2 constipated cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
one more severe than the other, the two pigs of the tank... the severe one looks horrible! so bloated like a pregnant woman... what can i do?

You need to get them some peas ASAP, boil them for a few minutes and take the out shell off, just squeeze them with your fingers the inside will pop out. If they pea is still a bit hard I usually squeeze it again to get it nice and soft - best constipation cure you can use, works nearly every time. You should also feed them peas regularly as they are good for most fish. My SA cichlids go mad for peas, seem to be there favourite food and often results in fights when they are put in so I have to put some in each corner.

Yes do the peas and fast them for one to two days. I just had this issue when my jewels went nuts on an algae wafer. They're great now!

one more severe than the other, the two pigs of the tank... the severe one looks horrible! so bloated like a pregnant woman... what can i do?

What are you typically feeding them and how often?

+1 to the peas and then fasting

If they have bloat and it's very visible unfortunately it may be too late. Search for treating bloat and see what you can do, I've never dealt with it and forget the treatment.

What kind of cichlids do you have and what do you feed them?

that must be exactly it, i gave them an algae wafer yesterday just to try it out with them and shortly later BOOM .. i hope they'll be okay, I'll do the peas tonight, any specific type i should use?

xsamrlx17 said:
that must be exactly it, i gave them an algae wafer yesterday just to try it out with them and shortly later BOOM .. i hope they'll be okay, I'll do the peas tonight, any specific type i should use?

I think if you catch it quick they'll be fine. Just regular frozen peas, just be sure to pop them from the shell. I don't even cook mine I just put them in tank water until it thaws out. I feed about ten peas each time. :) good luck! It took mine two days to pass everything but all is well

With algae wafers its Better to soak them a bit and give it to them that way. If I don't do this mine will swallow the peices whole :/

Back
Top Bottom