T8s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What type of fixture do t8 lamps go into?
Obviously t5s go into specially made t5 fixtures, but when I look for t8 fixtures I cannot find anything.
I am not using this for a reef, just looking for an answer.

Thank you! So just your basic fluorescent fixtures? Can either t12s or t8s go into those?

There are some ballasts that can run both but that rare. IMO you can't run them. It's either one or the other. I mean it will work but will burn out soon after.

How do you differentiate which you are getting? Any time I read the descriptions online they just say fluorescent tube. How do you know if it's t12 or t8?

How do you differentiate which you are getting? Any time I read the descriptions online they just say fluorescent tube. How do you know if it's t12 or t8?

When in doubt call the company but it should say it somewhere what bulb is takes. If you have to replace a bulb your going to need to know what bulb it is.

If call if it doesn't say...

Most of the new shoplights are T8 although T12 tubes are still available. T5 shop lights are showing up now but cost significantly more.The pin orientation is the same in T8 and T12 so the tubes will fit either. Some fixtures, like the shop lights I have, which have electronic ballasts, will run both.There are good, inexpensive, selections of T8 tubes in many places such as Home Depot and hardware stores, not so much for t%, yet.

Back
Top Bottom