20 long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
I think that they call them colormax and "growmax" for a good reason. I would try and stick with the daylight bulbs and skip the colormax if you want full PAR potential.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. You just saved me from spending 16$ more on something I don't need. :)

Got it all set up! :) I can't wait until I get my GBRs on Friday! :) what else should I add? Neon or glow light tetras?

I had blue rams, one died the first night (water was fine), the other died after 3 weeks from the stress of moving him to a display tank. So just be careful.

I picked up Bolivian Rams last weekend, and qt them for a week before adding however that was from a store I trust a lot. I would say qt anywhere from 1-4 weeks.

In my 20 long I have 10 neons and 2 Bolivian Rams. I may add a few more neons, but It's heavily planted so it doesn't look empty at all. Honestly if I were you I would leave it stocked at what you have after the rams.

I cleaned out all my filter media from my fluval 206 on the tank.... man, the bio-media was caked with algae!

Yikes!! I think I killed a lot of the BB in the bio media by cleaning it, causing an ammonia spike in my tank, and killing all my fish. I tested it and it was 4 ppm... :(
My other theory is that the temperature was too low because im still waiting on that heater... but I don't think that caused it because temperature being too low doesn't really cause it, its usually fluctuation. I guess I will have to do a 100% water change when I get home from school, and try to save the BB I have left... i'm thinking that if I make sure the colony can convert enough ammonia fast enough, then I can continue with stocking.

ok, I am going to have to start fresh on stocking. I still want the GBR pair though. What else should I get? Glow light tetras?

OK, I am still working on my new stock list but here's my general idea:
-one pair of german blue rams
-3 ottos or at least 4 of whatever cory I can find
-6 neon tetras or 6 glowlight tetras, dependiong on what I can find (or both?)
-some RCS
What do you think? I realize that the tank is unsuitable right now, but I am about to do a 100% water change and clean everything. Then i'll test the water. I can also make sure the tank is still cycled by dosing some ammonia and seeing how long it takes for the BB to convert it all the way to nitrate. I may still get some fish today-probably one of the tetra schools that I listed. I have my ten gallon QT tank set up and ready.

Well, my mom is being rediculous and won't let me do a 10 gallon water change to get the salt out of my QT tank. So there went my hopes of getting any fish tonight. :(
First her excuse was "the fish died because the tank was too cold. You need to get a heater. You don't have the money for one." Then it was "you waste too much water. No more water changes." (Because my QT tank has salt in it ATM and i need to get it out) And now it's "you don't even have a tank ready to go for the fish. You need to wait a while to make sure its ready." I do have a tank ready, which is my QT tank. But she won't let me do a water change. If i'm going to quarantine any fish I get regardless of what is in their future home (display tank), then what is the point of waiting a day until I "have a tank ready"?
She is letting me go tomorrow, though, but only because it's my birthday. So hopefully i'll be able to get them then.

With the pair of GBR'S you could do cardinal tetras and jumbo neons. I have albino jumbo neons and my one ram chills with them lol but he chases the lamp eyes away

So should I get neon or glow-light tetras? Both grow to 2 inches...

I find jumbo neons a bit heartier then glow lights. I had glow lites before and they all kicked the bucket but I've never lost a neon. but if you can get the albino jumbo neons I enjoy those and they add style

Too late... I got glowlights. They are drip acclimating right now. I will post some pictures once I get them in my QT tank

Back
Top Bottom