2 female betta, 1 gallon vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, all your fish would do much better in a 95% stocked tank rather than in 1 gallon bowls.

You realize that your 1 gallons are like 400% stocked with 2 bettas, 200% with 1 betta, and atleast 500+% with one platy?

If you cared about your animals more than yourself, then you wouldn't have a problem with rehoming them.

You should be more worried about your platy getting a tank than your betta too

I do worry about them and care about them but I literally have 0 moniez and my friend has some aggressive fish to eat my platy...

You need a WAY bigger tank!!!! A 5 gallon at least (for the Betas themselves) For all your fish, I would suggest a 10 gallon with a lot of hiding places

:p

You need a WAY bigger tank!!!! A 5 gallon at least (for the Betas themselves) For all your fish, I would suggest a 10 gallon with a lot of hiding places

It might work, but my platy has been known to murder :/ but most likely I'll upgrade at Xmas... that's the best I'll get.

Platies are community fish that spend their days breeding and picking at algae. I've kept more than 50 platies in my time fish keeping with endlers, shrimp, cories, etc. The most "murduring" they have ever done is eat their own fry and pick on little shrimp. What has your platy killed?

Platies are community fish that spend their days breeding and picking at algae. I've kept more than 50 platies in my time fish keeping with endlers, shrimp, cories, etc. The most "murduring" they have ever done is eat their own fry and pick on little shrimp. What has your platy killed?

Supposedly it killed his other platy.

What size tank was it in? If it was under 5 gallons you can't really call the fish a killer, even if it did kill the fish.

I fell into the same trap listening to petco, but never get a single PAIR of fish, no matter what type, especially betas or gouramis. I put two female betas together on one occasion and two black skirt tetras together on another, if there are only 2 of them they establish a pecking order and one constantly gets picked on. You will probably have to end up moving them for the best interest of the fish happiness. You need a heater, and a filter, and a light, and at least a 5 Gal tank for EACH Beta. You can add other fish with female betas, I keep two cory cats and 2 tetras with my white beta and 2 frogs and a blue gourami with my other red beta in a 10 gal. Always buy individual fish or get them in groups of 3+. gouramis are also territorial and don't go good with betas, youd need at least a 10 gal if you wanted them to have just enough room to claim territory.

I do worry about them and care about them but I literally have 0 moniez and my friend has some aggressive fish to eat my platy...

1. If your platy is a "killer" (which I doubt it was your platy killing the other) then it should do fine with more aggressive fish.

2. If you don't feel safe putting your platy in there, you should definitely not put a betta in it! A betta is much smaller and slower swimming than a platy.

Bettas can't live longer than 5 years?

False.

I've had a couple live for 6, and one for 8. It all depends on the care you give them. Most don't give them the correct care so they don't live that long, and sometimes you end up with just a really hardy betta that can survive in the worst conditions for an extremely long time.

I'll say that the bettas that lived 7+ years in a 1 gallon bowl that you've heard of are the exceptions and were just really hardy fish, or maybe whoever owned them was amazing at doing water changes and had a good heater.

You really should consider getting a 10 gallon Ninja. you've already heard my opinion so I won't go through it all again, but please just take the advice given on here.

On average... but they're are few. You see, on average, humans live 67.2 on world average in 2010, but Jeanne Calment lived to 122 years.

False.

I've had a couple live for 6, and one for 8. It all depends on the care you give them. Most don't give them the correct care so they don't live that long, and sometimes you end up with just a really hardy betta that can survive in the worst conditions for an extremely long time.

I'll say that the bettas that lived 7+ years in a 1 gallon bowl that you've heard of are the exceptions and were just really hardy fish, or maybe whoever owned them was amazing at doing water changes and had a good heater.

You really should consider getting a 10 gallon Ninja. you've already heard my opinion so I won't go through it all again, but please just take the advice given on here.

I can't buy a tank, I've said that! I'll upgrade at Christmas but that's the best I'll get.

Well in 5+ years get back to us on how your bettas are doing. But seriously, re-home the fish. Either get a job and buy a sustainable tank or give the fish away. Keeping a beautiful, innocent fish in a gallon of water is cruel IMO. I understand juvenile males waiting to be sold, but not a pet that needs a long term home.

Well in 5+ years get back to us on how your bettas are doing. But seriously, re-home the fish. Either get a job and buy a sustainable tank or give the fish away. Keeping a beautiful, innocent fish in a gallon of water is cruel IMO. I understand juvenile males waiting to be sold, but not a pet that needs a long term home.

I've tried multiple jobs, and my parents won't let me rehome fish or babysit. No one will hire me at 13... I can't do anything about it.:nono:

This is a great example of the number one rule of fishkeeping (IMO). Be able to keep fish. If you can't give the fish what they need, you shouldn't have them. Fish are just like any other pet, and should be treated like any other pet. If you only had a tiny backyard, you wouldn't buy a horse. Obviously people don't do that because horses aren't cheap, but you get the point. I guess all you can do now is take all of this as a lesson. And make sure you take darn good care of those fish. 100% water changes every day. My guess is that you'll slack off on maintenance and the fish will perish sooner than they should've, but at least it will hopefully never happen again. Best if luck to you.

This is a great example of the number one rule of fishkeeping (IMO). Be able to keep fish. If you can't give the fish what they need, you shouldn't have them. Fish are just like any other pet, and should be treated like any other pet. If you only had a tiny backyard, you wouldn't buy a horse. Obviously people don't do that because horses aren't cheap, but you get the point. I guess all you can do now is take all of this as a lesson. And make sure you take darn good care of those fish. 100% water changes every day. My guess is that you'll slack off on maintenance and the fish will perish sooner than they should've, but at least it will hopefully never happen again. Best if luck to you.
I'm sorry, rookie mistake! I bet you guys have made mistakes. But now your judging me and calling me a slacker because I made a mistake and I don't have the money to fix it like all of you guys??? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom