2.5 gallon betta tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any ideas? I have so far
1 betta
3 horned nerites (how should i supplement feeding eventually?)
1 ghost shrimp.

I wan more ideas for mates because im afraid the betta would kill shrimp!! Problem is..i REALLY want shrimp! Any help is appreciated..:)

I dont know any fish that would do well with a betta in a 2.5, sorry about that. Can't help you there. Wait, possibly boraras micros? I think the betta would eat them though...

For supplementation, you can boil veggies like Zuch and just put them in the tank. However ive heard of people mixing an egg and some sprinula powder together on flat rocks to make some algea that inverts (especially snails) go crazy for. I've always wanted to try it, just ordered some sprinula powder off the web. I'll let you know how it goes:) it's super super easy too!

nothing should be in a tank that small.i personally think 2.5 gallons is crazy.yes he will be ok in there but you really need to buy the best for your fish.this is his home remember and for a little extra money i would advise a 5 gallon.he would be much happier.

I personally wouldn't put anything else in the tank.

With the Betta in there you don't have a lot of spare room, none at all if I'm being blunt.

As said above a larger tank would be better, that way not only will the Betta have more space but your options for tank mates increases too.

DAZZLER87 said:
nothing should be in a tank that small.i personally think 2.5 gallons is crazy.yes he will be ok in there but you really need to buy the best for your fish.this is his home remember and for a little extra money i would advise a 5 gallon.he would be much happier.

Oh well, maybe i should have mentioned this. This betta is a lucky son of a gun to even be IN my tank.

He was in my friends un filtered, terrible bowl that they would do water changes on without even dechlorinator. This tank is all ive got at the moment for him. Maybe someday i can get a nice 5 gallon.

Please dont flame me for haveing him in a 2.5, i did the best i could for this fish and he is much healthier than he was before.

You dont even suggest shrimp for this tank..?

Austin.b said:
I dont know any fish that would do well with a betta in a 2.5, sorry about that. Can't help you there. Wait, possibly boraras micros? I think the betta would eat them though...

For supplementation, you can boil veggies like Zuch and just put them in the tank. However ive heard of people mixing an egg and some sprinula powder together on flat rocks to make some algea that inverts (especially snails) go crazy for. I've always wanted to try it, just ordered some sprinula powder off the web. I'll let you know how it goes:) it's super super easy too!

Thanks! Yeah, i guess he will be alone. I just wanted to know if there were any shrimp at all that he might not eat, or somthing.

Thanks dude

Scouser said:
As said above a larger tank would be better, that way not only will the Betta have more space but your options for tank mates increases too.

Isnt this true with everything? Lol

Shrimp will be eaten. You have no room for larger Shrimp species.
If you have live plants your Ghost Shrimp might have more places to hide, but some Bettas hunt them down. Try feeding your Betta twice a day, just a couple of Pellets, see if that reduces his aggression towards the Ghost.

3 Nerites ? They may starve. They are amazing algae eaters, but getting them to eat anything else is tricky. Try smooth rocks in a shallow pan of water in a sunny window to grow supplemental food.

Ghost Shrimp are the only shrimp that might live with him and they need hiding places and luck. My Bettas usually are ok with them but
YMMV.

I'm glad you got him out of the bowl. Keep a close eye on the snails. A dead one will pollute the water.

Oh well, maybe i should have mentioned this. This betta is a lucky son of a gun to even be IN my tank.

He was in my friends un filtered, terrible bowl that they would do water changes on without even dechlorinator. This tank is all ive got at the moment for him. Maybe someday i can get a nice 5 gallon.

Please dont flame me for haveing him in a 2.5, i did the best i could for this fish and he is much healthier than he was before.

You dont even suggest shrimp for this tank..?

its really good that you took him out of that bowl.dont think im flaming you for his current home.im not like that :)
he will be fine in there but would do much better in something bigger which would allow you to add something else.check out some second hand tanks you could prob get a nice 30 litre tank for roughly £30 which would be great for him.(y)

some bettas wont hurt shrimp. mine would chase them a little,but never actively hunted them. shrimp add very slightly more than water does to the bioload,i think a couple of them would be fine. and maybe just 1 nerite

alLexX said:
some bettas wont hurt shrimp. mine would chase them a little,but never actively hunted them. shrimp add very slightly more than water does to the bioload,i think a couple of them would be fine. and maybe just 1 nerite

Cool, maybe mine would live. The ghost is still okay so who knows!

DAZZLER87 said:

Nano fish would do great in a tank that size. Many Nanos stay at an inch long.

Besides a Betta, I think only a slow fish like a Scarlet Badis pair would be my picks for a 2.5.
with the Badis being the ONLY fish, not With a Betta !

I'd tend to stock Shrimpz instead.

not if the bettas gonna be in it. if there's a betta,no other fish

alLexX said:
not if the bettas gonna be in it. if there's a betta,no other fish

I agree. I don't even think a betta should be in that tank.

Guys, can we stop saying that the tank is too small for a betta. The OP certainly knows this. No need to keep saying It over again. This filtered, cycled tank is much better than a torture chamber bowl. I'm sure the OP will upgrade the tank as soon as he can:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom