Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

People come in to where I work. I've got some bad stories. One women was trying to buy a ful grown queen angel for her... Wait for it... 16 Nuvo. I only have a tomato clown in there she says. I'm not trying to make sales if the conditions for the animal aren't optimal. Sometimes I just give people info and they ignore it. Oh well. At least I try

Old 09-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
Maybe this is just because iv had a bad day but I have had enough of people not taking me serious with this hobby I just spent a few hours trying to keep a foxface alive but he sadly died but everyone was like just kill it it's only a fish or laughing at me for trying to help it yeah maybe it died in the end but at least I tried just so annoyed at them
I am so sorry for your loss. It is not just a fish. It is a living sentient creature that deserves as much care as a dog or cat.

Don't listen to them... you're doing what is right and I commend you for that Keep it up!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Haha my gf just made fun of me for saying I've buried some of my fish that have died...
I'm sorry. I will bury my fishes when they pass on, but I don't want to think about that right now!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
My girlfriend lives the fish but laughs when they die her mum and brothers thought it was funny how he was stuck in the power head and her brother was happy it died I was pretty annoyed at him he has been so disrespectful lately I got his ps3 at the moment cos he was naughty haha
That's terrible :'( I don't understand how people can find it funny when someone or an animal is in trouble and dies after. I mean.... UGHHH.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When you know your audience , just consider the source !
How wonderful the world would be if everyone had a heart like yours .
Stay who you are and be true to yourself . Your a good person for caring for your fish .
Thank you for that .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. It is not just a fish. It is a living sentient creature that deserves as much care as a dog or cat.

Don't listen to them... you're doing what is right and I commend you for that Keep it up!

Ok, I don't want to be "that guy," but...

I appreciate where you are going with this but be careful waving the "fish are sentient" flag around. I really think that's taking it a step too far.

But I won't start a debate on it. In some aspects, IMO, they are but for the most part I really don't think they can perceive much of anything besides instincts.
Fishperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sick of people

Ok, since it seems we've thrown the whole kitchen sink in here I'll chip in my two cents.
Ok, enough idioms.

But really, here I go:

To me, while I would never mistreat my fish or neglect them, I do not treat them as a pet. They may seem to act like they are "begging for food," or "following your finger," but I really just think it is them acting on instinct.

But I'm not an animal psychologist, so I very well might be wrong. In fact, that's the thing about arguments. We could be 976,564.3% sure we are right one minute and then be presented with one fact and realize how undeniably wrong we were the next. Just remember that folks. So anyway, I don't claim to be correct at all, this is just what I think.

I personally treat my tank as "living art." I create it, I change it, etc. I don't name my fish I don't play with them or pretend that they have any intimate knowledge of their surroundings. They are not pets (to ME!!! Maybe to you they are but that's your opinion and this is mine so I don't CARE), they are an element of a piece of artwork, a figure in the foreground of a painting, and not much more.

*weatherman voice*

"Folks today is looking to be cloudy with a 70% chance of hate comments and some scattered rage storms..."
Old 09-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishperson:
I get and understand what you're saying.

I also get really attached to animals, so. . But for me they actually are my pets. I was going to get a hamster but ended up with a betta fish and now have 7 Pygmy Cory cats too. Lol. My betta has a name and if I could tell them apart I would maybe name the catfish too. Not everyone wants to name their fish and that's fine. Many people don't. I think Bettas tend to get named more than other fish, but that may be just my opinion.

I think he is following fingers especially since he doesn't always do it. I don't know if we'll ever really know. Fish are a hard creature to really understand in some ways.

Let it suffice to say, they are living creatures that deserve proper care and (also love in my opinion) and attention.

I understand not all people see their fish as pets and that's fine.

You're good to your fish and take good care of them and that's what matters . You appreciate them in one way and I another. That's perfectly okay
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sick of people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Fishperson:
I get and understand what you're saying.

I also get really attached to animals, so. . But for me they actually are my pets. I was going to get a hamster but ended up with a betta fish and now have 7 Pygmy Cory cats too. Lol. My betta has a name and if I could tell them apart I would maybe name the catfish too. Not everyone wants to name their fish and that's fine. Many people don't. I think Bettas tend to get named more than other fish, but that may be just my opinion.

I think he is following fingers especially since he doesn't always do it. I don't know if we'll ever really know. Fish are a hard creature to really understand in some ways.

Let it suffice to say, they are living creatures that deserve proper care and (also love in my opinion) and attention.

I understand not all people see their fish as pets and that's fine.

You're good to your fish and take good care of them and that's what matters . You appreciate them in one way and I another. That's perfectly okay

Yes I agree with all of this

I actually agree that they follow fingers, what I meant was that I think it's just because they see it as food or something. In fact the reason that they swim up and down the front glass (and why fish like Betta's flare at glass) is that they see themselves in the glass and think it is another fish.

That actually is pretty cute.

For me it is only because it is a community tank that I find trouble seeing them as pets. If I had a single betta I would find it much easier.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sick of people

Perhaps they see fingers as food. He does like to bite us when we put our fingers in the tank when we let him. Sometimes I let him bite me since I can't pet him lol. Usually I just have my fingers on the outside.

What's cute?

Ah. Makes sense. I can see that especially w a bigger tank but I'd probably still get attached to them :p

Anyway I think fish are super . I never realized how much I could like a fish until I had one.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com