23G Rimless Community Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two Ray 2s seems like an awful lot of light... No?

Yeah I tried that once on my 26g bow front...I ended up with green fuzzy algae on everything! The increased PAR, which had me at 80+ at the substrate from 18" distance, did diddly squat to get my stems to color up. It did, however, make everything grow like a jungle.

The planted plus is priced between the regular Fugeray and Ray 2. Meaning, it will cost less and have red diodes to supplement that wavelength in the spectrum. PAR is less but on the flip side it should make colors look more vivid.

I can't find a "planted plus" but found the Fugeray but it has fewer LEDs and a few blue, no red... it's also cheaper than the Ray2

I'd like the option of having red plants too

I wonder if the Ray2 is dim-able?

I'm liking that Planted+ from what I have seen... and now the waiting game

Would you get 2 of the fugeray planted+? You could run one for 9 hours with a burst of the second for 4-5 hours.

What are you dry starting with? I have some HC growing emersed.

Would you get 2 of the fugeray planted+? You could run one for 9 hours with a burst of the second for 4-5 hours.

What are you dry starting with? I have some HC growing emersed.

I'm not sure about anything yet... so many options.

I guess one "fear" of mine in re DSM is that after all that work, the plants don't convert to submerged and melt.

I like the HC but also really like DHG and am wondering how I can blend and balance both with accents of L. brasiliensis, E. tenellus or Downoi thrown in for good measure

AS is in

Just got notice from UPS that my AquaSoil order was delivered...

One step closer to dry starting the 23G

Eheim purchase scheduled

Just coordinated the purchase of 2 Eheim canisters from a SCAPE member that is tearing down an ADA 60P

I'm getting a gently used 2213 and a 2215 complete with media and double tap connectors this afternoon...

:dance::dance::dance:

Yeah DSM is boring... I'm not doing it on my 60p. But... it's not that boring if your other tanks keep you occupied. Awww...the beauty of MTS!

Today's haul

Here are the two Eheim canisters, pipes, hoses, valves, and SS screen I picked up today from a fellow SCAPE member

20130919_205355.jpg

20130919_205715.jpg

The filters are packed with media, tank water and bb, ready to seed a new tank or 2.

Pipes, fittings and hoses
20130919_204919.jpg

Spare Media
20130919_210441.jpg

18x30" 50 Micron Felt
12x12" Carbon Pad

Hydor ETH 200 Inline Heater
20130919_210821.jpg

Foods and Ferts
20130919_205856.jpg

Ken's Premium Color Max Flake
Fluval Shrimp Granules
ShrimpLab Shrimpball Cuisine
ShrimpLab Ebi Bites
AquariumFertilizer.com Monopotassium Phosphate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Nitrate
AquariumFertilizer.com Potassium Sufate

And a package from ADG ordered late last week
20130919_210220.jpg

I't pretty stoked to say the least :cool:

Yeah DSM is boring... I'm not doing it on my 60p. But... it's not that boring if your other tanks keep you occupied. Awww...the beauty of MTS!

I'm not sure if anything I'm thinking of doing will benefit from a true dry start, but I guess I need to start thinking seriously about planning and executing the build.

I spoke with a SCAPEr today that said he'd DSM'd HC for 2 weeks then flooded with success... $4 a pot at petsolutions.com, free shipping after $49 (y)

Nice stuff! So since you have two eheims, what other tank are you getting (another CAD)?

I'm thinking about running the 2215 on the 23G and use the 2213 on my grow out tank, or run the both in series on the 23G

Do you think a plant only tank (assuming 10-20 gal) needs a 2213?

Yeah some people do DSM "just enough" to get the roots dug in so there's less of a chance of your HC up-rooting out the substrate. Whereas, there are those that DSM the full carpet.. you can go either way.

Last edited:
Yeah some people do DSM "just enough" to get the roots dug in so there's less of a chance of your HC up-rooting out the substrate. Whereas, there are those that DSM the full carpet.. you can go either way.

I'm looking at this list of plants:
10 pots of HC
3 pots of E. tenellus
3 pots of E. acicularis
H. leucocephala
H. pinnatifida
H. sibthorpioides
E. montevidensis (to hide the intake pipe behind)
Fissidens Fontanus​

I think I can dry start the first 3 and I want to try the bio-yoghurt method with the fissidens... so six weeks give or take.

It would seem that before anything "starts" I'll need lights though :blink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom