Lighting recommendations for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any lighting recommendations for a 55g freshwater tank? I'd like to stay relatively low maintenance in my planting (no CO2 systems) for now. A kid at the LFS pointed me toward the Deep Blue 248, but all the Amazon reviews are terrible. All ideas will be considered. Thanks.

Are you going to do a planted tank? If so do you want low light or medium light that would give you a larger variety of plants to choose from? Also you can use a liquid carbon instead of CO2 if you go with a medium light set up.

I have a T5HO's 2 bulb fixture on one of my 55's and a Build My Led fixture on the other 55. The BML fixture can be purchased with a dimmer which allows you to use 10-100% of the light so you can use it for lower light but wouldn't need to buy a new fixture if you want to move into a higher light.

Are you going to do a planted tank? If so do you want low light or medium light that would give you a larger variety of plants to choose from? Also you can use a liquid carbon instead of CO2 if you go with a medium light set up. I have a T5HO's 2 bulb fixture on one of my 55's and a Build My Led fixture on the other 55. The BML fixture can be purchased with a dimmer which allows you to use 10-100% of the light so you can use it for lower light but wouldn't need to buy a new fixture if you want to move into a higher light.

Yes, I'm planning a planted tank, but I'm not interested in high maintenance CO2 set ups. Your LED solution is intriguing for its scalability.

I have 4 Build My Led fixtures and love the versatility of them. They are more expensive but over the long haul they don't need bulb replacing every 6-12 months which can add up and the fact you can use them any way you want is priceless. I use the high light 6 hours a day and then use the 10% for a few hours extra in the evening on most tanks but I have one tank that I only use 50% of the light for 6 hours then 10% in the evening.

Here's a link... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC.

Back
Top Bottom