2.3g Longggg - Shrimp Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say my favorite way was when you had both pieces in it. It just made such a beautiful flow :)

Yeah I agree it looked really good with both pieces in it but it really did look cramped like there wouldn't be very much room for plants

My favorite was both pieces as well. I can see how it takes up quite a bit of the tank though.

Is the slate screwed or caulked?

If screwed, you can loosen it and turn the slat so the smaller size lip is on the bottom.

I liked the filter on the left, drift wood though starting 1/3 from left with base curving to the point with the point to the right, though not touching the glass, having it terminate a couple inches before.

Also the arch would end up in the last 1/3rd of the tank making it a nice location for the feature area, using the rule of thirds.

The eye likes to start at the left and move toward the right, as if we are reading a page. By starting the base at that point in the tank it would leave a nice planting area on the left in front of the filter, blocking it off after they grow in.

The odd angle (you mentioned in relation to the slate) could be mitigated once there is substrate in there and maybe a stone to help prop it up/balance it.

Last edited:
My favorite was both pieces as well. I can see how it takes up quite a bit of the tank though.

Is the slate screwed or caulked?

If screwed, you can loosen it and turn the slat so the smaller size lip is on the bottom.

I liked the filter on the left, drift wood though starting 1/3 from left with base curving to the point with the point to the right, though not touching the glass, having it terminate a couple inches before.

Also the arch would end up in the last 1/3rd of the tank making it a nice location for the feature area, using the rule of thirds.

The eye likes to start at the left and move toward the right, as if we are reading a page. By starting the base at that point in the tank it would leave a nice planting area on the left in front of the filter, blocking it off after they grow in.

The odd angle (you mentioned in relation to the slate) could be mitigated once there is substrate in there and maybe a stone to help prop it up/balance it.

It's screwed and rusted. It does swivel though. I think I understand what your saying. The rule of thirds is what I was going for with the tunnel under the wood. It would be about a 1/3 of the tank wide and about 2/3 of the way in (from the left). I might see if I can draw a picture. :/

And the wood touches the back and front of the tank already. I don't think I can change that without changing the arch. It's only 12cm from front to back.

It's screwed and rusted. It does swivel though. I think I understand what your saying. The rule of thirds is what I was going for with the tunnel under the wood. It would be about a 1/3 of the tank wide and about 2/3 of the way in (from the left). I might see if I can draw a picture. :/

And the wood touches the back and front of the tank already. I don't think I can change that without changing the arch. It's only 12cm from front to back.

Like post #43 but scoot it to the right almost all the way just not the point touching the right side.

Then the arch will be over the right 1/3rd.

This is coming along nicely Mumma.of.two. I cant wait for the finished product! I think im as excited as you are

I hope it will live up to everyone's expectations now!

Checked the temp this morning and its a nice 70F. Considering we don't have any heating on overnight and its mid winter here, I'm pretty happy with that.

Last edited:
I hope it will live up to everyone's expectations now!

Checked the temp this morning and its a nice 70F. Considering we don't have any heating on overnight and its mid winter here, I'm pretty happy with that.

I wish it was mid winter here. Im tired of 90 degree days (32 or so Celsius) and I have yet to see a bad tank from you. They're all awesome!

Back
Top Bottom