10gal, need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckaquarist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I got 3 juvenile and 2 adult Mollies, and 2 Fruit Loop Tetras (yes, I fell victim to not knowing about the dying process).

I want to add a cleaner type of fish, what would be recommended?

Is there any small Pleco's that stay small? Any other kind of fish recommended? Just want something that can eat the little bits of algae, some of the food that ends up in the bottom.

Thanks for any advice, its greatly appreciated.

Any plecos will get too big, but you can try an otocinclus catfish or two, or a mystery snail. The snails are probably best for cleaning up the gravel but don't expect them to eat a whole lot of algae. Giant ramshorns do a great job of clearing out algae, if you can find one. Just be warned that the snails poop a lot more than the oto cats.

If this is a new tank, don't add any more fish for a few weeks until your ammonia and nitrites are at 0.

Tank has been setup for 8 months now, and have had the Mollies in there since the beginning, had the babies about 2 weeks in, all 3 lives and are now half the size of the adults. Added the Fruit Loops about a month and a half after setup, and they are doing great.

you know why they died,

they are dyed fish, they have significantly shorter life spans even if they survive the dying process

Back
Top Bottom