new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's crazy about the phone both tank! I would like to see how much they charge for the big tanks, probably an insane amount!

Flipmikeskater3 said:
That's crazy about the phone both tank! I would like to see how much they charge for the big tanks, probably an insane amount!

I have contacted them for tanks- the prices are outrageous.

Yeah the fish must get stressed out. It doesn't help when they are at the warehouse and hold the fish out of water with their hands to show and talk about the fish. It would be cool to go through the warehouse with a shopping cart like they do though :)

There is an excellent article about Season 2 of Tanked in the May 2012 issue of Tropical Fish Magazine. In this article, they talk about their quarantine process, including how they utilize local stores to help with their quarantine process while they are building the tanks, caring for the fish, etc. Apparently, they got loads of hate mail because they weren't even mentioning what all of us would refer to as the critical parts of successful fishkeeping. Very worthwhile magazine and article. Highly recommend you guys read it.

LyndaB said:
There is an excellent article about Season 2 of Tanked in the May 2012 issue of Tropical Fish Magazine. In this article, they talk about their quarantine process, including how they utilize local stores to help with their quarantine process while they are building the tanks, caring for the fish, etc. Apparently, they got loads of hate mail because they weren't even mentioning what all of us would refer to as the critical parts of successful fishkeeping. Very worthwhile magazine and article. Highly recommend you guys read it.

Just read the article online, very interesting

Comes on in less than in hour, where I'm from. some of you might be watching it already ;)

I cleaned and did PWC on my tanks while I watched Tanked.

Thought it was appropriate.....

Pretty good episode. Glad they did a freshwater tank but the fish looked like roaches with the fake food in the refridgerator tank. Still nice malawi cichlids. Also noticed they mentioned they use cycled water and properly aclimating fish. Tell me those sharks weren't stressed though..

I felt like those cichlids had no horizontal swimming room... It was 140 gallons but with all those shelves in there it looked like they were just stuck. Did anyone else notice this? They've done freshwater twice and it's always cichlids... I wonder who cleans these big tanks too?

My guess with cycling is that they use established media... Instant cycle?

okapizebra said:
I felt like those cichlids had no horizontal swimming room... It was 140 gallons but with all those shelves in there it looked like they were just stuck. Did anyone else notice this? They've done freshwater twice and it's always cichlids... I wonder who cleans these big tanks too?

My guess with cycling is that they use established media... Instant cycle?

They said it was established water. Not a cycled tank. Basically they took water from another tank that was cycled. They mentioned in there article that they had their own formulas to cycle quicker. That's believable because there is a company that's two cities over from me that has created this (chemist lab) and it cycles a tank in a week. You literally see the diatoms (SW) after 4 or 5 days and you can see a new batch of ammonia at 4.0 convert to trates in 24 hours. However, I would still like to see the tank itself cycled.

I did notice however that with the shark tank that they said they went back a few weeks later to add the sharks. No mention of cycling there. Just that they added natural sea water. Still again, the substrate wasn't mentioned if it was bagged, etc. and the beneficial bacteria wouldn't be enough to support all those fish. Sharks need PERFECT reef water conditions.

Well the Guy who they got the sharks from, whom they built a tank for 3 yes prior, obviously knew what he was doing if he was able to keep them alive for that long. That or someone he hired knew what they were doing lol

Have never watched "Tanked" myself simply I refuse to pay for dish or cable since I rarely get the TV remote LOL But I got a cute phone call in regards to it - my aunt who knows I have a collection of fish was all excited about the tank of africans and all the colors LOL she was telling telling uncle that "Hey our girl keeps some of those". Had told her in the past about having colorful fish in tanks and they weren't SW, its been a while since she's came for a visit - anyways guess I'm going to have to watch some episodes online LOL

There's a ton of editing in all reality shows, there's no telling what exactly went down. There are two things in these shows that are very deceiving, a 'timeline' and 'storyline'. It's just something that they put into these shows to keep them interesting and entertaining.

So I travel to LA every week for work, and I just realized that Exotic Reef Imports, where the guys usually get their fish, is like 5 minutes from the client site. So I'm going to try to leave early one day and check it out! They close at 5PM which sucks, so I'd have to leave real early :)

cerulean_blue said:
So I travel to LA every week for work, and I just realized that Exotic Reef Imports, where the guys usually get their fish, is like 5 minutes from the client site. So I'm going to try to leave early one day and check it out! They close at 5PM which sucks, so I'd have to leave real early :)

If you go, PLEASEEEE take pictures and post them!

Back
Top Bottom