Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought 2ppm of phosphate was ok. Thats what i shoot for anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Huh. I don't know. I've heard 4 and 5 ppm from Rivercats and OS but some people shoot much lower.

Regardless, I have a bit of GSA that I'd like to get rid of before it gets bad, so I'll up it and go from there.

My co2 definitely needs to be raised. Its weird, I'm at around 5-10 bps (not kidding) and my co2 line goes right into my canister intake, but the drop checker doesn't turn green until a 3-4 hours into the photoperiod. Co2 comes on 1.5 hours prior to light.

Not sure whats wrong there.

OS deducted that 4ppm was the magic number. Speaking of OS , anyone hear from him lately? David?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like aqua_chem has identified this one. He has helped me in the past with proper plant identification.\

I'm not convinced. That last pic looks like s. repens to me. It might be two different plants mixed together? I'm not sure. Could just be a repens acting like a rebel.

I'm not convinced. That last pic looks like s. repens to me. It might be two different plants mixed together? I'm not sure. Could just be a repens acting like a rebel.

My picture or fresh's?

I'm pretty sure its the same plant but some new leaves or ones at the top are longer than the others at the bottom.

Plus the growth speed seems unlike S. Repens.

I sent some to Brookster, he might be able to chip in or see how it reacts to his parameters.

It's a hygro. I've had a few species and the leaf structure fits to a a teeeee, viens and all. My hygro Kompact would send out side shoots similar to s. Repens, on occasion it would almost be considered a runner??? perhaps it just caught a clear view of light and made a break for it?? Purely speculation as I have no real basis for contesting anything aquachem has stated thus far, having said all that.. I am exhausted and will retire for the evening, g night..

It's a hygro. I've had a few species and the leaf structure fits to a a teeeee, viens and all. My hygro Kompact would send out side shoots similar to s. Repens, on occasion it would almost be considered a runner??? perhaps it just caught a clear view of light and made a break for it?? Purely speculation as I have no real basis for contesting anything aquachem has stated thus far, having said all that.. I am exhausted and will retire for the evening, g night..

Ok, thats 2 to 1, pretty definite then. I guess it is just being a #rebel and growing sideways. :lol:

I'm confused as to why this plant isn't used to carpet more often. I guess its just high maintenance.

I may get some S Repens or some real S Porto Velho and see if that grows well, maybe even replace it.

Ok, thats 2 to 1, pretty definite then. I guess it is just being a #rebel and growing sideways. :lol:

I'm confused as to why this plant isn't used to carpet more often. I guess its just high maintenance.

I may get some S Repens or some real S Porto Velho and see if that grows well, maybe even replace it.

It grows a bit tall for a carpet? No? I think the idea behind a carpet plant is one that stays neat and tidy.. think hc:)

And this is what I come home to.

Overgrown hygrophila:

Rotala trying to carpet:

Ugly side root ludwigia:

And more algae:

Great.

Once I get everything settled i might try to carpet DHG. Its worth a shot at least.

I have some pogo erectus, red ludwigia, and anubias in the mail.

Yes i think that is the correct metricide.

Tanks looking good considering

Id hate that hygro in my tank. It looks incredibly invasive

Yes i think that is the correct metricide.

Tanks looking good considering

Id hate that hygro in my tank. It looks incredibly invasive

Ok thanks.

Thanks. I want a different carpet now that I know the power of the p+.

Yeah it really took off this week.

I think when the ferts and carbon get the that ideal level where the are in line with the plants...boom! Growth!
The invasive growth you have reminds me of the broadleaf chain sword I had in my tank last year. Barely grew but several weeks after adding DIY CO2, there were no stopping it. It filled the entire left side of the tank before I finally got rid of it:
TlSJUbI.jpg

I think when the ferts and carbon get the that ideal level where the are in line with the plants...boom! Growth!
The invasive growth you have reminds me of the broadleaf chain sword I had in my tank last year. Barely grew but several weeks after adding DIY CO2, there were no stopping it. It filled the entire left side of the tank before I finally got rid of it:
TlSJUbI.jpg

Huh. I guess maybe but i didn't really change anything major recently.

I'm going to do a huge trimming, water test, and then a 2 day blackout.

I decided on the blackout because I ran out of both co2 and excel so it may be a bit before I get some.

Plus I have some algae.

Back
Top Bottom