Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what did ya think abt the pics of the pinoys, andy?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So what did ya think abt the pics of the pinoys, andy?

Structurally, the fish look nice. (y) Color wise, I can't tell.:( On my monitor, they look silver, just silver. :( :(:huh: But I'll get those tanks going for them if it kills me. ;)(y)

Today was a pleasant surprise. I went to feed the 30 gal with the new Black Lace veils and the known females I wanted to pair up with them and noticed the middle slate was being protected, rather fiercely, by the only straight tailed female in the tank. :facepalm: On closer inspection, I found a Black Lace Veil NOT being the subject of her attacks and drifted over to the slate with no reaction by the female. Guess what? I have a new pair. Eggs all over the slate. :D :D So now the eggs are in their own tank and the pair has been rehomed to their own tank as well. We'll see how this all turns out. The female is the one who beat up her mate so I am not taking any chances with her. First sign of aggression and she is up for sale. :^s

Grrrr..... I gotta get a nice camera.

It may not be your camera. I have issues with some other colored pics as well. I took some nice shots of sunsets while on my trip last May and on this computer, they look.....eh :( I was really disappointed with my rainbow shot. It looked great on the camera, not so much on the 'puter. :banghead: Right now, this is the only computer with internet access so until I upgrade or add on, I just accept it. I'm not rushing to get a new 'puter just to see pics. Live is always better anyway. ;) (y)

Poppa-I can see some blue in the forehead area of your angels. Not sure if this is the color you are looking for, but it's definitely there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. I just need to get a light on them. The breeder room runs on natural light cycle. It is what it is, lol. Im more looking to get a critique of a live specimen from the master. Its always good to know where your efforts stand.

Sun, through one window, doesnt cut it. Ive got some black lace veils as well ive recently been working with. So im excited to see andys start going.

Good day, andy! Whats with this manacapuru (dont know if this is correct) wild angelfish im seeing pop up.... Its new to me, and was hoping you might have some info on it.

Good day, andy! Whats with this manacapuru (dont know if this is correct) wild angelfish im seeing pop up.... Its new to me, and was hoping you might have some info on it.

As of now, they are a regional color variation of P. scalare. Descriptions have them taller, like altums, but the red/orange markings are more pronounced in the shoulder and back areas than the "typical" wild scalare. With the deeper explorations of the Amazon years ago, many varieties of Angelfish were found but they have mostly been declared as P. scalare varients. These were supposedly found in the manacapuru lake and rio negro river.

Hope this helps. (y)

I'm actually anxious to get down South because my friend said he found a booklet that has all the new regional color variants in it so he wants me to see it. It's missing the cover so he doesn't know the name of the thing and I've been looking for anything on the internet that shows all the variants and can't seem to find anything. He said that the booklet also describes an altum looking Angelfish that is being sold as a true altum but it is a Scalare. I'm thinking it's the Peruvian altum but will have to wait until I see the thing before I say yea or nay. It's been years since I have had true altums and only got 1 pair to breed 1 time in the 1980s. The spawn never hatched :( so I am hoping to get another crack at them before I go to that big aquarium in the sky. ;) The prices, however, have gotten a bit crazy so I may need to pull some strings to get them at a better price. ;) (y)

There has been a little turn of events here in the hatchery. So far, mostly good. ;) The bad: I lost the big marble female my buddy just gave me. No other fish in the tank had any issues so I'm thinking it was just her time. She WAS a huge fish after all.
The good: I've started a guarded happy dance as the new 1/2 black's spawn has hatched. A very high percentage hatchout. I can't wait to see how many are good.
Yesterday, the Zebra Veil male finally came out of hiding and the Zebra Lace female wasn't picking on him too bad. His tube was partially exposed so he must be " in the mood" and that may have intrigued the female. :brows: Today, I saw some lip locking and he was not backing down when she was trying to push him. He is a proven breeder so he knows what's what and I guess he just let her be her until he had had enough. He is in better shape, fin wise, than the 1/2 Black male that she was with so maybe he has a stronger attitude even tho he is smaller than the other male? I can't wait to see a spawn from them. Would love to start a Zebra Lace veil line. I did put the 1/2 Black male in with a proven silver veil female so hopefully, I can get at least 1 spawn out of that pairing so I can introduce the veil gene into a 1/2 black line too. Fingers crossed on that one. ;) Did my water changes today and got 2 spawns tonight. :D I just wish the Black pair would pop. She almost looks like she swallowed a golf ball. I was warned she doesn't spawn often and now I'm hoping she doesn't have any issues carrying that many eggs for so long. Thankfully, I have some Blacks growing from the original Zebra Lace/ Black pair so if she does go, I will have some backups in a few months.

Lastly and sadly, I learned last night that my neighbor, the Koi farmer, died a few days ago. It was a shock to say the least. He was hospitalized the day before memorial day and air lifted to another hospital out of town but was getting better. Then one night, he wasn't and that was it. I'll miss our "over the fence" fish chats we used to have. It's just a reminder for me to get all my information out there before I go to that big aquarium in the sky myself. So ask away!!! :)

Im sorry to hear abt your neighbor. Im sure he will be missed. And dont let me hear any more talk abt your big aquarium in the sky.... You had better outlive me. Who else is gonna guide me? All that said... Id love to see you do a zebra lace veil. And lets hope for the best on your hatches.

Im sorry to hear abt your neighbor. Im sure he will be missed. And dont let me hear any more talk abt your big aquarium in the sky.... You had better outlive me. Who else is gonna guide me? All that said... Id love to see you do a zebra lace veil. And lets hope for the best on your hatches.

Thanks for the kind words. :flowers:
Without getting too morbidly philosophical, that's the nature of life. Here today, gone tomorrow. I am genetically predisposed to living a few more years OR a few more decades depending on which side of my family I follow. Makes it crazy trying to figure out how to live. :confused: That's why I started this quest to help as many fish hobbyists as I can to help keep the hobby going after I go, whenever that may be.;) It is an homage to my Mentor. Sadly, as it was way back when with no internet or constant contact, I had moved 1200 miles from my Mentor and over time, had lost touch. I achieved some great things and experiences over those years all because of the start he gave me and when the opportunity to go back "home" came about, I couldn't wait to meet up with him again to share them. Sadly, I found out, the store had closed and he had died years before. I never got the chance to share my life's work, brought about by his mentoring, with him. Thankfully now, thru the use of the internet, I can share with many and see the results without having to be right there. :) Trust me, it's as much a treat for me as it is, hopefully, for you all. So let's try and fix some of the issues we have with the fish we are left to keep. I know, there are ways to fix things. Through genetic manipulation, we can breed out the same issues that have been bred into today's fish. It just takes time and careful selection. This thread is a showcase of how to do it. Thanks for reading it. (y)

With your permission, i'd like to post a few pics of my black lace veils and ask if you think their fins are too angled or anything else you might see wrong or right. Ive been working on them and need a fresh set of eyes. Thanks for everything andy.

Back
Top Bottom