Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. The hatchery looks great. We may need a video walk through to get a full grasp though.

I may have used you pictures to show the wife that my 6 tanks isn't that bad. [emoji41] I may have also neglected to mention that your set up is a commercial hatchery (pick and choose the data as needed).

Thanks for all the info and advise that you are sharing with us.

Hes a man In his element. May we all learn. GO ROYALS.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow! It looks like you have a lot going on with this setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yes there is, which is why it's taken me a while to get it all going. But this is what it takes to make good fish. 1 fish and 1 tank just won't cut it. ;) :whistle:

Agreed. The hatchery looks great. We may need a video walk through to get a full grasp though.

I may have used you pictures to show the wife that my 6 tanks isn't that bad. [emoji41] I may have also neglected to mention that your set up is a commercial hatchery (pick and choose the data as needed).

Thanks for all the info and advise that you are sharing with us.
I agree. I tried to take a video but either I am too close (and the view is blurry) or too far (and you can't see anything clearly) to really get what's happening. :( Maybe someone with better knowledge of videography can come and do it for me. :brows: I make good fish not good pics :D lol

Glad this thread has helped with the Mrs. You can never have too many tanks in my opinion. :lol::whistle:

Hes a man In his element. May we all learn. GO ROYALS.

My family has always said I must have been reincarnated from a fish. I just love em!!!! :smitten: :lol: (y)

So I was thinking, I'm sure you all want to see pics of the fish I'm raising more than just tanks. So here goes. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• Golds  & Pandas.jpg
    Golds & Pandas.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Assorted Marbles.jpg
    Assorted Marbles.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Half Black - Zebra Lace fry.jpg
    Half Black - Zebra Lace fry.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Black-Zebra Lace- Black Lace.jpg
    Black-Zebra Lace- Black Lace.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 60
More fishies ( put your pointer on the pics and you see the names of what's pictured.)

Attachments

• Zebra Lace.jpg
    Zebra Lace.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Pair #2 fry.jpg
    Pair #2 fry.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Pair #4  fry.jpg
    Pair #4 fry.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Blushing- GM fry.jpg
    Blushing- GM fry.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 53
And finally:

Attachments

• Red Cap tank 2.jpg
    Red Cap tank 2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Baby Red Cap-GM.jpg
    Baby Red Cap-GM.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Black Lace Veil.jpg
    Black Lace Veil.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 62
No, these aren't the fancy colors that are the "in fish" at the moment but what you'll notice is that these fish have all their fins, they are strait or not disfigured and their colors are good. I'm also working on more 1/2 blacks, Zebra Lace Veils, Marble Veils, Silvers & Barred Marbles ( both straits & veils) and waiting to see what the outcome is from the Red cap fry and the Blushing Gold Marble fry. It should be interesting. :D

Tough call on tanks or fish for me!:rolleyes:
The whole show looks outstanding!(y)
I take note of the gallon markings on every tank.:brows:
The sign of the "mad scientist" and I know all about it.:cool:
Very nice pictures Andy and thanks again for sharing so much with us all!
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Tough call on tanks or fish for me!:rolleyes:
The whole show looks outstanding!(y)
I take note of the gallon markings on every tank.:brows:
The sign of the "mad scientist" and I know all about it.:cool:
Very nice pictures Andy and thanks again for sharing so much with us all!
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Actually, it might sound "mad" but by marking the tanks with the gallons, I can go through and do appropriate water changing amounts without having to think too hard about it. :blink: I just drop the water to that level and add accordingly. It also helps with medicating when necessary. I know exactly how much water I am medicating so I don't over or under do. ;) ( I learned that trick decades ago and it saves so much time. :whistle: )
As for sharing the info, I'm glad to do it. :) This is a great hobby when the info is available and correct just as it's very frustrating when you can't get the the right answers. Hopefully this will help. (y)

Well today, some tough choices had to be made. I split up some of my most prolific pairs because their offspring just aren't good. What good is having hundreds of fry if 60%, 70% or even more are no good or die for no reason? So I have rematched pairs and hope for the best. My big black male now has a black female so I can add some blacks to the list of keepers. I've incorporated veils into many of the pairs so hopefully I will see some good results from this. Even tho some of the adults are straight tails, I know they came from a veiled parent so mixing them with a veiltail fish should still result in a higher percentage of veiled fry. Not mixing them with a sibling should also have good results. We'll see. ;)

On a personal note, I see this thread is closing in on 20,000 views. All I can say is WOW!!!! I only hope that this thread helped shine a light on the problem with today's Angelfish and how and what it takes to fix the problems. If enough of us demand quality fish from our local shops, even bigbox stores, eventually will listen and start carrying better quality fish. If you are following my lead, that's when you and I can walk into a store and say " If you need quality fish, I have quality fish to sell you". It won't happen tomorrow or quickly for that matter, but at some point it will happen. That's the only way I know how it will happen. I'm making a delivery to a store this week and already the buyer has changed his prices for what he says he pays and started in with wanting bigger fish for smaller prices. No worries on my part. Once he sees the fish, I know he will not complain about size or price. If not, he can continue to get his regular fish from his regular supplier who has nothing special about his fish. I know because I shop there and see what he has gotten in the past. In fact, that's where my red cap came from. ( blind squirrel finding an acorn kind of thing. :lol:) He didn't even know what he had. Just thought it was a poorly colored Koi. ;) But as I said, I have people wanting my fish so it's no great shakes to me if he balks. You get what you pay for with me. ;)
So thanks to everyone who has viewed my little mid life crisis :D I hope it helped all of you.:flowers:

