210g discus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so far so good, I had to seperate all but 4 females angels out of there due to hate crimes and unnessecary bullying. All in all they are doing fantastic.

Thank you very much. We are very much enjoying it and unless something catastropic happens the tank is FINISHED.(till the livestock dies off that is)

Very nice tank. I love discus and how they take care of their babies, but discus scare me ><.

One thought, have you considered rearranging the rear plants by height? I think having the height of the plants slope down to the center will add more depth to the tank, as it kind of acts like an infinity point :). That said, looking at my 29, your 210 has enough depth already... lol

the plants in back started with just two ambulias and the repens ect, the tank is layed out in a fashion where the taller ones are on the rear and right of the tank(in a corner kinda)so it flows from tall on the back right corner to low plants all the way to the left with talls being on right and rear. Its sort of a 45 degree layout but with personal modifications to that design. I use ambulia because its thin but thick, I can see thru it at any time to see any buggers hiding or stressed or DEAD.
Those rear plants will grow in fast, that center one has two others on each side, with ambulia ive noticed the trimmings grow faster and fuller then the rooted part it was trimmed from. that ambulia was two plants at around 3' tall each then cut into 3rds to gain flanking plants, I did mix some colorata ambulia in to break up the lime green look.

The overflows are another aspect that we like hidden to an extent.Figure using vals and taller crypts around those as I did would give me the visual still as well as the camo aspect. With the painted black background the depth is there.

One thing ive noticed is even working with the space I have, it makes one want a bigger tank, just that few more inches of room can completely change the look.

We greatly appreciate the feedback on this tank.
This is our first attempt at keeping discus. They arent hard to keep at all, yes they stress but thats life we all do they get over it like we do rather quickly.
Our tank is high tech, no arguing that but a few simple thought out product purchases and it pretty much runs itself. PWC@ 45g 2x a week with acid.alkaline and equilibrium buffers on RO does them just fine. The less you are in the tank messing around the discus appreciate that.

Your tank is GORGEOUS!!!!! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to get my tanks back up again.

When you settle back in you MUST come see it, if not ill tell your babies you forgot about them..........:angel:

Yesterday, two pairs of discus in that tank laid eggs, I just got home, left early last evening and was gone all day, unsure if they are still there but my GB rams in my 52 laid eggs and ill take pics of their fortifed crib in the morning. They moved a chunk of java moss to their shale sliver(Jason, thank you) and appears to be tucked under one side and the way the returns are it forms a cave almost and one is in fanning(female tonight) and the male was perched on top of the moss ready to lay down the law if needed. I didnt know they,fish in general, knew or were capable of making a structure for safety.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Following. What an amazing tank. You guys did an excellent job! Come do mine lol

And I thought my multi tank syndrome was finally going away.. :D

Oh, and what are you planning to do with the baby rams? I love rams, I am going to get one for my community tank.

Ram eggs are no longer where they were when I posted last night, unsure if they became wigglers in the wee morning hours and were moved by the parents or what, but they arent moving out of that part of the tank yet either.

DK, they are very personable like that, they all eat out of your hand as well.

Lost one yesterday morning. Big breeding male jumped ship. Installed egg crate "lids" for it.

25gq8gk.jpg

Been awhile since I posted, but I'm sure WhiteDevil has kept things up to date. Added 8 - 5" discus from hawaiidiscus.com back in July. Gorgeous fish and not much more than I paid for the 2 inchers I got from discusmadness.com (NJ area). Didn't ship to the door, had to go to O'Hare to pick them up from Delta cargo.

Last month I added a DigitalAquatics ReefKeeper Lite control system; controls temp, pH/CO2 and lighting. I'd recommend this system to anyone. It replaced a standalone temp controller and a Milwaukee SMS122 pH/CO2 controller. My pH now ranges from 6.49 to 6.51 vs the 6.4 to 6.6 it ran with the Milwaukee unit. Also using much less CO2, gone through about 2.5 lbs in the last month. Used to go through 5 lbs in three weeks with the Milwaukee.

Get ready for another build. I've got my eyes on a new 300g acrylic that'll go nicely in a corner of my basement family room.

Few pics to update this thread a bit.
2u7yd77.jpg

2sbqtde.jpg

and the newest trio
n2zeoj.jpg

installed custom cut acrylic tops, tore out all the plants due to medication killing them, installed a 25w UV filter and its driven by a mag drive 9.5 pump.

Future well near future sneak peek.
10 breeder tanks on home made rack.

Will take more pics when the electrical is done and the 210 is completely buttoned back up and then again when the rack goes in and tanks are set up.
6 tanks will be for discus breeding and grow out, 1 QT tank(have plenty of others around here now) and 3 for F1 or purer angelfish.

300g acrylic plans were scrapped.

Looking good! Some pictures must have gotten blocked at work - I don't see the 10 breeder tanks.

I like the new trio though!

They arent here yet, Steve. We had to replumb the 210 for 20gpm sediment filters and a new UV filter, but we took the corner stand out(work station also held the 40 cube QT) got a base cabinet and counter top for it but we are waiting on my neighbor who is supposed to be here in the early AM tomorrow to finish off the electrical work in there before we can install the racking. I havnt posted those pics yet. Also installed a new 300gpd RO unit and got out 300g holding tank last friday, now to go from a 2" outlet down to 3/4 inch.

When this next phase is done our next phase is just the rack and tanks to go in.

PS, I am looking for F1's or purer angelfish, green glitters are on my mind but they must be F1 or better.)Ive been selling out completely of wild angel fry, but lost 10 of my 13 angels to columnaris a month or so back so I gotta start ALL over again.

The new trio is really nice, they were purchased well from left to right(two wild blues and a wild heckle) the center one with more yellow on it was in a CM of water yes centimeter for an entire day, got the boxes from air cargo, popped em open and he appeared dead, 40 minutes later I took pics of the DOA's and he twitched, I put him in a bucket of fresh RO(86 degrees) and he came right back and is actually a pretty dominate fish.

gorgeous! :) Looks like someone has discus fever pretty bad....(shhh so do I...I toyed with SW ideas for a while but keep coming back to these beauties. :)

Back
Top Bottom