10 Gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the live rock and live sand and my tank cycling, when do I change the water? At the end? Just to be sure... And is it recommended on here to use the premixed water that the LFS has or should I just mix my own using RO water?? Which is best?? I need all the info I can get. I know once fish are in the tank that I need to do a weekly water change. What about until then??

You don';t have to do a water change until after the cycle. You will just have nitrates at that point and you will water change them out and then you are ready for fish. :)

If I only I knew now what I didnt know then!! I really wish I knew everything I know now 2 months ago when I got my first freshwater tank. :facepalm: I sunk 200 in a 10 gal fresh water, moved to a 29 gal freshwater and spent another 300 and now Ive changed my 10 gal into a salt water tank and Ive spent 200 dollars on it thus far... If I had it to do over I would have definatly NOT listened to the people that said that saltwater was extremely hard to take care of. :banghead: I would be cycling a 29 gal reef tank. But I am very excited about my 10 gal reef. I will take this as my learning experience and later move all my saltwater stuff to my 29 gal. :)

So. I added blood worms last night and alot of fish flakes today. I put them inside the panty hose to keep them from dirtying the tank. Waiting for ammonia to show up.

My tank had a funny, strong smell tonight. It's not like a strong smell you can smell from a ways away. You have to get close to smell it. Lol. But it sorta tickles my throat. Lol. Is that just the salt that is doing that. I'm currently cycling my tank using fish flakes and blood worms inside panty hose and I've hung them on the side of the tank. They have a huge amount of white fuzz-like growth on them. Any suggestions???

Going tonight to buy more live rock. I am going to take the base rock I've got out and go with a little more live rock. I'm also gonna start dosing the pure ammonia tonight. I'll post pics once all is finished this evening.

Here is a pic of my FOWLR tank. I am waiting for the nitrates and nitrates to go unreadable, being that the ammonia is being consumed so far in about 6 hours now. I'm so excited! Almost there.

ForumRunner_20120309_164240.jpg

Added more live rock last night. I have a total of about 13-14 pounds of rock with more than half live. I am going to position the rock differently to make swimming room. Only a ten gallon tank. So I believe I have more than enough for a good filtration system after all the bb build up.

Rite now I've got them all really close together, thinking, it might cause the base rock to start growing the algae sooner. But I will def post pics when I get it scaped in a more permanent way.

Whoa whoa whoa! Just looking into my tank, THERE IS SOME SORTA WORMS!!!! What the heck are these!!! They are tiny. The more I look, the more I think I see!!! Good or bad?!?

Could you post pics please? There could be a hand full of things that look like worms. :)

It could be bristle worms. Do they look like this?

Attachments

• image-256722227.jpg
    image-256722227.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 113
I don't know then. The only thing I can think of that's small and white are feather duster tubes which don't move. Maybe one of the more experienced reefers will help

Well. I'm not really sure what one looks like. These are like small white worms that move.

Back
Top Bottom