10 Gallon FOWLR Stocking Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would I get amazing filtering? I know the rock and stuff is part of the filter system in sw, but should I get a couple HOB filters too?

It really depends on YOUR system. I have a huge filter, and only 5 fish in a 150, but they eat a lot, so I have ridiculous nitrates. It's better to have a multi-pronged approach against poor water quality IMO. That's why I'm still beefing up my filtration. I have a 55 gallon sump, reef octopus NWB200, 170 pounds rock, caulerpa, ATS, vinegar dosing, and I'm going to add a reactor with carbon and GFO, a RDSB and mangroves. Lol.

Okay, well, I'll have two hob filters, and do more frequent water changes. Ugh, I just realized I'm going to have an all out war with algae, cause the only water I can use is the water from our tap... DX

You may want to buy a Rodi unit instead of one of the hobs. It's more important IMO. My nitrates in my tap were ridiculously high. Seriously, RODI water is actually needed for a reef tank.

Ya really. Tap is disgusting. Lol. I ran 40 nitrates in a tank with rock and some inverts. Nothing else.

Yikes! My water is actually well water, so it doesn't have some of the problems regular tap water does, but it seems to help algae grow faster... Although it had no nitrates when I tested it... But I'll save up for an RO unit.

No nitrates means nothing. It's the TDS in the water. Save up for the unit I sent you, it's the cheapest and best quality for the $$$ you can find. Hope it all works out :).

That looks very confusing... Lol, I'm sure it'll be less confusing when I actually have it. So, I'll definitely be saving up for that one. :)

It's not confusing at all. Just a bunch of tubes. One hooks up to the sink, one is a waste water tube (the bad water) and one is a pure water tube (for the tank). The tubes come with labels so you know which one is which.

My suggestion for fish is to get two and if you can keep nitrates under control for a long time, go ahead and get a third.

So, I just added up the price of all the things I want to buy for this tank, and I honestly have no idea how to get all this stuff... DX

Bettababe1011 said:
So, I just added up the price of all the things I want to buy for this tank, and I honestly have no idea how to get all this stuff... DX

Ok post up a list and lets see, im curious about the cost.

If you were closer i'd donate a light fixture to this cause!! Arghh

Okay, the things with astericks(sp?) are what I need right away. That's only around 100 bucks though. But here's everything I want eventually:

*Hydor Koralia Nano Powerhead 240 $14.99 Amazon.com: Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 240 gph: Pet Supplies
24" 48W (2x 24W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series $39.90 Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED 403nm Ultraviolet $39.00 Stunner LED Strips - 6watt, 12in.
*0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration POQ-4B-100 $65.00 PureWaterClub.com
CoolWorks Microchiller Hang-On Unit $169.00 CoolWorks Microchiller Hang-On Unit (Must be bought with The Temp Controller below)
CoolWorks Iceprobe Proportional Temperature Controller 65 F To 85 F $59.95 CoolWorks Iceprobe Proportional Temperature Controller 65 F to 85 F
Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen $33.99 Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart
*Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand (Fine Oolite Substrate 20 lbs) $19.99 Marine Substrates: Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Foster & Smith Aquatics
API Reef Master Liquid Test Kit $28.99 Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master Liquid Test Kit
*API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit $21.99 Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit
*Fluval M Heater (50W) $23.99 Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Hagen Fluval M Heater
Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner (2-8.45 oz) $11.98 Chlorine and Heavy Metal Removers: Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner
AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115 $59.99 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21416
Total: $564.77

I don't think you'll need the water conditioner. The RO unit will remove chlorine and all that stuff that water conditioner takes out.

I've also found that the API Calcium test makes it difficult to determine the test result and I'd recommend getting a different brand. I've had no luck with it.

Everything else looks good. Wow that's a big price tag. That sucks X(

Lol, I completely forgot that the RO unit does that! XD And I'll look for a different brand for that test.

Great. All the other API tests are very accurate though, so stick with that brand for everything else. They got me through two cycles, including the one for my own 10 gal fowlr.

How much money do you have saved so far?

Back
Top Bottom