Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish health concerns-- HELP

I'm going to begin by saying that I only started maintaining an aquarium a little under a year ago(last December), so I am not as experienced as some of you.
I have a 23 gallon tank with four tetras, two dojo loaches, three albino corydoras catfish, one aquatic frog, and One ghost shrimp. I had a plecostamous (I have no clue how it's supposed to be spelled), a zodiac loach, and an upside down catfish, who all three died in the last few days. Something is wrong with my tank and I need to figure it out quickly before I lose my dojo loaches, I love those things more than one should probably love fish.
Yesterday both dojos seemed mostly fine, and today I am seeing small white spots all over my dojos and I need to know if this is definitely ich or not, and what I should do to treat him and the rest of the tank. I will include photos of all the fish in their current state. Any advice would be helpful. I have read that raising the temperature will get rid of ich naturally, but first I want to make sure that is what I am dealing with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7714.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	303799

Name:	IMG_7721.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	303800Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7718.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	303801Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	303802
Excuse the food everywhere, they were JUST fed.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	303803
This is the better version of the photo above

Old 09-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So can you tell us more about your tank? How often do you do water changes? The water looks incredibly cloudy? What kind of filter do you have? Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrates and Nitrites? Have you introduce any nee fish recently? What kind of food are you feeding, I see flakes.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
So can you tell us more about your tank? How often do you do water changes? The water looks incredibly cloudy? What kind of filter do you have? Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrates and Nitrites? Have you introduce any nee fish recently? What kind of food are you feeding, I see flakes.

I am feeding them fluval color enhancing flakes and algae wafers, I do about 25% water changes every ~2weeks, the water began to get cloudy yesterday after a 25% water change, I have a 50gal aquaclear filter with activated carbon, ammonia remover and foam inserts, the last new fish I introduced was about three weeks ago and it was the upside down catfish which I lost yesterday, and I do not test the water.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am feeding them fluval color enhancing flakes and algae wafers, I do about 25% water changes every ~2weeks, the water began to get cloudy yesterday after a 25% water change, I have a 50gal aquaclear filter with activated carbon, ammonia remover and foam inserts, the last new fish I introduced was about three weeks ago and it was the upside down catfish which I lost yesterday, and I do not test the water.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd do at least 30% water changes every week, and you'll want to vacumn the gravel each time. You'll want to get a test kit as well. It will help you see any possible water issues as well. Make sure to not clean or replace the filter media as well, at most you want to gently rinse it in the old tank water when you change the water. What temp is the water at now?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The water is currently at 73 degrees F.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I will do another water change tonight and vacuum the gravel, here is another picture of the dots on the loach.

Name:	IMG_7733.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	303804
Old 09-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That infection looks like Oodinium. Research that illness. Encountered it some years ago. Treated it much like Ick. Raise temp. To 86 degrees, and frequent partial WC's. The kicker is that you cover the tank with a blanket, blacking out the light. This bug needs light to survive.
You can also treat with salt, one tablespoon per gallon. I'm no expert on meds but if you go that route I believe copper based meds are used.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
That infection looks like Oodinium. Research that illness. Encountered it some years ago. Treated it much like Ick. Raise temp. To 86 degrees, and frequent partial WC's. The kicker is that you cover the tank with a blanket, blacking out the light. This bug needs light to survive.
You can also treat with salt, one tablespoon per gallon. I'm no expert on meds but if you go that route I believe copper based meds are used.
If it iss this, take the shrimp out before using copper, and not sure how the dojos and cories would do with salt, as they are scaleless. Maybe try heat, blackout and water changes alone would work?

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com