194G IPI tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not an accurate statement..I can go stress the heck out of my tank and no ick will affect my fish..If you keep it out ,it won't just appear out of nowhere

Lefty,love the nice open look,,tank and fish look great(y)

i'm sure there are a few ich parasites swimming around every system even the best QTed

Put clowns and nems in tank today...

Bonnie and Clyde
img_1826486_0_eac661e616337c65b1601c4dd418bba6.jpg

New clam from frag swap
img_1826486_1_00795a6a406540a8183edcbc47f3359d.jpg

Mini nems, still mad from the move over
img_1826486_2_50b7828cb360139593fc276fcde24eed.jpg

So, I almost killed the yellow and powder brown tangs 5 weeks ago with my first 2 gallon addition for hypo. I had made the water up, ph balanced it and then it sat for a few days in my living room. I think my two year old might have put something in there because within about two minutes of adding it, both tangs were upside down.

I had the 29 set up with Rick in there from when I broke down my 72g and was just keeping the rock live for a trade that was waiting to happen. I grabbed both tangs (easy to do when they are upside down) and threw them in the 29. Of course this was all at bedtime. I watched them for a little bit, one was immediately looking better the other was iffy. By am both were back to normal. So I did the trade and they have been in the 29 with a plastic PVC tunnel. No signs of any disease, I did do prazipro.

I will put them in DT tomorrow as that will mark 37 days that I have had them and no signs of anything. The yellow did beat the powder brown up the first few days so it had boo boos but those healed and they get along great in the 29. 20g might have been pushing it, but I wanted them stressed to see if there was ich. I think almost killing them was hopefully enough stress to bring it out :(

Any advice for/against it? I really wanted to treat them, but after almost killing them I want to avoid it as I have not seen any ich.

tank shots...powder brown is going to town on algae in the tank and everyone is getting along. The kole tang was trying to stab them last night when they went in (he is 1/2 the size) but they are all fine this am. I put them in when the lights were almost out.

img_1874577_0_a553abfd20c22db46cf289d9aff6015a.jpg

img_1874577_1_c1c68aaa219908685dba83fc59e64300.jpg

img_1874577_2_e0a4e557fb08278bed04c55a524b5eda.jpg

I got Dori (blue hippo) today! And Bingo, a diamond goby for sifting the sand. Both are in my 29 QT. I have decided to do the tank transfer method with them. So in 12 days, if there was ich on either, it should be gone! Then it will be 4 weeks to observe and treat anything else that might pop up.

Congrats on Dori! I couldn't wait to get mine, such a beautiful fish!

Good luck with the new additions and by the way, the tank is looking great! Love those clowns fish!

Thanks Carey! I did my first tank transfer this am for dori and bingo in the QT.

I just love watching the DT now, the powder brown and yellow tang really brought everyone else out. They all look awesome swimming together. Even the engineer goby comes out to swim! I keep watching them, 5 weeks was the shortest I've ever had fish in the QT, always worrying, lol.

I sit in a chair in front of my 125g and just watch it. LOL Always something going on and it's soo much fun to watch the tangs. :)

Continued good luck with your new tank and fish!

I love my tangs, so glad I got the large tank for them. My three roam the tank together, so awesome to watch.

Their movements and beauty just suck you in! I can't wait to add Dori to the mix. She is little though, about 2", so I'm hoping she grows some during QT time.

I do my second tank transfer tomorrow am! No signs of ich on either, curious to see after the transfers are done and I start my observation time before adding in the tank. Both love frozen right now. Everyone in the tank eats pellets, flakes, frozen, etc. Hoping to get these two to that point before going into DT.

Finally built a shelf with egg crate and got the super reef octopus skimmer back in the sump. It was in too much water, apparently the stickers on them and the manual are incorrect, they need about 6" of water not 10-14.

Third tank transfer today in QT land for dori and diamond. No problems, and both are eating pellets and flakes!!

Finally ordered the Neptune Apex controller!

You're gonna love the controller. I have the reefkeepr elite , pretty much they do the same thing so you should enjoy the automation. I have everything with a plug hooked in plus my ATO, it's really nice to have, set and forget. :)

I'm looking forward to shutting off all pumps and skimmer for feeding time with the push of a button.

Diamond found the only opening big enough to fit through and went carpet surfing...and I wasn't there to save him :(

Final tank transfer went well but Dori just hides without diamond there. I like doing QT with two fish, it seems like they always help each other be more comfortable.

Adjusting lights in DT, might email Aqua illumination for some settings, the lights are a few inches higher than in the 72, and all my SPS except the green have turned that purple brownish color. Nothing is dying, but they are not the pretty colors they once were. I checked parameters, calcium 520, Mg 1400-1500 (I got impatient and added to many squirts at the end), no measurable ammonia, nitrites, possibly 5 on trates but it is hard to tell if the color changed at all, phosphate was .04 with the Hanna checker, salinity is held constant with ATO at 1.026.

Zoas seem fine and I have them on the sand bed. RBTA keeps moving around, so I know it isn't happy yet.

Made an acclimation box for inside the DT, Dori is in there so everyone can see her and not hurt her, she is sooooo tiny compared to them. I swear though she has grown 1/2" in the 4 weeks I have had her. No signs of disease after tank transfer and prazipro. Can't wait to let her free in there...
img_1916218_0_2d99f5cdff2c3db1687a0a3d672c7d24.jpg

What did I ever do without a controller? Now I can use my phone to turn off the maxijet to change the GFO and carbon, lol. I have to figure out the programing a bit, it is different than the ACJr I had.

Got new fish for the QT, will do tank transfer with them as well, it's quick, and easy, I like it! 12 days and done, then observe for a few more weeks. I got a diamond goby that is about 4", 3 orange line chromis and 2 kaudern cardinals.

She is so small. Kole tang let into her with his mouth and one slash of his scalpel and that was it. She came out swimming a few hours later and they are all swimming around!

img_1917458_0_192dfd1cd1003885ae96041325938e57.jpg

img_1917458_1_a47bb913c2d6ea91565ca24aee1fb2d5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom