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of tank" rule. I try to roughly follow that and leave about 6-10 inches free, just to keep the tank cleaner. In other words I have about 49 inches of fish in my 55 gallon tank. I have had good luck with angels and most community fish, just make sure there aren't any major differences in size - big angels other tiny fish or tiny angels and other big fish - and you should be fine. Also, make sure you stay away from any "semi-agressive" community fish, like some barbs, as they can be fin nippers. Good luck and keep us posted!

wow, that is a lot if fish. I was considering some gouramis. How big do angelfish get...6 inches? I think that is what I read.

Yes, they can get to be 6 inches long, but they looks much bigger than other 6 inch fish, because of the tall body shape. And you're right, that is a lot of fish! My young angels are about 2.5 inches each, I plan to move then when they hit about 4 inches.

I am not sure. I have had these juvenilles for about 6 months... I would guess a year or so?

Thanks, Schala, for mentioning that Angels would gulp them down if they're large enough - I was starting to get worried that no one had until I saw your post. I have a 55 gallon tank, and was mildly considering getting Angels, when I decided against it because they're so finicky about water pH and the likes. I was also considering neon tetras, but went against it because, not only are they susceptible to neon tetra disease and require acidic water to thrive, but they would get eaten. I don't know if gouramis would pick on Angels . . . perhaps other fish, like scissor-tailed rasboras or glass catfish, would do well. Both of them tend to stick with their species and no one else and are unagressive (I have both).

Back
Top Bottom