Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

We all start out as noobs at some point but anyway it the show not the people involved look at the interview posted above it's not their choice it's animal planet

Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i know we're all noobs in the beginning, but i did a bunch of research probably starting a year before i started the hobby, an of course i still made rookie mistakes. even after a year of research and studying, and started out small, 29 gallon, two damsels, two astrea snails, and 2 red legged hermits. acceptable, but the show is gonna attract the tank dabblers who dont wanna read and understand equipment, the livestock, the whole hobby to say the least. well enough said, i jus think they went about the show all wrong

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

But that would be a whole different show this is not about the education side it's about amazing tanks I still say it's up to the individual to do there research

And it will still attract people who will stick with the hobby

Any how I love the show and enjoy the cast just remember it's an entertainment show not educational
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

good point, good point. i suppose if the right ppl wanted in the hobby they would choose to do research. but i think they should put at least a LITTLE education in thurr, instead of hey brand new tank, dump 30 fish in it, and itll work.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekody
good point, good point. i suppose if the right ppl wanted in the hobby they would choose to do research. but i think they should put at least a LITTLE education in thurr, instead of hey brand new tank, dump 30 fish in it, and itll work.
I can agree with that and so does Brett he doesn't like how the show is edited either
Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #196
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekody View Post
There are still educational components, they just aren't as plentiful as some people would like them to be. But, they did talk about quarantine, acclimation, pH, proper tankmates, reef-friendly fish, stocking to avoid aggression, and mentioned sustainably collected fish.
I agree that more things could be discussed, but I have been surprised at how much info was presented in a show that was advertised to be about BUILDING tanks, not maintaining tanks.
The Brett interview is really great. He also thinks the show should have more of an educational aspect.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I really like the show. For sure there's something happening behind the scenes that they don't show. Otherwise, all of their clients will be unhappy because their fish are dying.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

Several posts back, there is an interview with Brett. He agrees with everything that's been said about the show, but they have NO creative control over what Animal Planet puts on the air. So what he's trying to do is to just get people excited about the hobby again, young and old alike. That requires more glitz than substance.
There are always going to be people that don't do any research before they start the hobby. Just like there are always going to be uneducated FS employees spreading dangerous advice. And both those types of people will be forever finding each other. "Tanked" can't change that, no matter what their format is in regard to information/education.
All we can do is our best to help each other make wise & safe choices for our fish. Here on AA and other fish forums.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again well Wendi, you have a way with words no dout bout that!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice Activist

I definitely agree with Wendi too! And I thought it was really cool how Brett talked about how the 2nd season would be more informative and educational, explaining more about how they cycle tanks and everything.

I also thought it was interesting how he said he knows what hobbyists have been saying bout the show but their legally not allowed to respond on these forums and such.. It has to be so frustrating knowing that people have been getting the wrong idea about how they are setting up tanks and not being able to defend themselves and their reputation. But I guess the fact is that it's impossible to please everyone!

I can't remember who posted the video but thank you for sharing that!! I know for me it answered a lot a question marks.

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com