Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to plant that hygro on my med/low light 10 gal and see what happens.. nice background anyways..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Today I received Pogo, Red ludwigia, Anubias nana, and some surprise sunset hygro.

I planted everything, FTS to come.

I also refilled the co2 tank. Instead of running co2 directly into the canister I'll try running it right below the filter output. That might help. Before it was on 10+ bps and still just a green drop checker. If I went down to 3 like I'd expect for a 20 gallon, it would stay blue all day.

Can't wait to see how the tank look like after planning new plants.

10+ bps for a 20gal tank...it's ridiculous high. Even with 3bps. You should invest in a better CO2 diffuser or reactor

I agree, 10 bps is quite a bit of CO2. I recently bumped mine up from 1 to a little over 3 bps and it keeps the Fluval DC light green. It goes into HOB intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know its weird. That was running right into my canister intake.

I have a co2 atomizer as well, which I am using now (just normally, so the bubbles float up to the surface) and it is running at around 2-3 bps.

Holy moly, 10 bps?!? No wonder that plant was growing like crazy! !

Holy moly, 10 bps?!? No wonder that plant was growing like crazy! !

Nah. The drop checker was still like green. It was weird.

Its been at 3 bps all day and I come home to a dark green drop checker. Not where I'd like it. Oh well.

Update:

New ludwigia:

My strange way of trapping the extra co2. I think it works well but I don't know.

And my POTM entry. I almost think I have a chance! :lol:

You've got a forest in there.
The inverted cup is a version of a CO2 bell. It works by trapping CO2 and not allowing it to go the the surface and escape. This increases contact time and CO2 absorption into the water.
The POTM pic is nice!

Yep the foreground is overgrown. I'm contemplating a DHG attempt later on. Maybe I can ask Sk3lly to tell it to grow. It seems to like him. :D

Yep I've heard of a co2 bell. I took the rig down I don't think it would've helped. It filled up quickly.

Thanks! I entered last month but I think I could really get close this month.

What's your surface agitation like? You might be gassing off your co2 too quickly.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be it but before I has it at 10 bps going straight into my canister intake.

The surface is rippled but not splashing. The tank is in my bedroom so its pretty quiet.

Look ma, no hands!

Did a huge water change. Cleaned the tetra filter pad. Wiped algae off glass and leaves. Replanted the AR top.

I can see new pogo growth which is promising. Same with the ludwigia and sunset hygrophila.

Also I put 4 ml metricide over the AR and AR mini and 1 ml on the anubias. I had a bit of algae on each.

Look ma, no hands!

Did a huge water change. Cleaned the tetra filter pad. Wiped algae off glass and leaves. Replanted the AR top.

I can see new pogo growth which is promising. Same with the ludwigia and sunset hygrophila.

Pretty creative. You may want to get one of those kitchen sink screens and place it inverted over the drain. Just in case something get through the hose.

Pretty creative. You may want to get one of those kitchen sink screens and place it inverted over the drain. Just in case something get through the hose.

Yep I will do something like that. I still watch the hose to make sure nothing gets too curious.

Back
Top Bottom