Future 10g red cherry shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How long should I leave the stocking filled with gravel from my other tanks in this one? It has been in there for a few days now and I definitely have nitrites and ammonia going well now. Can I take this out now?

I would leave it in until your cycle is over. It looks great though! I really like your driftwood. I have been wondering where to find some, they seem so expensive!

Update with pictures...

I finally decided to go ahead and put my wood in the tank today. I had changed the water it was soaking in this morning and just checked it again and there were no tannins leaking, so I decided to go ahead and put it in. I knew it would only help my cycling process.
I had to put the rocks on top of it to keep it submerged. I will remove them once it is water logged. I stuck a bunch of java moss in some of the nooks and crannines. I know it is a really large piece, but I want it to be the focus of the tank since that is where the shrimp will spend most of their time. I would LOVE some planting advice for the back of the tank. I want something to fill in and grow upwards to at least the height of the tank. :)

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide
Go here and it will show you what type of plants are good where in the tank. It also tells you what kind of light is needed and also how hard they are to manage.

Thanks Speed, I will check up on that driftwood at Petco. That is a very good price. So when I buy it I boil it for how long? And how long does it need to be water-logged for?

Thanks Speed, I will check up on that driftwood at Petco. That is a very good price. So when I buy it I boil it for how long? And how long does it need to be water-logged for?

I got my driftwood online so never saw it beforehand, its a large piece similar to Dottie's. Its is kind a big for a 10G in that you dont have alot of options where to place it, basically you have to make things fit around this. SO I would advise you to check them out in store if they have any. You should only have to boil it for 1hr at the most, then let it soak for a day or however long till the water is clear(mostly).

Dottie heres a couple other sites for plant info:
Aquarium Plants | My views, Steve Hampton, on how to succeed with aquarium plants
Aquarium Plants Photos & Profiles at the Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

No problem Dottie! I just found that today, I have been doing research on plants, since i am converting my 10 gallon tank to a planted tank.

How big is that piece of driftwood?

Thanks speed for the info. I have been trying to look around for a good piece of driftwood for a good price and haven't found any yet. :p

Tifta - it is about 17 inches long. Big for a 10g, but like I said, I want it to be the center piece since the shrimp are going to hang around it so much (hopefully).

Tifta - it is about 17 inches long. Big for a 10g, but like I said, I want it to be the center piece since the shrimp are going to hang around it so much (hopefully).

Gee you really did get a good deal on that driftwood. I like it a lot.

I want it to be the center piece since the shrimp are going to hang around it so much (hopefully).

Oh they will, mines kinda curved and propped up(kinda like this ^), the love to hang upside down underneath it, in fact thats where the molt the most also. I'll get a pic later, it has moss and Java Ferns on it also(on the top, its just bare on the bottom).

Oh they will, mines kinda curved and propped up(kinda like this ^), the love to hang upside down underneath it, in fact thats where the molt the most also. I'll get a pic later, it has moss and Java Ferns on it also(on the top, its just bare on the bottom).
Would love to see a picture!

Nasty green gunk on my driftwood....

I get home today from out of town business and my driftwood is growing this nasty greenish mold/algae looking stuff. I bought new plants while I was out also that I was going to plant in there and now I don't know what to do....my parameters showed perfect cycling this morning. Ammonia around 2 and nitrites around 2-4. I dosed a little more ammonia in to get it back up to 4. I left the lights on while gone and I get home to a nasty looking tank. What do I do now?
I am hoping you can see what I am talking about in these pictures...it was hard to capture well on camera......there is like an inch worth of this stuff encasing the wood all around....like some wierd cocoon....

Last edited:
It's perfectly normal to have stuff grow on new driftwood. It should go away as the driftwood matures.

Update without wood!!!!

Okay guys....whatever was in there WAS NOT good....I don't think my tank should have been smelling like something rotting....or worse......I took my tank cover off and reached in and grabbed that slimy piece of wood and the smell was noxious when I brought that thing out of the tank. I mean bad! I never had that happen with my other 10g tank when cycling with a piece of wood...so out it came. When I lifted out the wood all of the slimy stuff stayed in the tank in may gelitan like pieces. So...I got drastic....I am sure some of you would not agree with what I did...but I did what I thought was best because of the smell coming from it.....I put the wood out on the back porch and completely drained the tank (all but about 1-2 gallons). I kept everything wet that would have the beneficial bacteria on it....but I put completely new, clean water in and added my new plants (wisteria in back and I think a java fern in front on left...I can't remember on that one). Anyway. I added another filter with a cartridge in it to try to help clear out some of the gelatin left in the water. I also took new pictures. I kept my beautiful rocks as the center piece with java moss tucked all around them. So...opinions please...did I do the right thing? I know it might have prolonged my cycling a bit more....but I couldn't handle the sight nor smell of what was growing in there.

I would not worry about removing the wood causing any slow in cycle. I'm not experienced enough to know how driftwood effects a cycle. I just dont see it making any meaningful difference. I guess if you let that wood soak somewhere else for a couple more weeks then see if it seems better.

Not sure what that plant is in the front left

Well....not sure what happened. After removing the wood and changing the water last night I DID remember to put ammonia back in the water. What I put in probably should have brought it back up to at least a 2. Remember, yesterday morning I had great readings for cycling - ammonia about a 2 and nitrites were 2-3. This morning I checked my parameters and ammonia is running about a 1 and nitrites just barely .25. Did I stall my cycling? and now it is starting over? I am not sure how that could have happened because I didn't remove anything but the wood....everything else stayed wet in the changover process. Any ideas??
BTW - I remembered the other plants I got were swords not java ferns.

Last edited:
Well....not sure what happened. After removing the wood and changing the water last night I DID remember to put ammonia back in the water. What I put in probably should have brought it back up to at least a 2. Remember, yesterday morning I had great readings for cycling - ammonia about a 2 and nitrites were 2-3. This morning I checked my parameters and ammonia is running about a 1 and nitrites just barely .25. Did I stall my cycling? and now it is starting over? I am not sure how that could have happened because I didn't remove anything but the wood....everything else stayed wet in the changover process. Any ideas??
BTW - I remembered the other plants I got were swords not java ferns.

I just bought some driftwood on line for 8 bucks and it is coming to me soon. Is your wood still pretty messed up? I don't want to put it in there if it's gonna get like that. Especially if I have fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom