New Tank Build: 29 Gallon GSP Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new light is in (CPF 55w 10kK/Actinic kit) and it really lights up the tank. The BBG's seem to like it and the plants should too. My banana plant has grown a leaf stem from the base (banana cluster?) to the top of the water in less than a week and that was with the junky lights I used to date. I see another sprouting so who knows I may have a lily pad like surface before too long.

I made a change in the spray bar position, cutting down the spare tube that came with the kit and installed it on the right side wall of the tank so it sprays the whole length of the tank, rather than front to back. Not sure if that's too many changes all at once, but it'll be easy to change back if need be.

Still trying to figure out a cuc for low SG (1.003) BW, so if anyone has ideas, please pass them along (siva's looking too).

BBG's seem to be pretty picky about what they'll eat and so far I've tried brine shrimp and bloodworms.

In my research, a couple more things came up, tubifex worms and daphnia. Anybody have any experience or comments on these foods? I know live is better, but I don't want to get into a tank for live brine shrimp and whatnot just yet.

TIA

Shrimp cocktail in the tank lol. I took 3 of my ghosties from my Betta community tank and drip acclimated them to this one. Figured like the BB Gobies, they should get established before the GSP come in.

The snails now number close to 50 I guess, so there's snacks galore for the GSP and the banana plant leaf is about 2 feet long and a very colorful purple.

Keep us posted on how the shrimp do. I was hoping to put some in my bw tank once it's all set up. I finally got a couple new (and larger!) aquariums so as soon as I move beginning of next month my dragon goby finally gets the conditions he deserves!! :)

So far, so good with the ghosties in BW. They're cruising around and the BBG don't even care about them. Gonna get a dozen this week and acclimate them for the BW tank. Of course once the GSP's are in things will change for them lol.

Added a 4th Ghostie, 3 AES and a MTS to the mix. We'll see how things go over the next week, since there's a delay in bringing in the GSP. One thing's for sure, there's gonna be about 100 pond snails for the GSP lol.

New pic of the tank and the banana plant leaf (stem is) 2 feet long. Tried getting pics of BBG's but they're to skittish lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110517_165010.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110517_165010.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 170
GSP are in da house! :dance:

First thing they did, decimate the snail population in about an hours time and that includes the tiny baby snails (about 100 of them) and boy are they vicious hunters :eek:.

They seem to be getting along with the BBG and athough they want to eat the AES and ghosties, they have yet to catch one :ermm:.

Meet Jake and Elwood Blues :band:

Pics: The brothers in final acclimation, checking out their new home, the remains of a snail shell after being stalked by Jake :devilish:.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110521_234534.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110521_234534.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 130
  • ForumRunner_20110521_234556.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110521_234556.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 153
  • ForumRunner_20110521_234617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110521_234617.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 151
This almost happened to me.. My GF saw GSPs in our LFS and almost bought them there and then! Had to talk her out of it, but a brackish tank with a pair (She named then "Bingo" and "Bango") is on the long term to do list....

Looks great! Love watching the vids on youtube of puffers snail hunting! They're funny lil guys!

That's awesome!!! It's been along time coming. I bet they had pretty chubby bellies after eating all those snails.

The Editor said:
This almost happened to me.. My GF saw GSPs in our LFS and almost bought them there and then! Had to talk her out of it, but a brackish tank with a pair (She named then "Bingo" and "Bango") is on the long term to do list....

Looks great! Love watching the vids on youtube of puffers snail hunting! They're funny lil guys!

+1 to you for talking her down from the ledge as it were. Lots of research and a properly prepared BW tank is a must IMO/E if you want them to stay happy and healthy.

They're cute as a button with their innocent eyes and and sheepish smile till they tear into something like a snail and shred it apart and gobble it down lol.

BfishLpond78 said:
That's awesome!!! It's been along time coming. I bet they had pretty chubby bellies after eating all those snails.

Thanks!

It has been a long road to get to this point, but well worth it and these guys seem pretty happy with the home I built for them.

They started out with round, bright white bellies when I got them and only got bigger. Gonna have to figure out a way to get a massive snail farm going fast so they leave everyone else alone including my plants. My GF doesn't want to do feeders, but I may have to sneek some in lol.

Back
Top Bottom