Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #1291
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
Did a water change on mom 55 gallon. For some reason it gets a cloudy haze after a few days. Possible algae bloom of some sort, but don't know the source of this....
Mine gets cloudy right after for almost 24hrs. I think mines just micro bubbles

Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #1292
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cloudy Tank Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
Mine gets cloudy right after for almost 24hrs. I think mines just micro bubbles
Hello aaron..

Algae growth is nothing more than too much dissolved fish or plant food in the water and a reason for cloudy tank water. If you over feed, then primitive plants, like algae, will thrive. In nature plants and fish are fortunate to eat once a week. That's different than the daily buffet we provide at home.

I feed my fish and plants twice a week and just a little. My plants are healthy and my fish are always swimming around the the plants and at the bottom looking for a piece of food that's been overlooked. Good exercise.

Feed less and you'll have healthy fish, plants and a tank with stable water proprerties and no visible algae in the tank.

B

Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #1293
Aquarium Advice Addict

Added a Couple of Land Plants

Hello...

Added a couple of land plants to my 45 G. The tank is full and I have four different species of land plants that I can grow in nothing but water. The roots get very thick and almost white.

The roots take in the nitrogen the fish produce. The waste dissolves in the water and water movement provided by the HOBs move the water through the plant roots. The water stays pure with no more than a small water change of a couple of gallons per week to service the filtration equipment.

Haven't tested the tank water in weeks, but it's perfectly clear and my "Livebearers" are breeding constantly. An added benefit, is the land plants take in all the dissolved nutrients, so there's no visible algae in the tank.

B
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #1294
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello...

Added a couple of land plants to my 45 G. The tank is full and I have four different species of land plants that I can grow in nothing but water. The roots get very thick and almost white.

The roots take in the nitrogen the fish produce. The waste dissolves in the water and water movement provided by the HOBs move the water through the plant roots. The water stays pure with no more than a small water change of a couple of gallons per week to service the filtration equipment.

Haven't tested the tank water in weeks, but it's perfectly clear and my "Livebearers" are breeding constantly. An added benefit, is the land plants take in all the dissolved nutrients, so there's no visible algae in the tank.

B
What land plants do you hane in there? Also how do u put them in your tank? Do you just float them, put them in the substrate or ????????????
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #1295
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using Land Plants in Freshwater Tanks

Hello aaron...

I have Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron and Nephthytis. I make a large, retangular pocket of plastic netting attached to long bamboo sticks. The netting is secured by plastic twist ties. Simple to lay the frame across the top of the tank and emerse the plant root ball into the tank water. The leaves are held above the water by the netting. There's no substrate needed.

All the potting mixture must be rinsed off the roots before putting the roots into the tank water or the plant will die. The roots take in the nutrients from the fish waste and balance the water chemistry.

I keep the standard HOB filters to filter the tank water at night when the plants slow their filtration work. The filters keep the water moving through the plant roots, so there's a constant source of nourishment for the plants. The leaves grow with the long hours of low light and CO2 from the air circulating in the room.

The great thing about the plants, they require only ambient "room light". I have some pole lamps I leave on 12 hours a day and the plants are thriving. I may have some pics I can post if you're interested.

B
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1296
Aquarium Advice Freak

I fed the fish and turned on the lights.
Wroberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1297
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I did 3 30-40% water changes on my 180
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #1298
Aquarium Advice Freak

I spent two hours this am water changing the 29 & 150, testing, documenting, fertilizing, cleaning glass, cleaning small filter, and large canister-wrangling.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #1299
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
5 gallon water change on my BC29, just finished up, now gonna open an ice cold one.
What does BC stand for?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #1300
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarterFisherman

What does BC stand for?
Bio cube

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com