180 Gallon Tank - No Idea What to Stock With!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't posted on here in a loooong time! :wave: Long story very short, I have been going through a lot of difficulties and medical issues lately, so I haven't been on much. :(

Anyways, I am getting a 180 gallon tank!! :flasingsmile: It was handmade, acrylic. 6'x2'x2'. It was plumed for saltwater, but I will be using it for freshwater.

Since this tank is SO big, and there's SO many options, I really don't have a for sure idea of what I want in it.... So... Opinions, please? :)

I'd say go with new world cichlids like geophagus or some angelfish. Another option would be a large community tank with many schools of different tetra species. An amazon or Asian biotope would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do really want more angel fish.... Geos are cool too... I was thinking a community tank, but my 33g and 25g are both community tanks. I was also thinking about an amazon biotope, like I said I would like more angels, some apistos, etc. But asian fish are neat too. I like the gourami's and gobies, etc. Like I said, too many options :lol:

Maybe you do some discus and whatever is compatible and have a community based around them?

I'd love Discus, but I'm afraid that I would kill them :lol:

I'm the same way so I'm working my way up with hard to keep fish that are cheaper, going to get a pair of german blue rams soon and see how well they do in my tank, I have hard water so not sure how well them or discus would do in it. Hopefully well.

Pair of rams and a few hundred neons and rummy nose tetras haha.

with that size tank come to the dark side ...festae Not my picture.

Attachments

• Cichlasomafestaefemale.jpg
    Cichlasomafestaefemale.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 164
100 Neon tetras! jk but I would go Bala's and Clown loaches, and a rare pleco species and some corries.

Would an Arawana work on a 180? That would be cool.

I wouldn't go with the bala sharks. A planted rainbowfish tank would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to rainbows or an African river system with Congo tetras, kribensis, upside down cats, African butterflyfish would be stunning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

An African tank would be nice. Most people know Africa just for the cichlids. Congo tetras, synodontis cats, or even my favorite; mastacembelus elipsifer would be nice.

Hmm, an African community tank would be neat. I hadn't thought about a planted rainbow fish tank either. Can you keep anything with the rainbow fish? How would you stock it?

You could add some corydoras or some top dwellers like hatchetfish with the rainbows. I'd go with species like boesmanis, irian reds, turquoise, or axelrodi rainbows.

Just looked up the price of rainbow's... Oh boy, they are expensive. I don't think i could afford to fill a tank with those.

A school of Congo tetras would look great. Nannocharax tetras would be interesting bottom dwellers.

Reason I am asking is that I would really like some more Angels, and I would like to try some species of Dwarf Cichlids. Some of the African Tetras are cool, as well as some other fish species.

Back
Top Bottom