120 gallon Tanganyika tank: Tropheus are 2 weeks in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, as it turns out, our cylindricus are jerks and killed 4 out of 6 Cyprichromis leptosoma. Lesson learned. We still have all the synodontis, at least. :facepalm:

I came across a few bags of Tropheus duboisi Maswa that I just had to have... and I ended up with 14 for a stupidly low price. They range in size from about 1.5" to 2.25", and are in varying stages of juvenile and subadult coloration, which is really cool. I added them 2 weeks ago tomorrow and they've done really well so far. I loooove them, so I just wanted to share a short video. ;)

Well, as it turns out, our cylindricus are jerks and killed 4 out of 6 Cyprichromis leptosoma. Lesson learned. We still have all the synodontis, at least. :facepalm:

I came across a few bags of Tropheus duboisi Maswa that I just had to have... and I ended up with 14 for a stupidly low price. They range in size from about 1.5" to 2.25", and are in varying stages of juvenile and subadult coloration, which is really cool. I added them 2 weeks ago tomorrow and they've done really well so far. I loooove them, so I just wanted to share a short video. ;)

It's tanks like these that make me really really want a Tanganyika tank!
Gorgeous tank and fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fish look happy.

Thank you! They do bring a lot of activity to the living room, to be sure. They are fascinating to watch and I'm looking forward to watching them change color. Predictably, the cylindricus are cranky and do a lot of chasing. I haven't seen any damage yet so I'm hopeful that my stock will work out.

Bichir Bro, I am utterly fascinated by Tanganyikan fish and I can't believe they aren't more popular. lol. There are a lot of Tang species that don't require huge tanks, like shell dwellers, so maybe start there and see if the Tang bug bites ya. ;)

Holey rock pile!!! Well maybe atleast that myth can go to bed.. yes people, Glass is actually pretty strong;) that's going to be a sharp tank once they color up! I noticed what appeared as Micro bubbles on the surface? Any story there? Just had a wc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All the rock is on egg crate, none is directly on the glass. There is probably 250 lbs of rock in there. Water change was 2 days ago. I have 2 canisters on the tank, not sure about the bubbles.

Thank you! They do bring a lot of activity to the living room, to be sure. They are fascinating to watch and I'm looking forward to watching them change color. Predictably, the cylindricus are cranky and do a lot of chasing. I haven't seen any damage yet so I'm hopeful that my stock will work out.

Bichir Bro, I am utterly fascinated by Tanganyikan fish and I can't believe they aren't more popular. lol. There are a lot of Tang species that don't require huge tanks, like shell dwellers, so maybe start there and see if the Tang bug bites ya. ;)

Haha ok! I'll definitely see if I can't sneak a tank into my room!

Wonderful tank, Severum. I should be upgrading to a 75 gallon tang soon to let my Spathodus erythrodon get away from my multies more, plus I have my eye on some cyprichromis microlepidotus that my LFS from Michigan had last time I was up there. They breed them so I am pretty sure they'll have them again. At any rate, tank looks amazing!

Hi, Severum. How did you hide you hardware in your aquarium (heater, filter, etc.)?

Mike, is that your blood parrot in the picture? How old is it now?

Red spot gold severum.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops. It looks like blood parrot cichlid, sorry.

Hi, Severum. How did you hide you hardware in your aquarium (heater, filter, etc.)?

I have a 500 W titanium heater behind the rock on the left side of the tank. Filtration is 1 XP2 and 1 XP3, so there is a canister on either side of the tank. The heater cord and filter tubes are visible in the tank, just not in the video. The tank is 5 feet long. I need to get some of those magnetic heater clips because the suction cups are all old and brittle on my filters and heater so they don't stay where I want them and it looks all wonky. This is the whole tank:
qXvtWd1.jpg

I have a 500 W titanium heater behind the rock on the left side of the tank. Filtration is 1 XP2 and 1 XP3, so there is a canister on either side of the tank. The heater cord and filter tubes are visible in the tank, just not in the video. The tank is 5 feet long. I need to get some of those magnetic heater clips because the suction cups are all old and brittle on my filters and heater so they don't stay where I want them and it looks all wonky. This is the whole tank:
qXvtWd1.jpg

Like the hydor mounting cups? Those are available separately?

I thought so, but I don't remember what brand I think I saw.

I thought so, but I don't remember what brand I think I saw.

Ooooo, post back if you find them please! they are very handy! They sell suction cup variety packs at home depot, having a fish room I'm sure you know every single store with 25 miles that sells them though;)

Most of my filters are sponges, and I only run 4 heaters so I really don't use suction cups that much.

I feel like I might have seen them at aca, but I can't remember for sure.

You just temp control the entire room?

Back
Top Bottom