120g build officially under way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripseven

Aquarium Advice Activist
The inspiration finally overwhelmed me so here it is, in my home, my new Oceanic Reef Ready Ultimate 120g black tank.

1/2" Starphire beveled front glass w/polished edges
Dual Mega Overflow with Oceanic overflow kits
American Oak stand and canopy

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 84
Thanks Shane. I plan on documenting this entire build on this thread so plenty more pics to come. Sorry about the flash on the tank pic. Time to knock the dust off my pic takin skills LOL.

Nice tank! Do you have your sump yet?

No sump yet. Still deciding on DIY sump or buy one already made...Hmm

Funny thing, it didnt look so big in the store but got it home in a smaller room and whoa! way huge:eek:. Glad I went this size tank now.
Next week sometime will be looking at MH, sand and sumps

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Glad you like it.

Ya that front glass is crystal clear. Probably should have gotten the sides starphired too but that would up the cost considerably so I didnt...still very pleased with it though.

Got some more goodies yesterday. Think this pair of 250w heaters are enough to keep my temps right?
Splurged for this Turbo Twist UV. Will 18w be sufficient?
Also got these timers. Says they are for day-night timer or wave-maker. Do these work well?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 87
The heaters should do the trick though you may want another as backup. I don't know much about those timers but the one I bought that is similar crapped out on me after about a month. I got individual timers for my MHs and actinics. I use digital timers 3 different ones running on my system.

I don't use UV so I can't help you out there.

Got the spare heater covered. An AGA 300w for backup, QT, LR cure, PWC etc.
Looks like the CSS will be going back and thinking about getting an Octopus NW200 or Extreme 200. Any thoughts which would be better since ther are close in cost?

Hmmm....I think I would go with the Extreme 200. I use a ASM G4X recirculating skimmer on my 120 system. Octopus makes a very good skimmer.

Ok the extreme it is. Must be better since it cost more ay:lach:

A little concerned with this stand. I really like the wide open front access but with no brace and 3/4" mat'l Im wondering if this has the strength to take all the weight. The only thing I have to go by is that the stand is build for a tank this size. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81
3/4 inch....and built for the tank??? should be fine....looks good and I can't wait for more updates!!
I also use individual timers

I'm jealous.....this will be fun. I wish I was there with you...starting from the begining rocks.....I'd have more tanks, but I need a bigger house!! lol....I'll be moving in a few years so I can have a 250 gal reef display....my dream

Got my 50lb Fiji base rock order from MarcoRocks today. Great looking stuff! The two large rocks are 12" and the box of rubble is about 1.5 gallons worth. More rubble than I wanted but coming from MA to WA I guess I should expect that from FedEx.

Thinking about getting another 50lbs of the same stuff plus 25lbs Tonga shelf rock and the rest Fiji LR from LFS for seeding.

Attachments

• DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom