10 Gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-3816254564.jpg

image-3225102524.jpg

Here's some pics of my damsel fish. Not good because I took them with my phone. But I named him Gus. He is the first fish in the tank. I'm slowly adding them. I added five blue leg hermits last Saturday and this guy today. Keeping my water changed. Everything seems to be going as planned. Lots of little creatures everywhere. I guess they can with the live rock. Going to get my light fixture this week and get a coral next Saturday.

Not sure yet. I am gonna start with some simple hardy easy coral until my tank fully establishes. Any recommendations?

I may get some mushrooms. I am wanting to cover my rocks completely with corals. Do I need to start adding reef crystals. As well as the salt to the water??

If you want a nice carpeting effect then I'd go with either green star polyps or blue cloves both grow very quickly, easy to grow, good filter feeders, and give nice movement to the tank..on the downside though not as much color as your shrooms or zoas

I am at a cross roads again! I am considering slowing down on my 10g. I am wanting to, in the future, move all my sand and rocks into my 29g. The only prob is, all my freshwater fish are in the way. I do like my freshwater tank. But I want a bigger saltwater tank. I have considered talking to my LFS and seeing what kinda deal I could work out with him. But idk if he will take my freshwater fish as a trade-in. I know they take saltwater fish. I don't have room for a sump. Would I need one on a 29g salt tank? Or could I use a HOB refuge/skimmer? Any advice or thoughts would be great!!! Thanks in advance!

From my understanding you don't need a sump on a 29. Some may say you don't need a skimmer, but I'd do one because it will keep the water nice and clean. Refugiums are nice because they breed Copepoda and ampipods. Also, if you keep a light on it all the time it will reduce pH swings at night. So that would be a nice addition too. I don't actually own a saltwater tank, but I'm going to and I've done alot of reading and research about it.

As for your freshwater fish- you can try to return them to the LFS. They may or may not take them. You can also try listing them on Craigslist. Do you have any in your 29 that will be able to live in your 10? Because you could also turn your 10 gallon tank into a freshwater tank.

As for slowing down, if you really are going to upgrade then I'd say slow down. You'll have less things to move. Plus I've read that slower is better when it comes to saltwater.

Again, I have no real experience with this but I've read alot on this forum and done alot of my own research. I know one of the others will chime in with their experience.

You would be much better off turning your 29 into a SW gives you a lot wider selection of fish then a 10 and more water volume means easier to keep parameters in check which if you plan on corals then that is key..as for your fish, I would almost for sure say that your lfs will atleast adopt your fish maybe give you a tiny bit of store credit but its usually so little that it really don't even matter...so before you buy or add anything else to your tank you need to decide what you wanna do because the best way to handle a SW tank is to have a plan that you've gone over many times and stick to it as best as possible

Depends - are you attached to your FW guys? do you have a fairly established tank with schools or big monster fish you've grown out?
If you have a 10 g SW with not much going on yet, have you considered maybe rehoming your clownfish (or trading in?) and looking into selling the 10 g to get a bigger SW setup?
I see 40-55 g tanks go for 60-100 bucks all the time on CL, and I know plenty of people with 75 + 125 + 40 g setups in tiny apts.

Just food for thought. Personally, I would keep my FW buddies and ditch the tiny tank to go for a big reef with more fish selection (if that's your train of thought).
Nanos aren't great for selection of fish - you're pretty much limited to clowns, gobies, etc. If you want to broaden your options go bigger :)

True about craigslist. I got my 55 gallon with stand for $150. Granted it needed some cleaning, but it was well worth it.

janky said:
That's a really good deal... mine was $100 with all the parts, but we had to buy a stand - of course we opted for a brand new expensive fancy one with doors and cabinets :p

:eek:

:banghead:

Mine came with freshwater equipment. 3 filters, two lights, 3 air pumps, a 5 gal bucket of gravel and some glass tops. I trashed the gravel and decorations and the undergravel filter. Also the glass tops. One was broken and they both looked like crap. So really I got a ton of stuff.

Anyway- Nemo, if you have space and the budget for a larger tank I think it would be a great idea! Then your 10g can be a QT tank for any new species you get and you can keep your freshwater fish. :) As you can see from our examples big tanks don't have to cost alot to buy. Especially if you're willing to clean one up. My husband would have sh*t a brick if he saw my tank before I cleaned it. Now you'd never know the condition it was in! It looks brand new!

Back
Top Bottom