Not just your thread, but you sir, YOU help all of us. A BIIIIG THANKS to you and all your caring if our hobby and industry. I can speak for myself when i say youve picked alot of us up along the way, net in hand, typing advice in the other. We all appreciate it. Keep going and know what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just your thread, but you sir, YOU help all of us. A BIIIIG THANKS to you and all your caring if our hobby and industry. I can speak for myself when i say youve picked alot of us up along the way, net in hand, typing advice in the other. We all appreciate it. Keeo going and know what you have.

Thanks. I'm just trying to do my part. You see, THIS was how the hobby USED to be. Ask any longtime hobbyist. Hopefully it will get back to this way again. (y)

Yes thank you Andy. You certainly have been a big help to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Glad it's helped (y)

Ok, I've teased you all long enough. :lol:
Here's pics of the hatchery as of today. It's not easy to get good full pics of the rows because the space between the rows is a bit narrow to stand and get a wide angle shot so I'll have to do this in a few posts.

Starting off we have the breeder row. The first pic is the original layout followed by what's now happened. I've condensed some of the 10s to make room for some extras so the next 2 pics are the front and back ends that have reconfigured. I know the place looks messy with airlines but this is because the lines for some of the top tanks are now with the fish in the middle and bottom rows while I added the extra tanks.

Looking good my friend! Thanks for the endler tip, I'll be moving them to my overplanted "junk tank"

Your hatchery is amazing and you've been a huge help and inspiration to many. Thanks so much for the time you give the community! :thanks: :fish1:

Looking good my friend! Thanks for the endler tip, I'll be moving them to my overplanted "junk tank"

Your hatchery is amazing and you've been a huge help and inspiration to many. Thanks so much for the time you give the community! :thanks: :fish1:

Thanks. Just trying to do my part.:flowers: (y)

So I made my delivery today and there was no issues with my price. I knew once he saw the fish the discussion would be over. ;) That's what happened with the other deliveries as well. Good fish are hard to come by and those who know good fish, are usually willing to pay for them. (y)

On another note, I'm keeping these as future breeders. :D

Attachments

• Future breeders 1.jpg
    Future breeders 1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Future breeders 2.jpg
    Future breeders 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Future breeders 3.jpg
    Future breeders 3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 59
Those look nice!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

The new can of shrimp eggs came today :dance: I'm excited because I screwed up and didn't order them soon enough so I would have been out tomorrow and with it being a holiday tomorrow, I wouldn't have gotten them until Monday which would have meant no food for the new babies until Tues. :( Sometimes, things work out. ;)
So far, the new pairs I matched together are all getting along except the Zebra Lace. She's just a terror to her males. I put in the beautiful Male Zebra Veil from pair #7 so I knew he was fertile. She's already torn his beautiful long dorsal fin to shreds, bitten his tail into pieces and keeps him hiding behind the spawning slate. I guess I shouldn't be surprised tho, she tore the 1/2 black male a new one too. lol He has NO dorsal fin right now and his tail has a few pieces missing as well. He would hide amongst the plastic plants I had in there because he was too long to hide behind the slate. You all may remember the hysterics a few pages back with those 2. I'm hoping now to make some Zebra lace veils with this new pairing. (y) I'm hoping to spawn the 1/2 Black male to a silver veil female so that in a year or so, I can breed their babies to produce 1/2 Black veils. :D I just hope the shortened fin doesn't turn off the ladies :brows: :lol:

I'm not getting too excited but today, I was looking at the babies I still have from the 1/2 black pair and it looks like a couple of them are getting darker in the tail region and their dorsals are more black than not. Maybe...... just maybe.... they are starting to turn? Fingers crossed. :D

So on that note, let me wish you all here in the U.S. a happy 4th of July. Hope you all have some great times celebrating. I'm looking into watching the fireworks from legoland. :D ( if it doesn't rain :^s ):smilecolros:

What is the the possibility of a grown Angel, a couple years old, grown out in a 72G tank, living alright in a 20G for a year or the rest of her life.

I need to rehome her so my male can either have a new mate, the other female in the tank, or I can rehome her too and end up with just males only tank. The issue is her going to some one I know and who would take good care of her but right now only has a 20G available, or rehome her to someone I don't know. The reason I am wondering because she wouldn't be stunted and also the breeders seem to keep their pairs of fish in 20G...? So wondering...what the better of the two situations could be and ideas.

She is the fish in charge of the tank and never lets the other fish relax, the tank is not peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom