New Tank Build: 29 Gallon GSP Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, now is this level tbsp or rounded? How much would you say for a 55 gal? double it?

It's a level tbsp.

I'm not sure specifically what a 55g would be but doubling sounds like a good start, just remember that when converting plants from FW to BW you want it to be slow and steady to avoid killing them and I had all my plants in place as I was cycling up (added them over a couple weeks time).

I got lucky and found a forum posting with specific info on converting a 29g from FW->BW. Google (once again ;)) is your best friend for info on BW systems and here's a good link to start with.

Starting a Brackish Aquarium, what you need and what you can keep.

"Around 1-2 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.005-1.010 will be adequate for the full lives of most of these fish. Green Spotted Puffers prefer saltier conditions with around 3-5 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.010-1.020."

Thats what it says on that site. you said you added 2 level tbsp to 29gal to bring ti 1.002, is there that big of a jump from .002 to .005 or .010?

"Around 1-2 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.005-1.010 will be adequate for the full lives of most of these fish. Green Spotted Puffers prefer saltier conditions with around 3-5 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.010-1.020."

Thats what it says on that site. you said you added 2 level tbsp to 29gal to bring ti 1.002, is there that big of a jump from .002 to .005 or .010?

With plants, you want baby steps on raising the SG to properly acclimate the plants. So by adding just a couple tbsp each day, acclimation is stable and constant. It's important that the bacteria has a chance to convert to BW also.

As for the SG of GSP? 1.020 is for adult size, younger can (should?) start at 1.002-4 and raised during their growth period. As always, I use a lot of info as a guide and not a hard/fast rule. In a brackish/swamp/estuary setting the one thing the water isn't, is a stable/constant SG. High tide comes in salinity goes way up, heavy rain fall/swollen river/low tide and SG becomes near zero. So to say "SG has to be X" is a false statement IMO/E/research.

Cycle Update:

Well about 2 weeks in and I'm fully cycled.

Ammo 0ppm
no2 oppm
no3 >40ppm
pH 8.0
SG 1.002

Plants look great, the DW stopped spitting tannins in my face lol and a PWC later will get the no3 down a bit. Think I'll go get a couple Blue Legged Hermit crabs today (inverts from Petco are OK) and get some food in there to keep the cycle going. If they have them, BB Gobies go in tonight!

Looking nice, Mr. Limpet! (y)

A brackish tank now, huh? Somebody has a case of MTS! :p

Thank you McLumpy! my GF saw some GSP at Walmart and insisted I build an enviro for a pair. Just got done drip acclimating 3 Blue Legged Hermit crabs and 6 Bumblebee gobies and getting them in the tank tonight. If they ever get the app working again I'll post pics :D.

Of course my daughter had to have a tank and since the Moors spawned and I had 14 1" fry they went into a 20g in her room (temp only). That was an easy one, since I have FW instant cycling down to a science lol. She had fun directing me in decco and plant placement though, now if I can get her to do PWC I'd be a happy dad lol..

Thank you McLumpy! my GF saw some GSP at Walmart and insisted I build an enviro for a pair. Just got done drip acclimating 3 Blue Legged Hermit crabs and 6 Bumblebee gobies and getting them in the tank tonight. If they ever get the app working again I'll post pics :D.

Of course my daughter had to have a tank and since the Moors spawned and I had 14 1" fry they went into a 20g in her room (temp only). That was an easy one, since I have FW instant cycling down to a science lol. She had fun directing me in decco and plant placement though, now if I can get her to do PWC I'd be a happy dad lol..

So... what you're saying is that the gals in your life are a bad influence on you. Gotcha! ;) lol I think it's great that your gf and daughter are enthusiastic about fish! I wish my husband was, but he could care less. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see the pics of the Crabs and Gobies! :D Keep up the good work! (y)

So... what you're saying is that the gals in your life are a bad influence on you. Gotcha! ;) lol I think it's great that your gf and daughter are enthusiastic about fish! I wish my husband was, but he could care less. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see the pics of the Crabs and Gobies! :D Keep up the good work! (y)

I'd say,more in charge of my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way :D. Oh and just to clarify, I'd never buy a fish from Walmart lol. But I do buy plants from wally world and I get free pond snails and MTS, so I'm happy with that aspect ;).

Cycle Update:

Actually cycling is over, so it's a stocking update. YAY!

ammo 0ppm
no2 0ppm
no3 10ppm
pH 8.0
temp 79-80
SG 1.003

All I can say is, going from nothing to a fully cycled tank in a couple weeks or so is a great feeling and FW->BW conversion to boot!

Stock as of tonight is 3 BL Hermits, 6 Bumblebee Gobies, about 10 pond snails that some how survived the entire cycling process and a broad range of (BW adaptable) plants that seem to be lovin' the salty water given the growth they're exhibiting.

Once the app is working, PICS!

FYI: If you're planning a BW setup, API responded to an email indicating that water parameter testing for BW should be done with the FW test kit.

I'd say,more in charge of my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way :D. Oh and just to clarify, I'd never buy a fish from Walmart lol. But I do buy plants from wally world and I get free pond snails and MTS, so I'm happy with that aspect ;).

:lol: That's right, give in to the females... or else! :p

I refuse to buy fish from Walmart too. I didn't know they sold live plants. I may need to check out my local Walmart and see what they have available. I tried contacting a guy on CL a week ago because he had some plants for sale... but he never responded. That is so annoying. I even sent him 2 emails and posted an ad telling him to contact me. Oh well... his loss.

:lol: That's right, give in to the females... or else! :p

I refuse to buy fish from Walmart too. I didn't know they sold live plants. I may need to check out my local Walmart and see what they have available. I tried contacting a guy on CL a week ago because he had some plants for sale... but he never responded. That is so annoying. I even sent him 2 emails and posted an ad telling him to contact me. Oh well... his loss.

I was really surprised and going to plantgeek right there I was able to confirm they were actual aqua plants (unlike my Petco lol), they looked in good shape and the price was 1/2 what my LFS wanted. Yeah, CL is hit and miss at best (SFBA is home to CL and everyone uses it here), but that's where we got the tank/stand for this build and at a great price. When we went to get it, she thought we we're going to flake and wasn't there lol. She showed up 10 minutes later and we got a great deal on a few things (they were moving, so score!).

I was really surprised and going to plantgeek right there I was able to confirm they were actual aqua plants (unlike my Petco lol), they looked in good shape and the price was 1/2 what my LFS wanted. Yeah, CL is hit and miss at best (SFBA is home to CL and everyone uses it here), but that's where we got the tank/stand for this build and at a great price. When we went to get it, she thought we we're going to flake and wasn't there lol. She showed up 10 minutes later and we got a great deal on a few things (they were moving, so score!).

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from Petco. Although, they do occasionally have a buy 3, get 1 free sale on the plants. But it seems like the sale is only going when the plants look like they're dying. lol

I'm a CL addict, so I've scored a few items as well. My 55g was one of them. ;) But yeah, some people on there are really flaky. This plant guy's ad even said, "I'll respond ASAP". Pfft. I'm guessing ASAP to him is some time within the next few months. lol

I better hit the sack. Have a great night!

The new lighting should be in tonight (kit arrives today :dance:) and we'll see if the 10000K/Actinic bulb is going to get the look I want and feed the plants some much needed 55w rays (2 fixtures plopped on top right now lol), plus some sweet blue light for effect.

The most notable growth is the banana plant has a leaf (?) shooting up towards the top of the tank and it's grown 10" in the last 3 days or so.

I just couldn't wait, so I cheated a bit and put the 10kK/Actinic PCF bulb in my DT and it looks great. Bright white with the blue really set off the colors in the tank and the overall brightness of the light isn't diminished much with the combo PCF.

Very cool! (y) Got any pics of your DT w/ the new lighting?

I like how the Actinic bulb makes every thing look better in the tank. My husband says our tank looks too green, (pfft! lol), so, I'm wanting to get a 2nd Aqualight fixture. This way I can have another 28w 6700k and an Actinic in there to help w/ look of the tank. Of course, CO2 would be needed, (according to a few folks on here),because I would be at 1.5wpg.

How many wpg are you at on DT w/ the new lighting? Are you running CO2?

Very cool! (y) Got any pics of your DT w/ the new lighting?

I like how the Actinic bulb makes every thing look better in the tank. My husband says our tank looks too green, (pfft! lol), so, I'm wanting to get a 2nd Aqualight fixture. This way I can have another 28w 6700k and an Actinic in there to help w/ look of the tank. Of course, CO2 would be needed, (according to a few folks on here),because I would be at 1.5wpg.

How many wpg are you at on DT w/ the new lighting? Are you running CO2?

Until the app is back, I can't post pics. Yeah, I'm really impressed by the combo in the FW, not sure if the BW will make it look different or not. I'm 55w on a 37g tall @6700K and the 29g GSP will be 55w @10kK/blue. The supplier said it's still 55w of power to the plant though. But if it is a bit lower I won't complain.

That's what I like about DW, it contrasts the green and why would you be high light at 1.5wpg? 2.5+ wpg I could see. You can always try it without co2 and see what happens.

Until the app is back, I can't post pics. Yeah, I'm really impressed by the combo in the FW, not sure if the BW will make it look different or not. I'm 55w on a 37g tall @6700K and the 29g GSP will be 55w @10kK/blue. The supplier said it's still 55w of power to the plant though. But if it is a bit lower I won't complain.

That's what I like about DW, it contrasts the green and why would you be high light at 1.5wpg? 2.5+ wpg I could see. You can always try it without co2 and see what happens.

No problem about the pics. I'll keep following along. :D

I don't think that they were implying that it would be high light, but more that I could have an algae bloom due to the lack of CO2, eh, or something like that. I still plan on trying it out whenever Big Al's gets that fixture in stock. Either that or I'll replace my current fixture w/ one that would put me around 1.5wpg and includes an Actinic bulb. I just don't feel like spending a lot of money. :rolleyes:

No problem about the pics. I'll keep following along. :D

I don't think that they were implying that it would be high light, but more that I could have an algae bloom due to the lack of CO2, eh, or something like that. I still plan on trying it out whenever Big Al's gets that fixture in stock. Either that or I'll replace my current fixture w/ one that would put me around 1.5wpg and includes an Actinic bulb. I just don't feel like spending a lot of money. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have some algae in my DT from the 55w light but it's coming under control now lol. I use Excel to add carbon and it seems to be helping.

Thanks for following!

Back
Top Bottom