12g Nano Cube w/ Current Truelumen Pro LEDs Retro-Fit Upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lure of having it in the cart too long was too great... just had to click BUY didn't you?!? Haha

The lure of having it in the cart too long was too great... just had to click BUY didn't you?!? Haha

Yessir, had to have a bag of that gucci dirt

On another note... it seems there will be a TON of Finnex Ray2 lights at the SCAPE auction on Sunday. Lot's of folks dumping them. Glad I didn't impulse buy the 24" at amazon (only $91 delivered w PRIME)

But after poking around a bit, I noticed something very peculiar and interesting... the TruAqua SkyLED 24" and the Finnex Ray2 LED have the same exact specs, and look almost exactly the same too... but the Finnex is $50 cheaper (24" size) on amazon.

But why is that kook still looking at Finnex after finding BML?
I might pickup the 48" version of the Finnex Ray2 for "general lighting" purposes for my next DIY project: relocating my nano tanks under a single fixture. I may still use the Dolphin LEDs, or perhaps sell them, but I need to move my 2Gs out of the kitchen real soon.

Where is that guy in the small apartment going to put 3 (soon to be 4) nano tanks?
Well as it turns out, there is about 14" of vertical wall space between our fireplace and mantle in the living room. The plan is to put a shelf there to put the tanks on. The fireplace is an ornamental gas (for looks only, non wood burning) and emits zero heat with the glass doors closed. I was thinking about suspending a cheap LED, like the FR248, from the bottom of the mantle to light the tanks for general viewing. Me and my crazy ideas...

Interesting... yeah I noticed that about the truaqua light and Finnex. I guess they have the same supplier overseas and modify them per instructions of Truaqua and Finnex...that's my guess. It's like the re-branded Archaea and UP Aqua lights.

The FR248 idea to light up those nanos seem kinda sketchy to me. Wouldn't their be too much light and lots of light spillover in between? The optics are pretty wide too, so it would be all over the place. Kind of distracting in a livingroom setting, no? To get it narrow enough, the light would have to be real close, which would make the PAR go through the roof, resulting in a lot of algae...not to mention blind fauna! Haha

Maybe you should rig up a DIY LED bar and place a CREE LED positioned on that bar to be directly over each tank. It would have a spot light effect, but with the appropriate beam angle and distance, should be enough to light up each tank without spillover. Something like those Kessil lights, but somehow fabricated together and spaced evenly to each respective tank.

The FR248 idea to light up those nanos seem kinda sketchy to me. Wouldn't their be too much light and lots of light spillover in between? The optics are pretty wide too, so it would be all over the place. Kind of distracting in a livingroom setting, no? To get it narrow enough, the light would have to be real close, which would make the PAR go through the roof, resulting in a lot of algae...not to mention blind fauna! Haha

Make believe advice from make believe friends makes me feel so much better... I hadn't really thought it all the way through :banghead: it was just a thought at 4 AM.

I do want to relocate those tanks and since I have the Dolphin LEDs on everything now, I'll just keep them. I really want to know if a since fixture will grow glosso in the 2G Cube

Thanks again, Brian

You're welcome...

On another note... New build thread in the works! I'm going to miss my 12g nano cube. But hello gucci! Haha

ForumRunner_20130913_180524.jpg

And although I'm a big proponent of the faux garden mat a la "shelf liner" from target, I got the real deal (garden mat) plus the tank locally from a new ADA distributor in AZ cheaper than I would have the tank alone shipped from AFA or ADG. So I'm happy ;)

LOOK!!! MY tank is already stocked with fauna! Haha :blink:

iXj9D6x5XaoAQ.jpg

BTW.... I thought ADA is suppose to be perfection here!?!? I noticed about 1.5cm gap between the front and left glass panels where silicone is suppose to be in the front-left top corner of the glass. The silicone doesn't extend all the way up and flush like the other corners.

Would you guys complain or am I being too nit-picky?

I also noticed some minute, very thin, elongated bubbles in the back left silicone seam. Problem?

Lastly, not a flaw... more like an annoyance and an FYI. The 60cm Garden Mat is not cut to exact dimensions of the 60P. I thought I got one that wasn't cut correctly, but apparently ADA gives you excess for what ever reason. It is said on their site for the end-user to cut it to size. The one I have pictured here is actually 65cm. First-world problems! :facepalm:

That silicone job is disappointing. On my Mr. Aqua tank the seams were perfect.

Looks good though, Brian. Excited to see the thread!

I thought I read something on TPT about recent quality issues with the ada tanks... Hmmm... Sorry bro, I'm sure it'll hardly be noticeable. We'll all be focusing on the scape anyways! ;)

But do you guys think the bubbles in the silicone or that gap will present a structural integrity problem down the road? I want this sucker to last forever! Especially to the one day I can afford ($$$) to convert it into a SW reef (years aways)! ;)

I also saw something about ADA tanks seeming to have quality issues. If it were me, I would complain and see what they do. Maybe they will send you another for free? :brows:

Thanks for the input... I sent over an email to see what they'd say. I'm not going to make a big fuss over it if I don't get a favorable response. As long as it passes the holding water test, that's all I really care about.

Edit: and yes, I've heard the same complaints that the new ADA's (with the new logo) are not as perfect as the older ones.

Thanks for the input... I sent over an email to see what they'd say. I'm not going to make a big fuss over it if I don't get a favorable response. As long as it passes the holding water test, that's all I really care about.

Edit: and yes, I've heard the same complaints that the new ADA's (with the new logo) are not as perfect as the older ones.

Well there is a rumor that the tanks are now being made in China (rather than Germany). I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I think there's a good chance that it's true. When you have a large factory with lots of workers going as fast as they can to make things, there is bound to be at least some imperfections or slight differences. When they were made in Germany, they might not have been trying to make them so fast (so they paid more attention to detail). This is just a rumor though, I am not 100% sure that it's true.

No it's true, sad to say... I have been told the same through multiple trusted resources. Even the distributor told me that yesterday when I was in his shop. We were taking about how there's many more options now with comparable quality. I told him about my Aqua top high clarity cube and how they look similar in many respects. He went on to confirm my suspicion that they come from the same OEM factory. Just that ADA has more rigid standards to also offer up the 3 year warranty. But TBH, despite those standards...they look the same to me, just the name and ADA badge on my tank makes the price jump.

Overall my tank is still in good condition. It's acceptable.. but I'm curious as to his thoughts on my inspection and my expectations. Since I don't have much to compare it with, other than my GF's 60F, which is flawless BTW, I'm not sure what to expect? So I shot him over that email yesterday... still waiting on the response.

Back
Top Bottom