2.5g Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couldn't agree more. Flourish tabs are head and shoulders above the rest. No nitrate spikes like DIY Osmocote tabs, they don't turn to dust in a day like most of the others and they last 3-6 months unlike some that need to be replaced monthly. Only reason they aren't universal is because they cost more than other kinds. I still use some DIY tabs but flourish is my mainstay.

I'm planning on getting some. I'm out of money at the moment. On the 2.5 it should only take like two right?

On another note. I got the 20g all set up. I'm going to sculpt the substrate soon and add my ammonia to get the cycle going. I'm not going to put co2 into it until I get all my plants. Probably another month or so.

I may be moving in a few months so I'm going to hold off until then. I didn't know I was going to be moving so now I've just got an empty tank sitting. At least it will be cycled.

Yeah, two should be fine. I put 5 in my 5.5 gallon but it's a long tank even though it's small and the plants are spaced out. To bad you'll have to move the tank. Hopefully you won't be going to far.

Brian or Coralline, my pH has dropped to 6.6 in my 2.5g. I'm pretty sure it's probably because of the driftwood. Is that normal? I don't want it to stall the cycle.

Also, here is a possible layout for my 20g. Any thoughts on this? Do you think it would work? Remember I'm hoping for a nice carpet of HC across the whole bottom. And....it's definitely not to scale. :p

71090-albums11047-picture47897.png

It's likely to be the driftwood. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to do a water chance to replenish the minerals you can but the driftwood will soften it again. Many people use driftwood to get that effect.

About the scape, you'll want the java fern tied onto the wood. What kind of hygrophila were you planning to keep in the front? Most are far better suited to the back or middle of the tank. You may want to keep the middle of the tank free from tall leafy plants so the light isn't blocked. Will you be mixing pygmy chain sword with HC?

It's likely to be the driftwood. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to do a water chance to replenish the minerals you can but the driftwood will soften it again. Many people use driftwood to get that effect.

About the scape, you'll want the java fern tied onto the wood. What kind of hygrophila were you planning to keep in the front? Most are far better suited to the back or middle of the tank. You may want to keep the middle of the tank free from tall leafy plants so the light isn't blocked. Will you be mixing pygmy chain sword with HC?

Alright. I won't be too worried about it right now then. I'm just worried about doing water changes down the line with shrimp in there since they need a stable tank.

Hmm. I was going to use Hygrophila Kompakt which isn't supposed to get very tall. Maybe I will tie the Java Fern onto the driftwood and move the Hygrophila to where I had the Java Fern.

Also, I'm just going to let the HC grow where it will grow.

Updated Layout:

71090-albums11047-picture47898.png

That looks like a fine layout. Can't wait to see it planted. If you have any ideas for my layout let me know on my build thread. It's only 7 weeks old though so it has a lot of growing in to do. :)

That looks like a fine layout. Can't wait to see it planted. If you have any ideas for my layout let me know on my build thread. It's only 7 weeks old though so it has a lot of growing in to do. :)

Thanks! I may switch the Dwarf Sag for the 2nd Anacharis because I want a nice tall plant to try and block the view of the equipment.

Right now, I'm trying to decide on how I want to scape my substrate. I'm thinking of maybe having it 1" deep in the left front corner sloping up diagonally to where it's about 3" deep in the back right corner.

Also, is the CO2 diffuser a problem right by the filter intake? I don't want it to get sucked up the filter and then released into the air when it falls back into the water.

If you put the diffuser 1/4" - 1/2" above the intake it'll be fine. A few micro bubbles will always get sucked in even if it's on the other side of the tank. It's no different than a few bubbles escaping at the surface.

If you put the diffuser 1/4" - 1/2" above the intake it'll be fine. A few micro bubbles will always get sucked in even if it's on the other side of the tank. It's no different than a few bubbles escaping at the surface.

I will have to remember that. I was told to put it as low as you could to increase the time the CO2 was in the water. I guess I'll move it up.

No, I mean it's no real issue either way. Before diffusers I used to put the co2 line right into my canister filter intake. Low is great but it doesn't need to be at the bottom unless you have a real short tank. As long as "you" feel good about where it's at. That's important also. Best for the tank isn't always best for the aquarist.

No, I mean it's no real issue either way. Before diffusers I used to put the co2 line right into my canister filter intake. Low is great but it doesn't need to be at the bottom unless you have a real short tank. As long as "you" feel good about where it's at. That's important also. Best for the tank isn't always best for the aquarist.

Alright. I'll leave it where it is then.

Also, my AquaClear 50 just quit working...it was brand new. :(

As for the placement of the diffuser, I'd place it as low as possible. But if you notice a lot of bubbles getting sucked up, you can try placing it higher as what coralline mentioned. Either way you'll have a drop checker to let you know if either way you chose is working.

As for the AC filter.. is it just not turning on? Like DOA? Or did it work and when you unplugged it and then plugged it back in, it just didn't start back up? I've experienced the latter issue with all my AC filters and Fluval C2... in this case, if the impeller doesn't start back up, take a skewer stick and kinda nudge the impeller blade to give it a little help to start. Works everytime for me. Love the filters, just boggles my mind about this design flaw.

It started smoking and died....

Also do you have a filter on your 2.5g? I can't seem to find one that will work with the glass hood.

Wow smoking! Crazy! You know for the 2.5g, check out the Azoo Palm Filter.. I got one for a 2g cube once and it's an awesome little filter! Got mine from Dr. Fosters.

Wow smoking! Crazy! You know for the 2.5g, check out the Azoo Palm Filter.. I got one for a 2g cube once and it's an awesome little filter! Got mine from Dr. Fosters.

I'll have to check it out.

And yes, smoking. I'm just glad nothing is in it yet.

Also, I don't think that filter will work with a glass hood.

Honestly, a small sponge filter would be fine. The fish shop I go to is amazing and breeds dozens on fish right in the store's stock tanks and every freshwater tank uses only sponge filters. They're the best choice for shrimp anyway.

Honestly, a small sponge filter would be fine. The fish shop I go to is amazing and breeds dozens on fish right in the store's stock tanks and every freshwater tank uses only sponge filters. They're the best choice for shrimp anyway.

I was just thinking about getting some filter sponge and hooking it up to some airline tubing with a check valve.

Would work fine though most shops sell them for a few bucks. I always keep one around for quarantine. I just put a filter pad from my main tank under it and it's like instant cycle! Gotta love simple solutions. :)

Back
Top Bottom