Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like someone may have to become a premium member; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Grrrr... You can't call me out like that. :D

I've been considering becoming a supporter but I figured I can help more by saving money to start a new build and give advice there. Ok thats not true i just prefer to repay this community in posts not dollars.

Grrrr... You can't call me out like that. :D

I've been considering becoming a supporter but I figured I can help more by saving money to start a new build and give advice there. Ok thats not true i just prefer to repay this community in posts not dollars.

Fair enough, I had the doe in my paypal from l snails I've sold on here so it seemed right.

I supported as a thanks to the site. Jeez most of us are on it enough!! Cough cough brookster lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I supported as a thanks to the site. Jeez most of us are on it enough!! Cough cough brookster lol

Yah.... nothing to sat to that..haha

Yah.... nothing to sat to that..haha

Yeah thats true. You came out of nowhere posting like crazy!

Speaking of which, this is my 2,500th post. :dance:

I'm waiting on the spot treatment of a bit of algae. 15ml 3% H2O2 for 20 minutes. I did the ar and ar mini, a bit of the rotala, the crypt undulatas, and a bit of the wall.

Hmmmm.

After looking at pictures, what do you think about Staurogyne sp. 'porto velho'? It's a relative of repens, has more elongated leaves, and tends to be more horizontally inclined. Google through some picture, but be careful as many of those pics are actually repens as well.

Hmmmm.

After looking at pictures, what do you think about Staurogyne sp. 'porto velho'? It's a relative of repens, has more elongated leaves, and tends to be more horizontally inclined. Google through some picture, but be careful as many of those pics are actually repens as well.

Thanks so much for this! I think it could be S Porto Velho based on its looks and growth pattern. The growth speed however is very much like H Polysperma. I've read that S Porto Velho has an ivy-like growth pattern and this certainly does. It has grown toward the side of the tank and is now creeping up the wall, like ivy. I heard it turns purplish under high light, so I will let one stem grow to the top and see what happens. That could determine wether it is the hygrophila or the staurogyne Porto Velho.

Also, I've noticed that the leaves don't have the signature hygrophila look that I've seen on google.

Plus it doesn't seem like Tropica to keep two different generi (?) in the same tank. Or to get them mixed up.

Thanks so much for this! I think it could be S Porto Velho based on its looks and growth pattern. The growth speed however is very much like H Polysperma. I've read that S Porto Velho has an ivy-like growth pattern and this certainly does. It has grown toward the side of the tank and is now creeping up the wall, like ivy. I heard it turns purplish under high light, so I will let one stem grow to the top and see what happens. That could determine wether it is the hygrophila or the staurogyne Porto Velho.

Certain varieties of polysperma, eg rosanervig, are prone to doing that, but outside of those it's not a particularly reliable finding. I just have a hard time believing that polysperma would grow over like it's doing here; it's much more of a grow 'up' plant.

Certain varieties of polysperma, eg rosanervig, are prone to doing that, but outside of those it's not a particularly reliable finding. I just have a hard time believing that polysperma would grow over like it's doing here; it's much more of a grow 'up' plant.

Yeah that does make sense. I think I would have seen the color by now if it was rosanervig or something. Plus Fresh told me that S repens grows in little bushes sort of, with side shoots from the base of the stem, that make it look like a bush. I have seen a bit of that so it would make sense for it to be a staurogyne species.

Along each node of the main stem in star repens are a set of paired leaves. If the main stem is cut then they will start growing. Sometimes they will grow even if the main stem is not cut.
In some cases they will simply grow out sideways in the pic below. Horizontal growth is followed by vertical growth. Not quite a runner but lateral growth nonetheless.
Looks like aqua_chem has identified this one. He has helped me in the past with proper plant identification.
G9n4JFS.jpg

Along each node of the main stem in star repens are a set of paired leaves. If the main stem is cut then they will start growing. Sometimes they will grow even if the main stem is not cut.
In some cases they will simply grow out sideways in the pic below. Horizontal growth is followed by vertical growth. Not quite a runner but lateral growth nonetheless.
Looks like aqua_chem has identified this one. He has helped me in the past with proper plant identification.
G9n4JFS.jpg

I think I understand. Like two smaller leaves near each node? By the way the image doesn't work for me.

In that case if anybody wants some of this S Port Velho they are welcome to it! Just pay shipping and it's yours. It has grown great, very little algae if any at all and no pests in my tank.

Water test: nitrates 10-15 ppm, phosphates 2 ppm. I'm trying to up phosphates because I have some sort of algae, GSA I think, and upping phosphate is supposed to help that. I've been dosing three times the recommended amount of phosphate based on PPS pro. I'm aiming for 4 times after I adjust the mix. I'm also upping the MgSO4 to try and get my hardness up.

Interesting thing, my mom accidentally dosed triple the micros and macros while I was gone. No ill effects so I may make adjustments to my current mix.

That could be what caused the algae..

Goes without saying, but keep up with testing. Don't be like me (10+ phosphate).

I thought 2ppm of phosphate was ok. Thats what i shoot for anyway

Back
Top Bottom