Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

well i went over to my local aquarium store and picked up a pepermint shrimp and one pound of live rock to start for now. i will get some more live rock next week. are there any special requirements for the live rock? i am not worried about the shrimp dying as he would end up being my raw shrimp hehe anywho do i need to feed the shrimp anything? i was worried about that and i don't want to delibertatly kill the poor thing.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, but adding a peppermint shirmp now is not a good move. Many people on this site do respect the well-being of our aquarium inhabbitants. Adding a shrimp now is asking for cetain death to the animal. Inverts are very sensative to poor water conditions. Your best course of action is to take the shrimp back and proceed as we directed. Even if the shrimp does perish in your tank, it will not be enough to activate a full cycle.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

a raw shimp from the grocery store is cheaper bigger and the thing is already dead
Old 08-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #14

well he seems to be doing just fine, very active in his new home. i am just as worried about his well being as everyone else here, so if i see that he's not doing well i will take him back to the aquarium store. but can anyone tell me if there are any special requirements for the live rock?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

There isn't anything you need to do to the lr. It will pretty much take care of itself. i have had my tank for about a year and I can now see worms and all kinds of creatures in my rock. Its really cool. You can feed your shimp fish flakes. Mine like shrimp pellets. good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #16

okay cool, i can already see some stuff growing on the LR. I am going to take the shrimp back to the shop tomorrow as i don't want to kill it with the spikes.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

Sorry for the late post. I didn't get check the site this weekend. It sounds like you are doing great by taking the shrimp back and doing the fishless cycle. All the advice has been sound. I bought damsels, after my cycle. They were neat at first and very hardy. I think, for me, that was a good choice, since I didn't know anything about SW. Thanks to the folks here, I have learned a lot and am still learning tons more. Keep in mind, some damsels will become aggressive, as they get older.
When you asked about LR, most of these abbreviations will be underlined. If you put your mouse over the underlined abbreviation, a little window will pop up and tell you what the abbreviation is.
Put you mouse on these:
LR LS

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #18

Don't be sorry for posting late, people have lives too lol thanks, i figured out that mousing over the abbreviation shows you what it stands for. very cool. i was thinking about starting with a damsel as i don't plan on having any real sea anemone's in my tank just yet as they are really expensive, and i would really like to have a clownfish, so i was thinking maybe once my tank had been running for 3 or 4 months then i would get a clownfish. i also know that damsels get aggressive as they get older, i did my homework okay so i continue to do tests to keep track of my spikes and once they all become 0 i am good to add fish? i can't wait
Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Me either! Get some pics!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com