180 gallon Discus planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Austin.b said:
Wow, your tank is looking good!! I love the sword! Can I ask you what your stock list is? Thanks!

Thanks!
X10 Discus
X18 rummynose tetras
X4 roseline sharks
X4 GBR
X4 ottos
X4 fancy guppies
X4 cherry barbs
X3 dojo loach
X4 bnp 2 brown 1 calico 1 albino LF
X4 SAE
X1 crowntail betta
X1 candy stripe plec
X1 spotted plec (temp)
A pair of apistos double red
I think that's everyone lol

Thanks!
X10 Discus
X18 rummynose tetras
X4 roseline sharks
X4 GBR
X4 ottos
X4 fancy guppies
X4 cherry barbs
X3 dojo loach
X4 bnp 2 brown 1 calico 1 albino LF
X4 SAE
X1 crowntail betta
X1 candy stripe plec
X1 spotted plec (temp)
A pair of apistos double red
I think that's everyone lol

wow how are the betta and gups getting on, cos arent they known to be some of the biggest nippers

keenfish said:
wow how are the betta and gups getting on, cos arent they known to be some of the biggest nippers

They're doing great
The betta has his own little corner & the gups stay mostly on top minding their own business

Commenting on this thread as requested by the OP.

First, nice looking tank! Secondly, there are several things that most discus keepers would have done differently.

When you are growing out a group (10 is a good number by the way), you should start in a smaller tank (29g most likely for a few weeks, then to a 55g) and keep it bare bottom. This is because you should be doing frequent water changes, it is easier for the fish to find food, it is easier to clean, it helps the fish not feel "lost", etc. It is not recommended to grow out fry in a planted tank either. These fish should be kept in a tank between 86-88 degrees in my opinion. As they get older the temp can be reduced. Higher temps help to keep their metabolism up and with all of the frequent feedings you should be doing (5-6 times per day), this will help them get larger in no time.

As far as strains, I can't readily recognize anything yet as they are still small, but I see that you may have a blue diamond and possibly a cobalt. More pics (larger ones too) might provide better clues as to what you have. If you see any discus with 14 vertical bars it is a "snakeskin" variety for sure. If you see a fish with many black spots, commonly referred to as "peppering", then you have a pigeon blood based fish and these fish will not have vertical bars. The spots ARE the bars, or at least would be the bars if it wasn't a pigeon blood. The fish look fairly nice from what I can tell, but it really is hard to judge fish this age. Genetics and the shape/coloring/pattern of the parents is usually the best indicator as to what these fish will look like when they mature. YOU have the ability to impact their shape as well. Properly feeding them and doing regular maintenance will result in bulkier and more rounded shaped discus than starving them and providing poor water quality (I'm sure you've seen the bug-eyed, triangular shaped types before).

bs6749 said:
Commenting on this thread as requested by the OP.

First, nice looking tank! Secondly, there are several things that most discus keepers would have done differently.

When you are growing out a group (10 is a good number by the way), you should start in a smaller tank (29g most likely for a few weeks, then to a 55g) and keep it bare bottom. This is because you should be doing frequent water changes, it is easier for the fish to find food, it is easier to clean, it helps the fish not feel "lost", etc. It is not recommended to grow out fry in a planted tank either. These fish should be kept in a tank between 86-88 degrees in my opinion. As they get older the temp can be reduced. Higher temps help to keep their metabolism up and with all of the frequent feedings you should be doing (5-6 times per day), this will help them get larger in no time.

As far as strains, I can't readily recognize anything yet as they are still small, but I see that you may have a blue diamond and possibly a cobalt. More pics (larger ones too) might provide better clues as to what you have. If you see any discus with 14 vertical bars it is a "snakeskin" variety for sure. If you see a fish with many black spots, commonly referred to as "peppering", then you have a pigeon blood based fish and these fish will not have vertical bars. The spots ARE the bars, or at least would be the bars if it wasn't a pigeon blood. The fish look fairly nice from what I can tell, but it really is hard to judge fish this age. Genetics and the shape/coloring/pattern of the parents is usually the best indicator as to what these fish will look like when they mature. YOU have the ability to impact their shape as well. Properly feeding them and doing regular maintenance will result in bulkier and more rounded shaped discus than starving them and providing poor water quality (I'm sure you've seen the bug-eyed, triangular shaped types before).

I didn't have anything smaller that would've been appropriate for them
Also I have the temp at 86-87
They're young but I think they're out of the fry stage
They shoal since they've been in there they know exactly where the food is at & occasionally feed by hand
They eat bloodworms & live blackworms also have some tropical flakes veggie based going to get also beefheart
I do a 50% WC a week with aged water (pain in the but)

Sounds like you are giving them a good balance in their diet. I am in favor of frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in addition to live blackworms, a nutritious flake, NLS Cichlid Sinking 1mm Pellets, and of course beefheart. Keep them well fed and they will continue to grow for you. I would consider these fish to be young juveniles for what it's worth. And changing 90g once a week is why most people raise them in smaller tanks for the first half a year. You will still change 90g per week, but you will do it over the course of 3-4 times rather than all at once.

bs6749 said:
Sounds like you are giving them a good balance in their diet. I am in favor of frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in addition to live blackworms, a nutritious flake, NLS Cichlid Sinking 1mm Pellets, and of course beefheart. Keep them well fed and they will continue to grow for you. I would consider these fish to be young juveniles for what it's worth. And changing 90g once a week is why most people raise them in smaller tanks for the first half a year. You will still change 90g per week, but you will do it over the course of 3-4 times rather than all at once.

I've been considering the idea of a sump to have more water & ease it up on the water changes

Have u considered an automatic water change system. I'm planning a discus tank now and have been looking at YouTube vids and articles on DIY auto water change setups.

Takes about as much setup and planning as a sump, but then it just runs itself and constantly refreshes the water instead of a massive 90 gallon change all at once.

Right now my plan is to figure out a way to run the water in a splitter from my washing machine outs since it is right on the other side of the wall.

Updates!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120331_060243.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_060243.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20120331_060329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_060329.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20120331_060428.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_060428.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 116
Lol my little brother designed our tank when we got it, it isn't very good looking right now haha. They won't let me re-do it

More pics:)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120331_234631.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_234631.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120331_234718.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120331_234718.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom