20 Gallon Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CadillacSlim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Brand new to the forums and just wanted to say hello and show my current cichlid tank. I just finished some regular maintenance and so the water is still a tiny bit cloudy. I've been in the hobby for about 20 years, however I haven't owned in a tank in about 5.

I've been reading quite a bit on the forums and have learned a lot about some of the new methods available. I'm very highly interested in trying to grow some live plants in my next tank and never realized how in depth and at the same time very beautiful those tanks can be.

My current tank is a 20 Gal running an old school filtration system - 2 Powerheads, UG system, and a Biowheel. Both the Powerheads and the Biowheel are hooked up to the UG system. I've got a couple of air stones and the ground is all crushed coral. I'm planning on setting up a 55 in the next 5 months and then transferring my fish over. Yes my 20 Gallon is currently overstocked, but very well maintained. My fish are happy, great color, and are fortunately still very small.

The fish are fed a variety throughout the week: brine shrimp, blood worms, clichlid pellets, and algae wafers.

Current tenants are:

3 X Clown Loaches
1 X Lohachata Botia Loach
2 X Demonasi
1 X Lelupi
1 X Electric Yellow
2 X Rubber nosed Plecos
1 X Blue Lobster
1 X Rainbow Shark

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 603
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 427
Nice looking tank! Your fish look incredible too! (y)

I do agree w/ Crepe though about the Clown Loaches. I only have 1 in my 55 gallon which should be fine when it gets full grown, (it's currently around 1.5"). But 3 at a max full grown length of 12" each probably wouldn't work out too well if you plan on having other fish in there w/ them.

Not lecturing whatsoever btw. ;) The Clown Loach is my favorite fish and if I could have a tank full of them, I would! They are so much fun to watch when they're digging through the substrate looking for food particles! lol

Keep up the good work on your tank! :D

I hear you on the potential growth of the Clown Loaches. I had an 80 gallon about 15 years ago that had 8 of them in it for their entire life span. I wasn't able to attain anywhere near the 12" mark, I want to say they were 6-8" or so.

I will definitely continue moving them as necessary, they are hands down some of the most entertaining fish I've ever owned. Their personalities are so distinct and the funny mannerisms (laying on their sides or parking on top of rocks) just keep me watching for hours.

My favorite in the tank has to be the Blue Lobster.. man that guy is the best. He's a serious explorer and has been in every nook and cranny possible. I've even seen him climb the plants and swing down. :D

Well, maybe you could help me. In your experience how fast do Clown Loaches grow? I got mine (IIRC) around 6 months ago. At that time he was a little over an inch long and I'm guess he's currently around 2.5" long. I figured he would have grown faster. /shrug

Oh and yes... the laying on their side stuff! LOL First time I saw this, he was laying on my tree trunk decor and I thought he was dead. I tapped on the glass a couple of times, immediately he flipped upright and gave me a look like, "WTH woman! Can't you see I'm trying to sleep?!" lol

After I found out that they do that. I kept the info to myself and when my husband saw him doing that he was like, "um, honey, I think your fish is dead"... I just started laughing! :D

They'll grow that fast to 4 inches or so, then VERY slow. I know, you thought they were growing slow already... Nope!

That's why an adult clown loach seems so rare and expensive. They get really big, but it'll take forever. There's some 4 inch fish on aquabid right now for $100 for just 3 fish!

IMHO if you want to see these fish at their best, get some more of them than just the one you have now. They truly, truly are adorable in a pack. :)

They'll grow that fast to 4 inches or so, then VERY slow. I know, you thought they were growing slow already... Nope!

That's why an adult clown loach seems so rare and expensive. They get really big, but it'll take forever. There's some 4 inch fish on aquabid right now for $100 for just 3 fish!

IMHO if you want to see these fish at their best, get some more of them than just the one you have now. They truly, truly are adorable in a pack. :)

Well, that's no fun. :( That would be great if they grew as fast as Plecos. Mine went from 2" to 8" in a matter of only 6 months!

I had considered getting another Clown Loach, but my tank is pretty stocked as it is. Plus I have a few new fish in my QT.

Well, maybe you could help me. In your experience how fast do Clown Loaches grow? I got mine (IIRC) around 6 months ago. At that time he was a little over an inch long and I'm guess he's currently around 2.5" long. I figured he would have grown faster. /shrug

As the poster below mentioned, they grow incredibly slow.. When I bought them they were the standard 1-2" in size and over the course of several years they reached 6-8" and at that point everything else I had in the tank had surpassed them quite a bit.

You should definitely get him/her a buddy or two, they are so fun to watch in groups. They really interact as a family quite well!

Love the desgin where did you get the rocks

There's a construction site about 4 blocks from my house that had done a lot of digging for foundations they were laying. I found a ton of rocks everywhere that were perfect in size. I like the real thin ones because they make awesome caves!

I scrubbed them in the sink with hot water and a tooth brush, ran them through the dish washer, and then baked them at 400 degrees in the oven just to make sure I killed anything possible that may be on them.

Shouldn't demasoni be kept in groups of 10 or more? I haven't read about them in a long time, but I recall there being a huge chance of aggression in such small numbers.

I haven't had any problems yet with either of them. They're no more aggressive then any of the other cichlids in there. Oddly enough the YoYo Loach is probably the most aggressive of the bunch. :D

That is a very nice tank, but I don't see a blue lobster (I assume you mean a hammers cobalt blue lobster). Is he hiding? I'm extremely interested in getting one and I'm curious how he gets along with other animals. From everything I've read, they're kind of snappy at first, but get used to everything else quickly and leaves them alone, is that what you've noticed?

That is a very nice tank, but I don't see a blue lobster (I assume you mean a hammers cobalt blue lobster). Is he hiding? I'm extremely interested in getting one and I'm curious how he gets along with other animals. From everything I've read, they're kind of snappy at first, but get used to everything else quickly and leaves them alone, is that what you've noticed?

Yea he's pretty nocturnal, so hard to snap a pic of him during the day and with lights on. He usually hides in his cave that he's claimed in the tank all day long. He has never snapped at any of the fish at all, he has ignored everyone and just keeps to himself. The clown loaches crawl all over him and clean him and he doesn't mind at all. The only one in the tank he sometimes has a problem with is the other cave dweller the Lelupi, but they've learned to just stay in separate parts of the tank.

That's cool, I'm glad he's good with the fish. Lots of people warn me about the possibility of the blue lobster killing or snapping at fish, but just about everyone I've talked to that has had one said they've never had issues. This is very encouraging. Thank you.

That's cool, I'm glad he's good with the fish. Lots of people warn me about the possibility of the blue lobster killing or snapping at fish, but just about everyone I've talked to that has had one said they've never had issues. This is very encouraging. Thank you.

No problem, I just made sure that his tank mates were the same size or more aggressive (cichlids) then he is. I think with slower moving, docile, and smaller fish there may be more of a chance of him going for a quick meal. The only issue I've really had with him, is just getting food to him. My other fish take everything before it hits the bottom, so I've had to put them to sleep around 9pm and then put a good handful of algae wafers in there, he seems to be eating them because they're gone in the morning and he hasn't died yet. :p

Very entertaining little guy to say the least. Occasionally he'll cruise around during the day and he has no fear when exploring the tank.

You should definitely get him/her a buddy or two, they are so fun to watch in groups. They really interact as a family quite well!

I meant to hassle you guys earlier about this, but just so you know... you're a bad influence on me! lol I got another Clown Loach last week. You should feel ashamed and guilt ridden!! :p

He's a cute little guy and feisty! I can't wait to move him from the QT to my display tank. I'm really curious as to how my other CL will react.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom