2.5g Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would work fine though most shops sell them for a few bucks. I always keep one around for quarantine. I just put a filter pad from my main tank under it and it's like instant cycle! Gotta love simple solutions. :)

I have a pump in my 5.5g that I'm going to take out since I don't need it in there anymore. I only had it in there for when it was cycling, but now that's done with.

How big of a piece of sponge should I use, and should I bury it?

I'd just buy a small sponge filter at a shop. They stay together way better than DIY ones. All you do is squeeze the air out inside the tank, add the airline and place it on top of the gravel in the tank anywhere you like. They're weighted so they don't float to the top which can be tricky if you make one. I'd run it for a week with your cycled filter so it can get bacteria. If your old pump used a pad or floss you can place it under the sponge filter instead. Does that make sense?

I'd just buy a small sponge filter at a shop. They stay together way better than DIY ones. All you do is squeeze the air out inside the tank, add the airline and place it on top of the gravel in the tank anywhere you like. They're weighted so they don't float to the top which can be tricky if you make one. I'd run it for a week with your cycled filter so it can get bacteria. If your old pump used a pad or floss you can place it under the sponge filter instead. Does that make sense?

You mean just a regular sponge, like you would replace in your filter?

bevoholic said:
I was looking at those as well...seems like it would be huge in a 2.5g.

Would this be a good one? Filter

Either would work but I'd get the Jordans. It's less than 3" tall which should be easy to hide behind wood or plants. I've also used the flat triangular ones (from Lee I think) but the Jordans looks great. It's actually about the size of those tiny Fluval intake sponges people use to put over their filter intakes to protect baby shrimp from getting sucked into their power filters.

I just ordered that sponge you mentioned coralline. Also ordered a box of 40 flourish tabs. How many should I put down in my 2.5g? I'm not going to put any in my 20g yet, since I don't have any plants.

Hi there! Just wondering. Where did you get this tank, how much, and what brand? Im looking to get a simslar size tank

Just put one under each group of plants that root into the substrate. I'd probably use 2-4 depending on the plants. It's kind of like having bottom feeding catfish. Each catfish needs some sinking food. Every group of rooted plants can use a tab. Root tabs are for "bottom feeding" plants and liquid ferts are for column feeding plants (anubias, ferns, moss, penywort, etc..). The number needed is dictated on what plants you choose to grow.

Just put one under each group of plants that root into the substrate. I'd probably use 2-4 depending on the plants. It's kind of like having bottom feeding catfish. Each catfish needs some sinking food. Every group of rooted plants can use a tab. Root tabs are for "bottom feeding" plants and liquid ferts are for column feeding plants (anubias, ferns, moss, penywort, etc..). The number needed is dictated on what plants you choose to grow.

I only have 3 root plants in there. One anubias, and two PCS.

Did some pruning today, added two root tabs, moved the anubias to the bottom of the driftwood. Hopefully the root tabs will help the chain swords take off.

71090-albums11034-picture48558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom